Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Cats plan to run ball, keep away from Lamar Jackson

By LARRY VAUGHT

Louisville has the nation's sixth best rushing defense during November as the Cardinals are allowing just 67.4 yards per game. Yet coach Bobby Petrino knows Louisville's run defense will be tested Saturday by Kentucky.

The Wildcats have two 1,000-yard rushers -- Boom Williams and Benny Snell -- and are averaging 303 yards per game rushing this month.

Kentucky coach Mark Stoops knows his team needs to run the ball and keep it away from Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson.

“I definitely think that’s a big piece of it. That’s been our best recipe. We’ve had some sustained drives. But against quality teams you have to be able to find some big plays as well. You have to be able to get it in the end zone. There will be a balance there," Stoops said.

"It’s always a team effort. You know we have to play good in all areas. And I think that was part of it last year. It’s always part of it in games. When one side or the other is having issues, the other side has to pick it up. When you go bad in two phases or three phases big shifts are going to happen, and that you have to try to offset.”

Still, Petrino knows that running the ball is what the UK offense has done best.

"They’ve made a commitment to running the football . . . They now have a quarterback (Stephen Johnson) who can also run the ball and throw the ball deep. And they’re running a lot of the Wildcat came," Petrino said Monday. "They switch it up. The installation of the quarterback has really helped because he has a strong arm and he can throw the deep ball.

"Once you loosen people up you can throw the ball better. But they also throw the ball a lot out of the Wildcat. More than anybody we’ve played, they’ve made that commitment to that formation."
    Comments 15 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      . . . They now have a quarterback (Stephen Johnson) who can also run the ball and throw the ball deep. And they’re running a lot of the Wildcat game," Petrino said Monday. "They switch it up. The installation of the quarterback has really helped because he has a strong arm and he can throw the deep ball."
      Petrino will have Louisville well-prepared for both the run game and Johnson. I wish Johnson was a little better runner than he was; could really come in handy in this game. I don't think he is elusive enough to make a difference against Louisville in that area. We'll see.
      Catfan73 -
      As with everything else, Louisville's rushing defense numbers are skewed by their schedule. Only 4 of the 14 teams in the ACC rush for more than 200 yards per game. UL has played one of them, FSU, who now averages 203 rushing yards per game. The rest of their schedule is headed up by Clemson with 165 per game. In contrast, 8 of the SEC's 14 teams rush for at least 200 yards per game, some of them way over 200 per game, including Kentucky at 242. UK has played four such teams in Alabama, Miss. State, Missouri, and Tennessee.

The ACC isn't a rushing league and UL hasn't faced a rushing offense like UK's, which is averaging 5.5 yards per carry. That's good for 4th in the SEC. And it's 275 yards per game over the last 9 games.
      Terry Blue -
      Remember we ran the ball for over 400 yards against Tenn. Is UL,s defense better than Tenn,s
      CitizenBBN -
      It's a simple and obvious strategy, and also our only hope. Run the ball, get some points, keep UL off the field so we have a chance in a low scoring affair.
      dtalbersjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Remember we ran the ball for over 400 yards against Tenn. Is UL,s defense better than Tenn,s

Yes, their defense is significantly better than UT's, but I still expect to be able to run effectively. Just don't think it will matter. We have no answer for their offense.
      dan_bgblue -
      We had no answer last Friday night. It is my fervent hope that a plan has been put in place that will be enough of an answer to bring home a win. I have to watch the game and I will not go into it without hope.
      blueboss -
      We could gash UL by 400 yards the problem is going to be can our defense hold UL to under 400 yards.

We can't trade field goals for TD's again either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      catmanjack -
      And was blown out!
      Only power 5 to rush for 400 yards and lose this year!
      Terry Blue -
      We weren,t blown out. UL was blown out by Houston. The subject of the post was being able to run the ball, having two 1000 yard rushers have proven we can do that and against SEC competition at that
      Darrell KSR -
      I think we will run on Louisville, and we will really run on Louisville if our pitch and catch game is doing anything.
      Padukacat -
      I don't think it will matter how much we run, I expect to get blitzed by an angry opponent who got a reality check last week and is playing for pride at home. Keep it close and I'll be surprisingly impressed.
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      UT's defense gave up 420 yards rushing to Mizzou last week and 740 yards overall. Their D is horrible.
      truecatsfan -
      We will have to have some success throwing the ball, look for them to stack the box.
      Terry Blue -
      World is round, ha.
      Thedonnie123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      But they also throw the ball a lot out of the Wildcat. More than anybody we’ve played, they’ve made that commitment to that formation."
      What games has he watched? I think we've thrown maybe 3 times out of the wildcat.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  • KSR Twitter Feed