Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• UK football offense: Same approach as the championship-winning basketball team?

By: ASHLEY SCOBY

What I’ve learned the most about UK fans is that to get their attention, USE BASKETBALL. If a story has anything to do with the dribble-drive offense or the 2012 national championship team, Kentucky fans won’t hesitate to read.

But if the story is about football? Well, there might be some hesitation there.

If I told you that the 2012 Kentucky football offense was not so different in its approach from the 2012 national championship basketball team, I hope you wouldn’t think I’m crazy. Because that’s exactly what I’m saying.

As a disclaimer to those already shaking their heads and frowning at their computer screens, I absolutely do not mean that UK football has an offense that could win a BCS championship. But that also doesn’t mean that this offense can’t put up some good numbers this year and excite a fanbase that has struggled with football optimism this season.

Let’s start with the quarterback: Anybody who doubted Joker Phillips’ decision to make Max Smith the starting quarterback is seeing the light by now. According to the Twitter feed of Cats Illustrated’s Ben Jones, Smith is tied for third nationally in passing touchdowns (6), fourth in completions (65), eighth in total yardage (634) and 17th in completion percentage (73%). Not bad for a true sophomore who didn’t have a solid starting job until a few weeks ago.

Then there are the receivers that Smith has been working so well with. Against Louisville, Smith threw a pass to 11 different guys and against Kent State, it was 10. The receiving corps at UK has been subject of a lot of criticism in the past few years since Keenan Burton, Stevie Johnson, Jacob Tamme and company all graduated. Watching the wideouts consistently drop balls was one of the most frustrating things about recent UK offenses. “Butterfingers” was the term I heard most often from the Commonwealth Stadium crowd, and a lot of the time, it was deserved criticism.

This year, however, the change has been drastic. The quarterback and receivers look more in-sync than they have in a while, and there have been some beautiful balls thrown and caught this season. The talent these receivers have at running after the catch has also been somewhat of a strength so far – the pass that was thrown to Demarcus Sweat this weekend was a short one, but the speedy, young receiver took it 56 yards to the house.

What does all this have to do with the championship basketball team UK had last year?

Unselfishness: spreading the ball around to as many guys as possible to create points. No whining, no fuss about individual numbers. Just team play and positive results.

The Cats won a championship in basketball last year because they put their own selfish desires to the side in favor of a diversified offense where everyone was involved. From watching the first two football games, it looks like the football Cats are trying to use the same approach. Maybe a championship isn’t in sight for Kentucky football, and that’s fine. But they will use an unselfish, exciting approach offensively to improve their chances in SEC competition, not to mention getting fans in the seats at Commonwealth.

Some will say that UK has yet to compete against a strong, SEC-level team this season, and it certainly remains to be seen how these guys will react against teams like Florida or South Carolina. But this offense is fun to watch, to put it simply. And with practice, more reps and an even more improved relationship between Smith and his receivers (not to mention the running backs that have been catching passes), this offense can only become more exciting to watch.
    Comments 8 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      I will be very interested to see if the offense continues as it has.

Was listening to WJOX radio this afternoon in Birmingham, and the host was grading SEC quarterbacks on the season thus far. Had a few A's.

One of them was Maxwell Smith.

Thought that was pretty strong.
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Very good theories Ashley. Now if football Cats could just play defense like Davis & Company did, UK could contend in the SEC!
      jazyd -
      Ashley, you write good stories, in this one it is more like a fairy tale. Do you really think Cals team is built on dink and dink offense with no defense? Cals winning formula is one that destroys the other team on defense and puts the fear of God into them while on offense. Our basketball program is run by a genius, our football team is run by a Joker.
      There is a huge difference, one is feared, the other everyone wants to play to move up in the standings. One wins NC's in front of 75,000, the other can't beat a coachless football team in front of 20,000. One packs the house in every arena they travel to, the other can't pack his own house.
      Cal approaches his team by letting his coaches coach and teach, Joker and Minter don't.
      Cal is organized to the T, Joker isn't close.
      Cal is unpredictable in what he will do on offense, Joker is totally predictable and opposing players will tell you that and have.

The only similiarities between the two programs is they both wear blue and white
      Jimcats -
      Jazy, if we have a Joker, the whole SEC must be his Batman. But I'll watch this season play out and hope for the best while I set my expectations low. While I don't expect a lot, nothing would make me happier than to see the staff and the players rise up enough to compete seriously in that string of super tough SEC games.
      TonyRay -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Ashley, you write good stories, in this one it is more like a fairy tale. Do you really think Cals team is built on dink and dink offense with no defense? Cals winning formula is one that destroys the other team on defense and puts the fear of God into them while on offense. Our basketball program is run by a genius, our football team is run by a Joker.
      There is a huge difference, one is feared, the other everyone wants to play to move up in the standings. One wins NC's in front of 75,000, the other can't beat a coachless football team in front of 20,000. One packs the house in every arena they travel to, the other can't pack his own house.
      Cal approaches his team by letting his coaches coach and teach, Joker and Minter don't.
      Cal is unpredictable in what he will do on offense, Joker is totally predictable and opposing players will tell you that and have.

The only similiarities between the two programs is they both wear blue and white
      Why is the offense dink and dunk? We threw the ball all over the field. Jazy, I know you are not a fan of Joker, no problem but the offense I saw Saturday night was not dink and dunk. We threw the ball downfield and all over the field to a variety of receivers. In the ul game not as much but Smith took what was available and was able to move the ball. The missed fg along with two fumbles killed our chances of putting more points up.
      This story is not comparing the coaches but more comparing the offensive philosophy of spreading the ball around for scoring. We all know there are the two aren't close in the success they have achieved. Also, she didn't mention defense. To be fair Joker has has some very good offenses while here when he has had the right QB leading the offense. Both Woodson and Hartline put up huge numbers. Had a boss tell me yesterday what a fun game Saturday's was to watch and after last year's offensive struggles it certainly was.
      Now the defense is an altogether different story and any comparison there would quickly needed to be shot down.
      TonyRay -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post

After watching Morgan last year did we really have a chance? Hartline screwed up, otherwise no doubt in my mind we win that one with him in the lineup.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimcats View Post
      Jazy, if we have a Joker, the whole SEC must be his Batman. But I'll watch this season play out and hope for the best while I set my expectations low. While I don't expect a lot, nothing would make me happier than to see the staff and the players rise up enough to compete seriously in that string of super tough SEC games.
      Wise, wise approach.
      jazyd -
      tony, Newton wasn't the reason we lost, the defense was terrible as was the whole offense and Joker

Asd far as the dunk and dink, didn't see the game but I have watched Jokers offense for years and he is of the short dink pass, rarely throws it down field, except under Woodson who could actually do it. Hartline didn't have the arm, Newton had no idea where it was going and I don't think Smith really has a great arm from what I have seen so far. Don't get me wrong, I like Smith and as I said in another thread I was one of the first along with Citizen to openly compliment him the first time I saw because he at least looked like a qb. I still think he is in the lower half of the league as far as qb's go, AU has the worst by far.
      Watch out for the Ole Miss qb, juco transfer and is a soph, throws a pretty ball and a good deep accurate ball.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRay View Post
      After watching Morgan last year did we really have a chance? Hartline screwed up, otherwise no doubt in my mind we win that one with him in the lineup.
  • KSR Twitter Feed