Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Fox: UK chemistry, athleticism and ability to run key to UK's offense

By LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky has opened Southeastern Conference play by scoring 199 points in two wins, its highest total since 1975.

Freshman point guard De'Aaron Fox did his part in Tuesday's 100-58 win over Texas A&M. He had 15 points, six assists, five rebounds and two steals in 28 minutes.

“It’s a lot of chemistry, our athleticism and our ability to run and get out," Fox said about UK's offense. "If you miss, and don’t get that rebound, it is more likely to turn into a lay-up. You just need an emphasis on running, getting out and transitioning so that’s what we have been doing.”

Kentucky fell behind 3-0 and then ripped off 15 straight points. The eventual 28-5 run opened a 28-8 lead that put the game away.

"It was extremely fun. We came out and talked about pressuring the ball so that is what we did. They turned the ball over 25 times and I think that’s a season high this year. It’s just something that we have been putting an emphasis on," Fox said.

"We came out, pressured the ball and did what we were supposed to do. We got steals, got dunks and layups. Its always fun, especially against a team like that.”

Kentucky coach John Calipari has preached for the Cats to be more disciplined on defense.

“Just no bad fouls like one of the fouls I picked up last game. No touch fouls or fouls we shouldn’t have. Not too much gambling, even though they turned the ball over and we got a lot of steals. That wasn’t from gambling; it was just from good defense," Fox said."That’s what he’s talking about when he is talking about being disciplined on defense.”

Kentucky had not played in Rupp Arena since losing to UCLA in early December. It had not played any games after losing at Louisville before beating Ole Miss and Texas A&M.

“We are just building momentum. Every game right now matters; it’s league play so we are just coming out. We have been confident in ourselves and have been making shots," Fox said.

"We have been doing well defensively these past two games. And we are putting the ball in the basket, so it’s nothing but just building confidence for March.”
    Comments 6 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      This is my only concern about this team. What happens when (if) we can't run and get out? NCAA tourny games are notoriously slower paced games. We need work on our offensive sets.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      This is my only concern about this team. What happens when (if) we can't run and get out? NCAA tourny games are notoriously slower paced games? We need work on our offensive sets.
      That's always been UK's issue during the Cal era. I did see some sets being run last night. The one to Willis for the dunk was beautiful. When they ran it a second time A&M had to foul to stop it.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
      That's always been UK's issue during the Cal era. I did see some sets being run last night. The one to Willis for the dunk was beautiful. When they ran it a second time A&M had to foul to stop it.
      Well, that's one. I can stop worrying I guess.
      badrose -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Well, that's one. I can stop worrying I guess.
      We've been conditioned to be that way.
      DanISSELisdaman -
      I thought they looked pretty good in the half court last night. Definitely the best of the season IMO.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by DanISSELisdaman View Post
      I thought they looked pretty good in the half court last night. Definitely the best of the season IMO.
      Willis is definitely not comfortable in the half court offense. The speed of his teammates seems to overwhelm him. He seems to be a half step off from where he needs to be on the court for his shot to fall. We are going to need his shot in one of these big games.
  • KSR Twitter Feed