Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• John Calipari Implores His Team to Have Fun

By: LONNY DEMAREEJohn Calipari said his team had a great practice yesterday. Obviously when you practice well you come away from it feeling good about yourself. According recent proclamations his team needed to play with more confidence.

The coach wants his team to have fun playing the game and seemingly practice isn't carrying over to the game. He is looking for more consistency from his team and he said it's not the entire team and it's just a couple of guys. "When you've got a couple of guys on the team that's inconsistent that way it's hard to get rhythm and have fun," explained the coach. "You've got to come with the same mindset. You don't have to be perfect but you have to be in the same area code."

He said you have to practice well and then let it go. He allude to the clutter around them. Which is something kids that come to Kentucky have to experience and learn. They have to understand that it means more to the BBN than it does most every other places.

Asked about this time of the year and where he wants his team to be, he said "I'll say it again the inconsistency make's it hard to have fun. You want them to peak at the end of the year. We haven't peaked yet and that's not a bad thing." That entails playing a little more aggressively - more energy - more 50/50 balls - play tougher - make easy plays - stay connected defensively and offensively - lock in more - and that's all the things he said they have to do.

Turnovers have increase since the first the first of the year and what its the reason for that. Cal said - "You guys know that have been followed us in my time here and some of you haven't paying any attention, you know that early in the year we've got "our-thing" because no one knows our team. We're new. But then there comes a time when they say - alright this is what we have to take away." He said all of a sudden they (the Cats) are not frolicking, having fun, and not getting as many layups.

Calipari said then you've got a bunch of guys that are not have fun anymore and they've got to say how do we figure this thing out. "But when the game is rough and tough now we've got to figure out what do we do," the coach lamented. He said he's had to go through that every year. But now every team has something to lose. Throughout the year all the other teams have been playing on house-money. Meaning they go into every game with everything to gain and nothing to lose.

He said every team has issues by this time of the year they are dealing with. If isn't one thing it's another. "I tell you this, I don't think anybody is feeling sorry for us," Calipari said.
    Comments 12 Comments
      catmanjack -
      Somewhere along the season Cal sucked the fun out of this team!
      Not sure they will get it back!
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      Somewhere along the season Cal sucked the fun out of this team!
      Not sure they will get it back!
      This. I really think Cal took their moxy and mojo this time, don't know if they'll get it back or not. I hope so.

I'm not sure it isn't his plan either, to follow this season long cycle bc it's not unfamiliar, but I think he went a little too far with this team and it threw them.
      Padukacat -
      He manufactures this roller coaster ride to create a high point at the right time and I'd say his tourney record speaks for itself. He never really talks about it but I think he does indeed do that. You can lose kids and teams this young, I don't think he has yet, but maybe.
      Philly Cat -
      Time for some dodgeball...
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      This. I really think Cal took their moxy and mojo this time, don't know if they'll get it back or not. I hope so.

I'm not sure it isn't his plan either, to follow this season long cycle bc it's not unfamiliar, but I think he went a little too far with this team and it threw them.
      Oh no. Looks like I need to give up on this team.

Folks are already talking about them in the past tense.

Waiting for "Fire Cal, Hire Crean" threads.

Fun times.
      dan_bgblue -
      I hope the game tomorrow is fun enough to keep me from tuning into the baseball game at 3:00 pm
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post

Oh no. Looks like I need to give up on this team.

Folks are already talking about them in the past tense.

Waiting for "Fire Cal, Hire Crean" threads.

Fun times.
      Did that strawman put up a good fight?

Ad hominem. The logical fallacy that keeps on giving.
      blueboss -
      Winning is fun... I'd implore them to have fun too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Krank -
      Did that strawman put up a good fight?

Ad hominem. The logical fallacy that keeps on giving.
      You take me too seriously.

As is your privilege.
      GhettoBird -

I agree completely. I think this has been his plan all along, with positive side effect of getting Bam into the lottery. I believe he thought he could just "reboot" and go back to the way things were and peak in March, instead of January. However, injuries and illness, and I believe the kids rebelling a little have slowed the reboot process. No are we going to get back? The million dollar question.
      Darrell KSR -
      I think they had fun today .
      kingcat -
      Bigger than that, Cal seemed to have fun. I want to see that emotional involvement. Cal needed this win as bad as the team did I think

I believe when he called on Monk offensively to once again be the first option, it worked just like he hoped. And with a more involved Bam on the boards than earlier in the season. As well as a very good floor game added to the Monk arsenal

The two best coaching jobs of the year have been Bama and this game.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post