Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Emphasis on Stopping the Run is Big this Season

By: LONNY DEMAREE

There is going to be a huge emphasis in stopping the run on first and second down this football season. The Cats are looking to break the glass ceiling and to do that they must get over the hurdle of stopping the run.

It would be too soon if we ever see a running back like Georgia Tech’s Dedrick Mills run against the Wildcats for 168-yards. Statistically this back didn’t rank in the top ten in the ACC. Mills running stats in the third quarter and the first GT possession of the fourth quarter totaled 110-yards. Most of this was on first and second down. Only two of those runs were on other than first and second down. That’s not winning football.

It was difficult to see a Kentucky team that overall was a better team than the Georgia Bulldogs everywhere but in the defensive line. This allowed them to own the first and second down play offensively. Which allowed them to control the ball to the tune of 33:59 to 26:01. Georgia’s running backs Sony Michel and Nick Chubb dominated UK’s defensive.

Stoops a former defensive coordinator fully recognizes the ingrown-toe nail of this team and in particular on first and second down defensively. “That’s what we are really focusing on and we’ve got to get them in longer yardage on third down,” Mark Stoops said. “There’s way too many third and shorts – too many first downs in general.”

This is not to mention the Cats were last in quarterback sacks. Nearly 44-percent defensively on third down conversions.

This is where the addition of size in the defensive line in the persons of sophomore T. J. Carter, red-shirt freshman Kordell Looney, and junior college transfer with three years of eligibility Phil Hoskins when he gets healthy, become important. Looney said there was too much lagging around in practice last season. He said – “It’s just different now. There are more stunts and better blitz pickup packages Rather than straight ahead trying to get off blocks.

The defensive linemen in general said that new Defensive Coordinator Derrick LeBlanc is not a holler-guy. He said he doesn’t yell or scream. They are going to be counting on us. He gets after hard after practice.”

“The big emphasis is to get out and make plays in space,” said J. T. Carter that many think could blossom into something very good. “We are trying to be more physical getting off of blocks.”

Another defensive lineman Adrian Middleton with ability will be looked on to take advantage of his two years of experience in the toughest league in the country. In short the Cats need to step up to the run defense to break-through.
    Comments 1 Comment
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by LonnyDemaree View Post
      3-4 is still their base defense.
      Thank again. Have they found that quick hefty, beast that is a junk yard dog to man the middle?
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post