Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Taxslayer Bowl a strong possibility for Kentucky

By LARRY VAUGHT

Just making a bowl game seemed an unrealistic goal to most -- well, maybe not coach Mark Stoops -- after Kentucky opened the season 0-2.

Even when the Cats got to 6-5 going into the regular-season ending game at Louisville, anything but a lower tier bowl seemed unlikely.

But a 41-38 win over Louisville certainly has changed a lot. I thought UK might get a spot in the Music City Bowl, but a source tells me now that barring any last-minute changes -- and that's always possible -- that UK will play in the TaxSlayer Bowl in Jacksonville, Fla., Dec. 31.

That's a huge step up for Kentucky. The payout is not different from the Music City Bowl and I doubt that Jacksonville can host a better game than Nashville. However, playing in a Florida bowl game just resonates a little different. It sounds better. Recruits like it. Kentucky gets exposure in a state where football is king.

Sure, some fans that could go to Nashville might not be able to make Jacksonville. But Stoops and his players deserve a trip like this after what they have done this year.

The TaxSlayer Bowl was once known as the Gator Bowl. It's not a BCS bowl but it's well above an average bowl and that's what UK athletics director Mitch Barnhart wanted for this team.

Kentucky is really a good story, too. Starting quarterback goes down with an injury and little-known junior college transfer quarterback steps in to lead team to bowl game. Kentucky goes from a pass-first team to a run-first team. Fans go from calling for Stoops to being gone to overflowing the Stoops bandwagon.

It's been a fun ride and if my source is right, bringing in the new year in Florida is going to be a lot more fun for UK players, fans and coaches.
    Comments 21 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      snoopcat -
      I am one of those fans that can't make Jacksonville. I was all set for Nashville or Memphis
      Catfan73 -
      Larry is right, the team has earned this!
      Hoss -
      GOOD FOR THEM!!!
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by snoopcat View Post
      I am one of those fans that can't make Jacksonville. I was all set for Nashville or Memphis
      Reasonable possibility that will be the same for me. I was set for Nashville, Memphis, Birmingham or Shreveport. But I'm all for whatever is in the program's best interest, and Jacksonville would be better than any of those. I'll try to make it anyway.
      dtalbersjr -
      Jacksonville's a lot harder for me too. Not sure if it will be possible, but I'm 100% in favor even if it means I can't make it.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      I was in to Nashville. Won't make Jacksonville. Don't agree with this call. 40K fans to Nashville vs 15K to Jacksonville would seem to mean more.
      MickintheHam -
      I am ecstatic about the possibility of the Gator Bowl. We'll have a family vacation to celebrate moving up in class. A win against an accomplished Big Ten or ACC opponent will only help create some respect heading into next season.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      I am ecstatic about the possibility of the Gator Bowl. We'll have a family vacation to celebrate moving up in class. A win against an accomplished Big Ten or ACC opponent will only help create some respect heading into next season.
      There we go, Mitch is catering to the big money boosters again!
      catmanjack -
      This year was huge but next year will be pivotal in many areas.
      truecatsfan -
      Already made plans for Florida. Go cats.
      Darrell KSR -
      The one thing I don't like about the Taxslayer Bowl is that it kicks off at the exact time the Citrus Bowl kicks off. I hate that competition with another SEC bowl game.
      Terry Blue -
      Read Ga Tech insulted they may have to play UK
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
      There we go, Mitch is catering to the big money boosters again!
      He and I are buddies.
      snoopcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Read Ga Tech insulted they may have to play UK
      A triple option team would not be the best match up for UK in my opinion.

I am insulted we have to play them
      CitizenBBN -
      Well it's not as nifty as the Poulan Weedwhacker Bowl, but anything that portends to slay taxes has to be good.
      Ramsey Rocket -
      If Clemson wins the ACC Championship we will play Georgia Tech. If Virginia Tech upsets Clemson, we will play Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ramsey Rocket View Post
      If Clemson wins the ACC Championship we will play Georgia Tech. If Virginia Tech upsets Clemson, we will play Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Go Va Tech! Knocks U of L down a notch in the bowls and we don't have to play those cut blockers from Ga Tech either.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
      Go Va Tech! Knocks U of L down a notch in the bowls and we don't have to play those cut blockers from Ga Tech either.
      Yup. Twofer.
      Catfan73 -
      Ugh. Would much rather play Miami. Against Ga. Tech WE would be the 'sexy' team lol.

You guys know VPI doesn't have a chance against Clemson don't you? Do you really think the ACC is going to knock one of their own out of the playoffs? They've been getting away with dirty play all year.
  • KSR Twitter Feed