Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Toughness, heart talking points for Briscoe after Kansas loss

By LARRY VAUGHT

Even Kentucky coach John Calipari thought the atmosphere in Rupp Arena was "great" Saturday night, something the UK coach doesn't say often.

"This is what this place is. And when we go on the road, it's the same kind of atmosphere. Every road game is like a war. And that's the other thing that's tough for these kids, you got to come every game. And then when you do come, you got to finish for 40 minutes, because the other team's not going away. You got to finish it out," Calipari said after his team's 79-73 loss to Kansas.

"You get a team down 12, 13, 14, you better get it to 20. And then you better go into half and say the first five minutes we're going to win this game. We're not there yet. We get it to 12, 13, and the next time I look around it's four. Then I look up we're down four. What the heck just happened?

"

Maybe sophomore Isaiah Briscoe knows. He had 12 points, eight rebounds and six assists -- along with three turnovers -- against Kansas.

"You can't teach toughness. You can't coach heart. That is something you are born with," Briscoe said. "I thought we lacked toughness. That is something I have to talk about with the team. I don't have an answer right now. Like I said, you just can't teach toughness."

Senior guard Dominique Hawkins thought Kansas matched the toughness that UK started the game with.

"We could have probably played a ltitle tougher and got more rebounds. I know a couple rebounds definitely killed us at the end," Hawkins said.

Kansas coach Bill Self didn't talk about toughness. But he was thrilled to come into Rupp Arena for the second time -- the first was 2005 -- and win.

"I told our team this prepping for the game: ‘this is an important game but it’s not as important as our game on Wednesday, it’s not as important as our game last Tuesday.’ But it’s kind of like when you go to an AAU tournament. It’s kind of like the showcase game. There’s a showcase game and you win or lose, it’s no big deal. It doesn’t affect the bracket,'" Self said.

"That’s kind of what I thought about this game. Of course I know it means a lot to the fans of both schools, and certainly there’s a lot of tradition on the line."
    Comments 8 Comments
      kingcat -
      Bill Self and his team shone brightly under the lights we thought were for us. Kudos to him and his team.
      We can only hope to attain that level off play.

Shine it, polish it, stare at it all we want...it still stinks.
      catmanjack -
      Every loss stinks!
      suncat05 -
      This Kentucky team is probably not going to make it past the 2nd weekend in March. They have no "killer" in them, their basketball IQ is not very high, they don't play consistent defense, and I think Coach Calipari doesn't know exactly how to get through to them, when he's not busy berating Derek Willis for everything he does.
      This is a good, but not great Kentucky team. Better than average, but not a championship team.
      catmanjack -
      This team has things to work on but will be ready for the last 6.
      Hard to write them off this soon but it sure seems the boat is emptying pretty fast and sad to be honest.
      Dokker -
      Toughness and heart.... agree that we played soft, but still---

the fact is we had a 12 point lead, and were on the brink of crushing their spirit when we missed several point blank layups and numerous FTs to let them back in it.
      catmanjack -
      ^ The same thing happened against UCLA up 9 and started missing shots and had a few turnovers.
      This team is pretty good still learning how to close and be consistent.
      suncat05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      This team has things to work on but will be ready for the last 6.
      Hard to write them off this soon but it sure seems the boat is emptying pretty fast and sad to be honest.
      This Kentucky team will get bounced from the NCAAT in the 2nd weekend. We'll just have to agree that we disagree about how good this team really is. Do they have the potential to make it to April? Sure they do. But they won't.
      BigBluePappy -
      Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
      This Kentucky team will get bounced from the NCAAT in the 2nd weekend. We'll just have to agree that we disagree about how good this team really is. Do they have the potential to make it to April? Sure they do. But they won't.
      I would be in the boat of do they have the potential to make it to April? Absolutely. Will they? We will have to wait and see.
      I am still in the boat, never going to leave if I didn't when Eddie Sutton dang near run us aground and BCG was out doing doughnuts in the water. I'll just ride this out and enjoy it for what it is this year; I hope to be very happy when it is all over.

• KSR Twitter Feed