Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Elam surprises Vaught

By LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky's open football practice for media members today produced two surprises for me involving junior defensive lineman Matt Elam.

First, he had a cast on his hand.

“Nothing major. Just preventative. Just something with his thumb," Kentucky coach Mark Stoops said after practice.

Second, Elam turned down an interview request. He's always been a go-to guy for the media and I was a bit shocked he turned down a chance to talk (so did Denzil Ware). I wondered if he not liked something I wrote or said.

"No, he's just tired of talking about his weight. He'll talk next week he says when it is game week," a UK spokesman said.

I can accept that -- and like it. Elam clearly wants his play, not his weight, to do his talking and that's a good sign for UK. Plus, he still looked a lot slimmer in practice than he did last year and maybe even slimmer than when preseason camp open.

"Matt, he’s got to continue to fundamentally play better. He’s improved in certain areas. His conditioning, his weight is better, but it’s still a work in progress," Stoops said.
    Comments 3 Comments
      BigBluePappy -
      If it were because he did not like something Mr. V wrote or said, then he had to have a problem with the truth; and I hope that isn't the case.

I truly hope he wants his play and not his weight to be the big focal point.
      Hope he is working on getting low to the ground and not letting smaller lineman use his weight against him...
      CitizenBBN -
      Yeah, it's not Larry. he's tired of hearing it, and the media is only one part of where he hears it. All the social media stuff, the campus stuff, it's a lot.

He came in with Alabama sized expectations, that's tough.
      Terry Blue -
      Believe me after seeing Matt interact with LV at the Hornung Award ceremony it,s nothing against LV
  • KSR Twitter Feed