Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Aaron Boyd Scaled Adversities in Reaching the Top

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Senior wide receiver has now reached the number one spot on the depth chart and will be the first to take the field on Saturday against Kent State in Commonweath Stadium.

Having been a resident of Lexington for several moon's I have come to know many of the Boyd family and this makes it somewhat cumbersome in writing about Aaron Boyds trek to the top. He has been the target of a vast amount of scrutiny and his desire to be sucessful, on his part, has been misguided. But he stayed the course.

PLACE: Commonwealth Stadium
    EVENT: Fan day night
    SCENE: Yours truly is walking the side line.
    FROM THE STANDS: Hey Lonny! Right after the great fifty-yard laying out catch of Aaron Boyd from Morgan Newton; Beaming with pride was Grandmother Betty Boyd and mother Sherer Boyd.

"I was always confident in myself and that's why I got on the field Sunday," said a thankful Boyd. When asked did he ever envision this day when he is finally named a starter at the wide receiver position? "I always dreamed about it," he said. I tried not to focus on the negative and keep positivie people in my life. When I was out on the field running I said to myself I'm actually playing again. Before the game coach Joker told me he was really proud of me and that really hit me."

Joker Phillips expressed his feelings on Aaron Boyd when he said - "I'm so proud of Aaron. He sayed the course; He handled business the right way; He deserves to be the starter by doing all the little things (like blocking)." Phillips many times many of the big runs or the results of downfield blocks. "We need him to have a good year," Phillips said.

Did the family get restless and or disgruntled? "Not at all," said uncle Glenn Boyd the proprietor of the Ebony Barber Shop, the shop in that Joker phillips brother barber's out of. "I always told him to take care of what he can and not worry about things he can't control. He came from a family of hard workers and I told him when your opportunity arises br sure you are ready." To the question of getting disgruntled or disenfranchised Glenn Boyd said "There is no quiting - finished what you started."

Boyd received new life when a coaching change took place. Receiver coach Pat Washington ignored the past and made his own judgement about Boyd.
    Comments 7 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      He played very well and I was very glad to see it.
      imsoblue -
      He played outstanding, very inspiring. He may be the the key to the offense having a good year or a great year. The TD catch was great but that sideline catch was a thing of beauty.
      Thanks Aaron.
      Darrell KSR -
      I know Lonny, knowing the family, must have felt great watching him play last night. Nice feel good situation.
      CitizenBBN -
      Made the game for me to see him do so well. It was awesome, and I loved listening to the radio call b/c they were just as excited.
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      [QUOTE=dan_bgblue;6901]He played very well and I was very glad to see it.[/QUOTE

Me too Dan, it's obvious he's put in a lot of time learning to do all the little things like blocking downfield, learnig to use his size to get position for making catches due to his lack of speed. He's become a complete possession receiver IMO and as said above could prove to be a key once we get to conference play.

He's got great hands, best we've seen in a number of years IMO and he's learned to be a complete WR. Add in Sweat, Robinson, Collins, King, etc and it gives Max or Whitlow alot of targets once we get into conference play. Believe he hit what 11 different players during the game so it helps having a Big strong possession type WR like Aaron. I believe he'll prove to be a great asset this season.

Really happy for Aaron too, he'd been in the dog house for an awful long time......happy for the Boyd Family Too. I know they've waited a long time for Aaron to get his chance to prove his worth.
      CitizenBBN -
      He was in the dog house so long they should rename it the Boyd house. 4 years is a heck of a long stretch to be chained up out back.
      MickintheHam -
      Lonny, that is a great piece you wrote. Aaron has certainly caught hell from a lot of folks. I'm glad to see the Lexington kid turn it around. He deserves accolades for his performance on Saturday night. Here's hoping he has 11 more great games in him for UK.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post