Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Eliot has answer to defensive woes

By LARRY VAUGHT

Want to know what is wrong with the Kentucky defense?

Well, defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot has the answer -- but I am not sure UK fans will like it.

“The biggest issue that we’ve had is we haven’t been able to execute what we call. We haven’t been able to execute and run the defense effectively and make the right checks, make the right adjustments, get in the right spots. That’s been one of our problems, I think more than we anticipated," Eliot said Wednesday.

Not get in the right spots? Not make the right checks?

Those are problems. But do you blame players or coaches for that? Or both?

"We lost our core of our linebackers and our defensive line last year, so they could handle a lot. Those guys last year could handle a lot of calls, they could adjust, they could get lined up, they could communicate, they could be in the right spots," Eliot said.

Didn't UK finish 5-7 last year and blow a 21-point lead to Louisville in the final game? How many players did UK lose that went to the NFL?

So forgive me for not quite buying what Eliot is saying.

"What we’re finding with this group is they can’t (adjust), so we’re trying to limit some of those communications, some of those checks, maybe some of those calls to get these guys where they can line up and play fast," Eliot said.

Head coach Mark Stoops emphasized again Wednesday on the SEC coaches teleconference that he was taking a "more active role" with the defense this week after UK gave up 44 points to Southern Mississippi and 45 to Florida.

"As far as the structure of our staff, that has not changed. Coach Eliot is the defensive coordinator. I’m assisting him but I’m much more involved this week and I will be until we get things turned," Stoops said.

Eliot said Stoops has "always been involved in the defense" and it certainly has appeared that way since his arrival at Kentucky.

"Now we’re together on a lot of things. He’s helping us and he’s doing everything he can as another coach on the defensive staff, which is really good," Eliot said.
    Comments 31 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      I find the comments mind numbing.
      kingcat -
      So...we're a pretty good team on paper before each game? Don't know 'bout you, but I'm pretty psyched then!

Field the kick, vroom! Run it back pow! TD!! Swoosh in and intercept the pass..bang! TD....go for two? NP, eight more points! Onside kick?..yes siree. Once more..kerplunk,in like flint! Why not...oomph, two more!!

Simple. You guys got it?

Sadly, it works about that easy for our opposition, and it's not as silly sounding is it?

Maybe it's the coaching.
      jazyd -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      I find the comments mind numbing.
      After what I watched last year on TV and in person and then what I read from our players after the UL game, this doesn't surprise me at all. I have said for a long time our main problem has been defense and not offense. This is all on Stoops, for meddling with the offense and screwing up the defense

I hope for Stoops family sake, they are saving a lot of his millions because of he won't ever make this much again
      Jeeepcat -
      Ever feel like the kids are smarter than the coaches...
      catmanjack -
      UK/Mitch have allowed Stoops to retire nicely when he gets fire in I hope 10 games.
      All assistants should use the stoops model to retirement! Suck as a coach but work for an AD dumb enough to give him millions.
      catmanjack -
      If I was UK I would file a law suit against Stoops for fraud and breach of control saying he knows how to coach.
      uklandrn -
      The fact that Eliot is saying he now has an answer to defensive problems is a joke in my opinion. What the hell has he been doing the past 3 years? This entire coaching staff is a farce. First Stoops says he is going to take a bigger part in the offense. Now this Eliot nonsense. If it weren't so sad it would be comical.
      suncat05 -
      I have come to the conclusion that these coaches are not very good. I have come to the conclusion that these coaches are incompetent. I have come to the conclusion that these coaches are good recuiters, and that's it. I have come to the conclusion that our players may be good, but don't know how to finish an opponent off when they have said opponent on the ropes. I have come to the conclusion that Mitch Barnhart is a marginal AD, and that he definitely hates the fanbases of football & basketball.
      I have come to the conclusion that BOTH this current coaching staff AND Mitch Barnhart need to have their employments terminated as soon as possible.
      I have come to the conclusion that I just am not going to torture myself and get upset about Kentucky football any more. Why should I support an inferior product that gives me no joy and no satisfaction? Especially when I have supported it over these many years and continued to watch failure after failure after failure?
      Kentucky football is the whipping boy and laughingstock of the SEC. And the laughingstock of the entire NCAA. What a joke!
      Catfan73 -
      The next coach we hire, I'll be paying attention to the fan comments from the program they're leaving. FSU fans said the book on Stoops and Eliot was good recruiter, not so good coach. I hoped at the time it was sour grapes.
      dan_bgblue -
      FSU fans know football
      wes011 -
      I thought you were going to say he has been working with Eddie Gran to sustain long offensive drives.
  • KSR Twitter Feed