Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Coach Lamar Thomas Molding his Receivers for SEC Wars

By: LONNY DEMAREE

There is little doubt that the focus that was missing last season in the wide receiver corps is something that is the main-mold the coaching staff is shaping.
    Coach Lamar Thomas said there will be no prima donna’s in his unit so much so that he even eliminated most of his beard. “I don’t want that to be a distraction,” Thomas explained. He said kids today have to be shown there is a proper way to accomplish anything. He said – “I always wanted to play for a coach that I knew had my back. And believed that something I am telling them is the truth and not find out it was something else. When you get kids believing that whether on the field or off the field they will play for you. We want to make sure the student part is right and the athlete part will likely be right.

When asked if the attitude of the team was something he (Eddie Gran) had to work on and he said “Yes” in no uncertain terms. “They’ve got a really good attitude and they are making some plays,” Gran said after a recent scrimmage. “They are making some contested plays. And I don’t see anybody pouting.” The suspicion was last year’s attitude amongst the receivers has changed and Gran said it was not just the receivers it was the running backs - it was everybody. “I didn’t know them, they didn’t know me, and it was new for everybody.

Thomas said when he looked back a lot of these guys had to play a lot of downs. “Confidence is very important with these guys.” It’s very interesting that Thomas in keeping with the prima donna theory, is hesitant to single out any one of his receivers. And perhaps the other reason is the quality depth of his group. I’m really excited with how they all are working. Thomas said - “If I singled out any one guy I would have to single out all of them. I’m very happy that they are developing some type of leadership in the room and holding each other accountable.” He was asked about Kayaune Ross? “Godzilla,” you know he’s been away from the game for a while,” Thomas affectionately said. “He’s learning the offense. You can tell he’s putting in the time. Eddie Gran said the last two days he’s made a jump. He said Ross has a big body and he’s learning to play at this tempo and he is really improving. Gran said he doesn’t know whether Ross will play in the first game or the sixth game. He had a couple touchdowns in Saturdays scrimmage.

When my number’s called he’ll be ready. Asked what is his biggest confidence boost since practice started? “Seeing myself getting better and making plays,” Ross said. “I may not be so good one day at something but I watch the film and correct that and see myself getting better.” Asked what would be his biggest asset he said “My Hands.”

Gran said (Dorian) Baker is playing faster than he’s ever played – more physical than he’s ever played. “He’s got to get through the whole camp,” Gran emphasized. “That’s what I’m looking for to finish the camp and get into the season. But right now he’s done a good job. Gran said they’ve got to be on the same page, no selfish players. He said – “There are no selfish players and they are getting tougher.

Tavin Richardson said the biggest boost for him this fall camp is getting better at route running. With the intense heat has it been difficult holding his weight? “No, not really,” the youngster said. “I weight in before practice at around 215-poudss and at the end I’m around 212 or 210,” The competition has been good Richardson said. “It’s helped me get better because I’m a competitor,” he said. Like Ross, Richardson said his biggest asset is catching the football with his hands and trying to keep it away from his body.

Garrett Johnson said going against the secondary he has to figure out ways to be creative and it make them (all the receivers) better. Johnson said that setting on the front row in the (meeting) room which numbers four, it makes you keep your foot on the pedal because you don’t know what those guys setting behind you are doing. Has there been a day this camp when he has not been on the front row? “No Sir,” he proudly stated. “It makes you keep working on and off the field to stay on that front row.”
    Comments 8 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      Good info Lonnie. These guys are key to this season
      dan_bgblue -
      I love hearing comments about the receivers catching the ball with their hands and keeping it off their body. Hope they can all learn to do that before the season starts. If they re truly good at doing that, it will turn a lot of misses into completions
      Terry Blue -
      When I went to Fan Day didn,t see but a couple drops in first 30 min of practice. When 11 on 11 started, of course there were a few but not bad, Those 3 lb football they caught in off season must have helped
      CGWildcat -
      So freaking excited! Reports like this amp me up!
      suncat05 -
      Every year we hear the same stuff, "they've improved"' "they're bigger, faster, stronger", they're making good progress"........show me. I have to be convinced. Otherwise, stop flapping the gums.
      Terry Blue -
      This year is nothing like the previous Stoops years. The whole attitude and rhetoric is much more positive and optimistic this year
      kingcat -
      Just win baby..just win!
      Darrell KSR -
      That seems to be extremely evident. Hopefully that bodes very well for the season!
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      This year is nothing like the previous Stoops years. The whole attitude and rhetoric is much more positive and optimistic this year
  • KSR Twitter Feed