Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• This Staff’s Coaches Quips and Player Clichés Glossary

By: LONNY DEMAREE

When coaches have been in the business a lengthy period of time they develop quips as well as other language for the same plays they’ve run other places. So here are the ear catchers circulating around the UK camp since they’ve been on the job – some standard and some off the cuff.
    - “WOW”: This is what Coach Vince Marrow the first year they arrived here said when Western Kentucky’s football came out on the field. “These guys are bigger than us and we are an SEC school,” Marrow said. “I said to Coach Stoops we’ve got to get out and recruit some players.”
    - The Meeting room: Wide receiver coach Lamar Thomas said in the meeting room he puts his starters on the front row. He tells them if they want to set on the front row they have to earn the spot.
    - One- hundred and Ten Percent: Marrow said that about what he would say about the talent difference had to win with.
    - The Joe’s: Players that are difference makers.
    - Look in his eyes: Marrow said he’s has spent a lot of time with Drew Barker especially helping recruit the 2014 class. “Last year I didn’t think he was ready because of a lot of things off the field – a 2.3 GPA and I look at GPA now from last year to a 3.87,” the coach said. Looking at him now he has the ‘look in his eyes’ he’s ready, trust me he’s ready.
    - 10.5: This describes on a scale of 1-10 the difference Barkers made from last year. Marrow said – “I don’t know if he re-recruited himself or what.”
    - Great Hire: The hire of Darin Hinshaw is one of the greatest hires Stoops has made and I’ve seen anywhere. “He knows what they (quarterbacks) go through,” Vince Marrow said. “He know all there is to know about a quarterback.”
    - The Burner: Ryan Timmons said they have tall receivers, they have tough receivers, they have slot receivers, and if they want a quick strike the have Jeff Badet.
    - Day Lost: In the meeting room Lamar Thomas told Timmons that being a senior every day that passes is a day lost for him. He said that in that meeting room the other receivers can get that day back.
    - The Cougar: Back at the women’s clinic an older lady was fawning over how cute Gunner Hoak was.
    - Toolbox: These are the plays the offensive coordinator has in his playbook. Gran said he like to have enough to show a team something different in the second-half.
    - “NO”: Listening to Coach Eddie Gran he has not one, not two, but three tight ends that can run, catch, and block at a high level in the SEC. When asked if he could use some two tight-end sets, he coyly said “NO”, not wanting to give any game-plan away.
    - Beast: When searching around to find a way to describe defensive lineman Narquez Pringle, fellow lineman Adrian Middleton settled on ‘Beast.’ “He’s so strong,” Middleton said. “He is working on his fundamentals and backing up Matt Elam.” Tymere Dubose said Pringle is a ‘Gorilla’. “He can get in there and attack.”
    - Shooting High: Tymere Dubose has a wild-child history since coming to UK. Can he translate that to the football field? “Yeah I think I can come out here and make some violent tackles,” Dubose said. He said he wants to player Florida. “I want to get my hand on some Florida guys, a couple of Alabama guys, I want to go after the big guys. I’m reaching for the stars and the little guys, I’m going to eat them.”
    - Addition by Subtraction: Sometimes when a starter steps aside someone else steps up stronger than previously thought.
    Comments 2 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      Alas, we had some fans who actually thought Joker was bringing in SEC talent.

Good article Lonnie. Aside from the Western definition in the glossary, some of it was pretty funny.
      Terry Blue -
      Mick. I think that Joker,s recruiting classes overall were ranked quite a bit higher than what The Ole Man brought in
      Were they seriously overrated or was Joker and staff much weaker at developing talent. I guarantee that Joker,s recruiting was judged by the services as being far superior to Western
  • KSR Twitter Feed