Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Fox expects outside shot to start falling

By LARRY VAUGHT

Freshman point guard De'Aaron Fox has made "great strides" for coach John Calipari even though he's playing faster than he ever has.

"Sometimes decision making – running faster than he’s ever ran in his life, which means his mind is moving fast at times. But there are things that he does that I can’t teach. He’s special. He is. How he plays on the ball, how he plays in pick-and-roll defense, I mean, wow. It’s not like we have taught that a whole lot; he just gets after it. He’s long. A big guard," Calipari said Tuesday before UK practiced for today's game with Cleveland State.

What about his propensity for missing outside shots?

"If you remember last year Tyler Ulis was shooting like 22 percent from the 3-point line. He wasn’t making any shots. I don’t worry about guys like him. You have to get in the gym. Part of it is, you got to take game shots. You can’t take tip toe shots. You can’t take casual shots. He’s the least of our worries," Calipari said.

Fox has scored in double figures each game and led UK in assists each game. He says he doesn't pay attention to shooting percentages.

"Get to the free-throw line, shoot as many layups as you can. Just do whatever to help my team," Fox said. "I’m shooting the pull-up more. I’m playing a lot faster than I was just because that’s what Cal’s been preaching to me.”

He says his shot has not been off that much.

"I haven’t really changed much. They’ll start falling eventually," Fox said. "He (Calipari) wants me to shoot more runners in the lane. I don’t really have a reason not to. Sometimes I’m just not thinking about it. Sometimes a pull-up is just the first thing on my mind or get to a layup is the first thing. Not too many people have that in between. It’s just something I have to learn to use more.”

He has been watching the way sophomore teammate Isaiah Briscoe can finish when he gets inside the lane.

“It’s ridiculous the way he can just put English on the ball (at) any angle on the backboard. Kyrie (Irving) is one of the only people – Steph (Curry) has the high layup, but the way Kyrie finishes around the rim through contact, either hand, doesn’t matter if he’s on the right side with left hand, he just puts crazy spin on it and it goes in. I heard Kyrie is Isaiah’s cousin. I didn’t even know that, but I think that’s who he learned it from," Fox said.
    Comments 9 Comments
      dtalbersjr -
      If it does, we go from very difficult to beat to incredibly difficult to beat.
      Harlow -
      Shot looks broke
      kingcat -
      Too much spin
      Padukacat -
      Looks to me like his Body isn't square and he's kicking it too much to the side kind of lebron does. Seems to cause him to shoot across his body and the rotation looks to tell the same. I'm sure he will make the mid range jumper better than now but not sure it will be consistent.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      Looks to me like his Body isn't square and he's kicking it too much to the side kind of lebron does. Seems to cause him to shoot across his body and the rotation looks to tell the same. I'm sure he will make the mid range jumper better than now but not sure it will be consistent.
      Exactly... Or as I exasperatingly WHINE at the TV every time he shoots... "Stop MOVING so much, son... settle down and just shoot!"
      kingcat -
      His shot fires off the rim when the ball contacts it. Lots of in and outs too...too much spin is usually the culprit. It feels good and looks pretty from a shooters perspective however.
      Hoss -
      He's a better shooter than he's shown so far. More than likely, they'll start dropping pretty soon.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
      He's a better shooter than he's shown so far. More than likely, they'll start dropping pretty soon.
      Too many are just off a little bit, like a lot of freshmen he is rushing the shot a bit.
      Hoss -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      Too many are just off a little bit, like a lot of freshmen he is rushing the shot a bit.
      I think so too...
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post