Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Morgan Newton Exibits Class and Humor in New Role

By: LONNY DEMAREE

What did he know and when did he know it? Morgan Newton is no longer in the quarterback picture, which is something he has played all his football career. It's been decided he will be an H-back in thia offense which entails pass catching and blocking for other ball carriers. Newton said he started tinkering with running pass receiving routes and catching balls this summer in pass skels.

Sanders said Morgan Newton Exhibits high praise for Newtons attitude and desire to win games. Newton was asked when they started to develop that role for him? "Over the summer I've run routes with guys and thrown routes with guys and I know where they are supposed to be. Asked when he had been quarterback his whole life, how hard is to except moving to another position? He said - "I think it would be hard if I thought I should be the quarterback. Max (Maxwell Smith) is playing well and he's won some games and I think that works better for the team. I just try to help out where I can help out and go from there. As for as the H-back role he said he was in for six plays Saturday and only one was he lined up in the slot. The rest of the time he was lined up just off the line. Again he said he'll do what ever they tell him. Is he angling for any trick plays? "No," he answered emphatically. When asked if he would have liked to have been throwing to ball on the play Gene McCaskill threw in the Louisville game. He ponder and facetiously said I would've hit that one. Newton is very relaxed and have fun with the media more so than ever. No joking Newton said coach Sanders and Coach Washington are very creative and they will figure it out.

Sanders said Newton had a great attitude. "I told him last spring if he wasn't standing beside me he would be somewhere else," Sanders said. With the decision apparently having been made that Patrick Towles is a red shirt candidate, Sanders was asked what happens if Smith gets hurt? Sanders said - "You win the Kentucky Derby yelling WHOA!"

Newton said what he is doing is not really the "Wildcat" and that he is just trying to help out in short yardage situation. "The Wildcat, that's Jalen's (Whitlow) and Randall's (Cobb) stuff," Newton corrected. "I just try to help out in short yardage. Now if they want to get a little wild and put in some stuff and get some first downs and things, put me in the slot and we'll throw it around a little bit." He intimated he would be comfortable on the receiving end of some passes. He said he's not that from removed from his little brothers who are in the video generation. He said he makes fun of his little brothers but when he was growing up they were locked out of the house to play in the yard and they threw the football areound a lot and in summer skels here the receiver has to throw the ball back to him so his comfort level is fine catching the ball. "If you can't throw and catch what kind of athlete are you," Newton said. "I feel like people should be able to catch if you want to play." He was asked about his sense of humor about his situation and that is? "I think you just kind of have to. I've had lot of good times and bad times, been a part of a lot of good things and seen a lot of success and kind of been in the background so I've been able to watch some of the young guys do a lot of good things. So I'm just enjoying being out here with everybody and trying to help contribute.

About the aforementioned statement Sanders made about him standing next to him Newton said he gives him a lot of credit, some he may not deserve. He said (Laughs) - "He just feels sorry for me but I'm not going to say no Randy, you are wrong. He's just throwing a compliment my way (laughs). Gnaw I'm just kidding, it's good he thinks I can help and I think I can help, too. I don't want to step on any toes. Obviously the offense stays the offense and things stay the way it is. And see if I can help out - it's better than signaling."
    Comments 3 Comments
      Jimcats -
      Most guys would have vastly different feelings when their dreams of greatness at QB (or any position) were dashed. I'm sure he came out of HS with high expectations, NFL perhaps, only to see that other younger QBs are better for the team than he.

I've been a critic of his play but I praise him as a person.
      dan_bgblue -
      Nice Job Lonny.

I think he is really good kid and sincerely hope he can help the Cats this year. He has already thrown a couple of nice blocks that ended in good plays. I am hoping for more.
      Darrell KSR -
      Nice interview, Lonny. I really appreciate Morgan Newton's attitude.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post