Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky will show Gator fans they're not the "same old Kentucky" Saturday

By LARRY VAUGHT

Florida coach Jim McElwain noted Monday that Saturday's game at Florida will show Gator fans that this is "not the same old Kentucky" that Florida has beat 29 straight times -- the nation's longest win streak. On top of that, the Cats are coming off a 44-35 loss to Southern Miss where they blew a 35-10 lead.

"We’re really looking forward to this week as we move forward to a 3:30 game, national television (CBS) against a team that is hurting little bit. Obviously, they had a 25-point lead, only had the ball 15 (plays) in the second half," the Florida coach said Monday.

"Kentucky was going up and down the field and stopped themselves a couple times. They're going to come in here obviously with that mentality where the last time they played in this stadium probably felt they could have won the ballgame.

"You know, a lot of things that go into that, but more importantly for us, opening of SEC play. Earlier than last year, so we have to grow up and grow up soon. Looking forward to that transformation as we go into this ballgame."

So what is different about UK, which took Florida to overtime two years ago and then had chances to beat the Gators again last year in Lexington before losing.

"These guys are really good," the Florida coach said Monday. "You can tell the influences (the coaches) have had in three years," McElwain said.

He also complimented Kentucky on its commitment to upgrading facilities.

"Each year they get just a little bit better and you can see how opportunistic they are on defense. They’re a team that led the SEC a year ago defensively as far as scoring touchdowns and they haven’t let off this year," the Florida coach said.

Then the coach pointed out a few things that makes one wonder how much he really knew about the Wildcats.

He talked about quarterback Drew Barker being an "experience guy" despite having made just three starts now. He talked about how UK used "three legitimate backs" even though Boom Williams and JoJo Kemp were UK's backs last week. He also said UK has a new coordinator in Eddie Gran, but the same "system tree." Pretty sure Gran would not agree with that.

"The different personnel groupings that they play cause you issues. Everything has a run-pass option. You can see the quarterback has a real command on what he’s doing and his numbers in efficiency show that, especially after you see what he did last week," McElwain said. "Up front, they’ve got linemen back that have played in this league and they understand that it takes. So, I look at this as one heck of a challenge for the Gators this week.”
    Comments 17 Comments
      ebarbaau -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      By LARRY VAUGHT

Florida coach Jim McElwain noted Monday that Saturday's game at Florida will show Gator fans that this is "not the same old Kentucky" that Florida has beat 29 straight times -- the nation's longest win streak. On top of that, the Cats are coming off a 44-35 loss to Southern Miss where they blew a 35-10 lead.

"We’re really looking forward to this week as we move forward to a 3:30 game, national television (CBS) against a team that is hurting little bit. Obviously, they had a 25-point lead, only had the ball 15 (plays) in the second half," the Florida coach said Monday.

"Kentucky was going up and down the field and stopped themselves a couple times. They're going to come in here obviously with that mentality where the last time they played in this stadium probably felt they could have won the ballgame.

"You know, a lot of things that go into that, but more importantly for us, opening of SEC play. Earlier than last year, so we have to grow up and grow up soon. Looking forward to that transformation as we go into this ballgame."

So what is different about UK, which took Florida to overtime two years ago and then had chances to beat the Gators again last year in Lexington before losing.

"These guys are really good," the Florida coach said Monday. "You can tell the influences (the coaches) have had in three years," McElwain said.

He also complimented Kentucky on its commitment to upgrading facilities.

"Each year they get just a little bit better and you can see how opportunistic they are on defense. They’re a team that led the SEC a year ago defensively as far as scoring touchdowns and they haven’t let off this year," the Florida coach said.

Then the coach pointed out a few things that makes one wonder how much he really knew about the Wildcats.

He talked about quarterback Drew Barker being an "experience guy" despite having made just three starts now. He talked about how UK used "three legitimate backs" even though Boom Williams and JoJo Kemp were UK's backs last week. He also said UK has a new coordinator in Eddie Gran, but the same "system tree." Pretty sure Gran would not agree with that.

"The different personnel groupings that they play cause you issues. Everything has a run-pass option. You can see the quarterback has a real command on what he’s doing and his numbers in efficiency show that, especially after you see what he did last week," McElwain said. "Up front, they’ve got linemen back that have played in this league and they understand that it takes. So, I look at this as one heck of a challenge for the Gators this week.”
      Reminds me of how impressed opposing coaches were of Tubby Smith's teams
      kybobcat -
      KSRBEvans -
      Quote Originally Posted by ebarbaau View Post
      He knows a good thing* when he sees it and he's willing to say whatever he can to keep it going.

I expect to hear a lot of similar things from SEC coaches this season. They'd love to see Stoops stay forever.

*--for his team.
      Doc -
      The scoreboard is all that matters, and odds are it will be the same old Kentucky
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by ebarbaau View Post
      Does the "ball line defense" translate to football?
      suncat05 -
      I may not even watch this game. Or any other Kentucky football game the rest of this season. I'm pretty much done with these players and coaches. Two games in a row now where they had big leads going into halftime and they still find a way to lose.
      And just like I said before, Kentucky will find a way to lose to Florida this weekend too. 30 in a row, and counting.
      Terry Blue -
      You guys are the definition of "true" fans. Hope you're proud of yourselves. I heard from a friend in Florida who is from Ky but is pretty removed from here. When I told him what many Ky "fans" were saying after the game. He said, "Well, if they're not supportive of the team after a loss, then they're not really fans". Do they say the same things after a basketball loss." Comments from an objective person, who is now retired after a career as a VP with a Major Company
      KSRBEvans -
      Do UK fans say the same things after a basketball loss? During the BCG Era when we were NIT-bound and BCG was driving the program into the ground, you betcha. I remember catching some flak when I changed my avatar to one of those paper-bag-on-head guys.

When it's clear the program is off the rails and the administration has no interest in fixing the problem (and let's remember how bad it got before they finally let BCG go), you're just enabling poor management by continuing to do the "All Is Well!" thing.

And I guaran-freaking-tee you that fans of Florida or any other SEC school who were the continuing victims of program malpractice would be saying a lot more and a lot louder.

Jeeepcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
      Do UK fans say the same things after a basketball loss? During the BCG Era when we were NIT-bound and BCG was driving the program into the ground, you betcha. I remember catching some flak when I changed my avatar to one of those paper-bag-on-head guys.

When it's clear the program is off the rails and the administration has no interest in fixing the problem (and let's remember how bad it got before they finally let BCG go), you're just enabling poor management by continuing to do the "All Is Well!" thing.

And I guaran-freaking-tee you that fans of Florida or any other SEC school who were the continuing victims of program malpractice would be saying a lot more and a lot louder.

Which is a big part of why they don't struggle to field a respectable team like we do.

There's your loyalty Terry. WE FANS owe it to the program to have standards and hold those responsible accountable.
      suncat05 -
      I do not agree with TB on this. But then, he is the eternal optimist, and there is nothing wrong with that either. I am, as most here are, a pragmatist. We have seen this so many times before that we're used to the abuse that is Kentucky football. I wish that I could be more like TB in his optimism. But I see what I see and just know that it probably isn't going to improve.
      I admire TB for his optimism. But on this one particular subject I just cannot fully agree with him.
      kingcat -
      To this point in history, there is little in the UK football program to be proud of except their name. It is not respectable, nor respected nationally.
      likely not even looked upon as on Vandy's level.

Those aren't angry or disappointed words, they are facts. And until that, and not the rhetoric, changes there will be little pride or confidence in any program.

HerbTarlek -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      You guys are the definition of "true" fans. Hope you're proud of yourselves. I heard from a friend in Florida who is from Ky but is pretty removed from here. When I told him what many Ky "fans" were saying after the game. He said, "Well, if they're not supportive of the team after a loss, then they're not really fans". Do they say the same things after a basketball loss." Comments from an objective person, who is now retired after a career as a VP with a Major Company
      Shut up. Impugning our integrity as fans for the past years should be enough to get you banned. If you want to read a bunch of posts from people who think like yourself, than found your own message board and converse with yourself.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by HerbTarlek View Post
      Shut up. Impugning our integrity as fans for the past years should be enough to get you banned. If you want to read a bunch of posts from people who think like yourself, than found your own message board and converse with yourself.
      +1. TB is the original bobble head fan.
      Doc -
      apparently "TRUE FAN" =
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeeepcat View Post
      Which is a big part of why they don't struggle to field a respectable team like we do.

There's your loyalty Terry. WE FANS owe it to the program to have standards and hold those responsible accountable.
      Exactly... I saw how those true FL football fans were after Urban left and Muschamp came in, or Ron Zook. Zook lasted 2 years, Muschamp 3! But then unless you blindly ignore the obvious, you aren't a true fan. What a joke.
      snoopcat -
      I know UF who still not like Urban after his 1st national championship. They claimed he was lucky and Spurrier was much better. So please do not compare UK fans to them. If Stoops was coaching their team they would be charging the castle with pitch forks and torches in hand.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by snoopcat View Post
      I know UF who still not like Urban after his 1st national championship. They claimed he was lucky and Spurrier was much better. So please do not compare UK fans to them. If Stoops was coaching their team they would be charging the castle with pitch forks and torches in hand.
  • KSR Twitter Feed