Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Eliot has answer to defensive woes

By LARRY VAUGHT

Want to know what is wrong with the Kentucky defense?

Well, defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot has the answer -- but I am not sure UK fans will like it.

“The biggest issue that we’ve had is we haven’t been able to execute what we call. We haven’t been able to execute and run the defense effectively and make the right checks, make the right adjustments, get in the right spots. That’s been one of our problems, I think more than we anticipated," Eliot said Wednesday.

Not get in the right spots? Not make the right checks?

Those are problems. But do you blame players or coaches for that? Or both?

"We lost our core of our linebackers and our defensive line last year, so they could handle a lot. Those guys last year could handle a lot of calls, they could adjust, they could get lined up, they could communicate, they could be in the right spots," Eliot said.

Didn't UK finish 5-7 last year and blow a 21-point lead to Louisville in the final game? How many players did UK lose that went to the NFL?

So forgive me for not quite buying what Eliot is saying.

"What we’re finding with this group is they can’t (adjust), so we’re trying to limit some of those communications, some of those checks, maybe some of those calls to get these guys where they can line up and play fast," Eliot said.

Head coach Mark Stoops emphasized again Wednesday on the SEC coaches teleconference that he was taking a "more active role" with the defense this week after UK gave up 44 points to Southern Mississippi and 45 to Florida.

"As far as the structure of our staff, that has not changed. Coach Eliot is the defensive coordinator. I’m assisting him but I’m much more involved this week and I will be until we get things turned," Stoops said.

Eliot said Stoops has "always been involved in the defense" and it certainly has appeared that way since his arrival at Kentucky.

"Now we’re together on a lot of things. He’s helping us and he’s doing everything he can as another coach on the defensive staff, which is really good," Eliot said.
    Comments 31 Comments
      KSRBEvans -
      First, thanks for the article, Larry.

Now--it's freaking Year freaking 4 of allegedly great recruiting. And these great recruits still can't get lined up right? Bloody hell.

Somebody please tell me what year the "we're young" or "we're not deep" excuse doesn't apply anymore. Because I guess we have to wait until then to expect a defense that can manage a rank above 120.

Or maybe in the midst of all these player changes the blame should go on the one constant (the coaching staff). Crazy thought, I know.

So, yeah, the fans don't like the answer--at least this fan.
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      I have the best answer for our defensive woes. It goes something like this......STOP SOMEBODY!
      KSRBEvans -
      BTW, what kind of word salad is this?

"As far as the structure of our staff, that has not changed. Coach Eliot is the defensive coordinator. I’m assisting him but I’m much more involved this week and I will be until we get things turned," Stoops said.

Eliot said Stoops has "always been involved in the defense" and it certainly has appeared that way since his arrival at Kentucky.

"Now we’re together on a lot of things. He’s helping us and he’s doing everything he can as another coach on the defensive staff, which is really good," Eliot said.
      So he's helping more and "now we're together," but he's always been involved in the defense since his arrival?
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Larry is obviously not a "true fan" either lol.

This is a train wreck and the coaches excuses don't hold water.

Appreciate the article Larry. I feel your frustration. I have lost all hope with this staff.

Man this just pisses me off more.
      MTcatfan -
      Then if the players are still having execution problems in year freaking FOUR, then something is wrong with your @#$@$!#!%$@%$ defense!!!!!!!

The whole point on defense is to get your players so that all they do is REACT to the offense and they DO NOT THINK on the field. Players that have to think on the field are slower than they need to be. So if our players are having to think on the field then we don't have a chance. This is beyond ridiculous, as a coach you have to recognize your schemes are NOT working in the games, so you have to adjust instead of putting on the players for their failure to execute. It is your damn job as a coach is to put your players in a position to SUCCEED and after four freaking seasons if your players are still not succeeding it is YOUR damn problem and NOT the players problem. Change your schemes and do your job Mr. Defensive Coordinator!!!
      dan_bgblue -
      The whole point on defense is to get your players so that all they do is REACT to the offense and they DO NOT THINK on the field. Players that have to think on the field are slower than they need to be. So if our players are having to think on the field then we don't have a chance.
      This

They have to think about where they line up for each defensive call, they have to think about their responsibility in that defensive alignment, but that should take less than 2 seconds and it all should occur before the ball is snapped then football instincts and talent take over to play the play.
      dtalbersjr -
      “The biggest issue that we’ve had is we haven’t been able to execute what we call. "

Wow. You often see people talk about coaches "throwing the players under the bus", and I usually think it's overblown. But that's exactly what this is. He's saying the players aren't doing what he's telling them to do. No "and that's on me" or "I need to do a better job communicating what I want". He's saying it's their fault.
      Darrell KSR -
      If I were a DC, I'd call the "stop the offense for a loss" play every down. That way I could always say that the defense wasn't executing what I called.
      Padukacat -
      It's always good to follow the pulse of the media toward our coaches because they are friendly and hopeful but know more than we do. Larry tells it nicely here. Jones and his crew have thrown in the towel too any it's getting ugly. I think we're past the point of a future w this staff.
      suncat05 -
      Well, this shouldn't make any Kentucky football fans feel all warm & fuzzy. And I think this is just going to get a lot worse before it gets resolved. And it's not anywhere close to being resolved at this point.
      What a steaming, heaping pile of bovine excrement this entire situation is. Geez!
      kingcat -
      We still have those shiny helmets. That's something.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      I like the matte ones, too. We can wear those to the Directors Cup celebration!
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
      Larry is obviously not a "true fan" either lol.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      I prefer the ones UK wore the last time we were good

uk-4-the-win -
      calling your players stupid is a great way to get them to give up or transfer... Good job coaching staff! Way to go
      catmanjack -
      The helmets is all we will remember when Stoops is gone!
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      I like the matte ones, too. We can wear those to the Directors Cup celebration!
      KeithKSR -
      The major problem with the defense is coaching, IMO.
      BigBluePappy -
      Attachment 5750
      It is inconceivable that D J Eliot is the DC at the University of Kentucky, many thanks to MR. V.,
      Catfan73 -
      I saw the same thing the past two games that I've been seeing since Coaches Stoops and Eliot got here. The players DON'T TRUST THE COACHES. They try to do too much, abandon assignments and free lance because they're competitors and don't want to lose.
      dan_bgblue -
      Catfan73, even though the players may not trust the game plan, freelancing only makes it worse as you well know. The coaches have to figure out a scheme that the players can support.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post