Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Eddie Gran on the Film Watching of the Alabama Game

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Q: Coach what did you see on the Alabama film that you liked?
    A: I thought they competed for sixty minutes. I thought they were in a heavy-weight fight and they fought. The last drive was fifteen plays and they converted on a fourth down.
    Q: What wasn't so positive on the film?
    A: He said they had a chance for huge plays and maybe the alignment wasn't right or the technique was bad. He said that changes everything when you are fighting and scratching for yards. Gran alluded to the first and third drives of the game when points were available.
    Q: What are the things your needs to improve on?
    A: Not turning the ball over and not leaving points on the field. But if we continue to fight like that we're going to be alright.
    Q: What do you do to improve the ball security of Stephen Johnson?
    A: We run through the physicality apparatus everyday and perform ball stripping drills everyday. He knows the deal and I'm not going to beat a dead-horse. You call it to his attention but he's the one that has to do it. We are going to keep on coaching it but he's got to handle the rock.
    Q What about the play of Landon Young?
    A: I grabbed him around the neck the other day and said kid you are doing a helluva job. Gran said he see a tremendous up side in this youngster. He's gotten an opportunity that most freshmen don't get in this league.
    Q: what have you seen in Bunchy Stallings that you like?
    A: He's so athletic and at times we have to tone him down a little bit because he sometimes get a little discombobulated with his footwork. But he been a big plus for us.

Bunchy Stallings

Q: What did the reps at Florida and at Alabama do for you?
    A: They helped me understand what to expect in Southeaster Conference play.
    Q: What about the atmosphere at those places?
    A: It was definitely valuable to me going forward. This was a priceless experience.
    Q: Why have you had the level of success you've had?
    A: You just have to use what you have. If you need to be physical you be physical. If you need to use your speed you use it. Just lay it all on the line.
    Q: Coach Stoops said the last years Vandy game will probably haunt him for the rest of his life. Is there a score to settle on Vandy?
    A: We all know what happened last year. We cannot focus on the score. We just need to go out and play physical and fast and whatever to outcome is we need to just own it. It's all about preparation.
    Q: Do you like it when the team is running the ball?
    A: I know the receivers want the ball to but it gives us a chance to put our physicality on display.

John Schlarman revisited the recruiting trip he and Neal Brown made through the ice and snow to get to the school to recruit Stalling. "Now you see that it was all worth it,"Schlarman express when describing the unexpected inclement Alabama weather in which they had to abandon the vehicle because no cars were able to move on the snowy road. Several cars had to abandoned on the road that day and worse the coaches weren't dressed for the occasion. They slept on that raining table that night. Schlarman said - "They took us back to our car the next day in a golf cart. I never been that cold in my life."

Darin Hinshaw as well as Schlarman talked about the depth in the offensive line and how valuable it was late in the game because of being able to use fresh body's. He said that last drive resulting in three points was fifteen plays in which they were handling Bama's defensive line.
    Comments 2 Comments
      jazyd -
      We did not score a TD, I saw nothing to like. We still do not have SEC offensive tackles and yes I have seen freshmen OT's start and do well in this league When Ala wasn't going around our tackles they hitting them so hard they knocked them not on their butts but on their backs. We still do not have an SEC QB, four years in and no tackles and no QB.
      Why would any top QB want to play behind our OL?

Thank goodness Ala QB missed several wide open receivers or the score would have been much worse.

After 4 years I don't want to hear about injuries or bad characters...who recruited them...we should by now have depth.

I look at what other coaches in the SEC have done in the same period, many came into a losing program also and then I look at our results. Hoping and praying for 6 wins to get the the BHam bowl. And we are pinning those hopes on the fact that USC and Mizzou have new coaches and we have Vandy in our division

We didn't score a TD against Bama, OLe Miss had over 40 points, WKU scored TD's against Bama. Ark will score against them as will LSU and TAM and probably MSU and maybe AU.

And Gran feels good and I am supposed to feel good because he does and they tried? Hell everyone tries, so I guess Stoops should get another extension because after 4 years his recruits try hard.
      dan_bgblue -
      Like I posted right after the game ended, there are no moral victories for me, but one positive take away I had was that the Cats held Bama to their lowest points scored game so far this year.
  • KSR Twitter Feed