Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Coaches don't tell the truth about John Calipari

By LARRY VAUGHT

FRANKLIN, Ohio — College coaches don't tell the truth about John Calipari.

No kidding. That's what former Kentucky All-American Jack Givens said Saturday at the Ohio UK Convention here when talking about the one-and-done strategy that has worked for Calipari at UK.

"I am a fan and I like having these guys here for more than a year. There's nothing good about it," said Givens. "Think of some the players here and think of some that could have played together if they had stayed for more than a year."

But now here's the funny part — that actually could be true.

"You hear all these coaches complain about one and dones. Do you know that at night when these guys go to bed they get on their knees and say, 'Thank you Lord for these one and dones.' Just think about it. Coaches don't want to play against that at Kentucky if those guys all stayed more than a year," Givens said.

"I am not a one and done fan. I know you fans don't like it. You guys like to know everything there is to know about players. But just remember those other coaches like the one and done when it comes to Kentucky."
    Comments 17 Comments
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Fans don't like the one and dones? Not sure that's accurate.
      badrose -
      Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
      Fans don't like the one and dones? Not sure that's accurate.
      We love the players but wish they stayed around longer.
      dan_bgblue -
      ET, imo most fans love the talent that allows the players to be a one and done, but in my perfect word, the talented players would still play for UK, but they would all do it for 2 or 3 years. No more teams of freshmen playing 80% of the minutes.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      ET, imo most fans love the talent that allows the players to be a one and done, but in my perfect word, the talented players would still play for UK, but they would all do it for 2 or 3 years. No more teams of freshmen playing 80% of the minutes.
      this x infinity.

I love the kids, and it's great to recruit this well, but we'd be even better if we had just a bit more experience, and I do miss watching the kids as they develop over their careers. Also I'm not convinced 1 and done is what's best for a number of them.

I'm a fan of a two year minimum by the NBA. Gives the guys a chance to get over their freshmanitis and time to mature some physically and emotionally and settle into being away from home, etc. There's a big difference for any student from freshman to sophomore years. But it still gets guys to the pros who are ready.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      I don't hate the sure fire one and dones. I just hate that the message and 'tradition' of it are such a big part of the program now that every kid, signee or recruit, feels like he should be one and done or that those who are destined to be will always get PT whether they deserve it or not over older guys.
      dan_bgblue -
      or that those who are destined to be will always get PT whether they deserve it or not over older guys.
      That is an excellent point and one that has become a burr under my saddle blanket for several years. On the other side of that issue, it is obvious that Coach can see talent that I can not see and to bring in all the talent he has landed at UK, he has to stay true to his goal of fulfilling the dreams of the one and done talent as soon as possible. It is rare when we see the veteran players moving on to fulfill their dreams of playing in the league. It happens as in Miller, WCS, who was on his own timetable, and Jorts, but that is an exception rather than the rule. jmho
      Edward100 -
      If these people were accountants, would anyone even notice they were only here for a year? I’m fine with O-N-D and making millionaires. If that how they want to do it, great but throw in a title along the way.
      Padukacat -
      I'm fine if everyone made the best decision but it's the guys that won't really break into an NBA lineup the next year that drive me nuts. I think if the ones that went past the lotto or first round would come back we would look a lot different. There are a few guys we have ea year that are ready to go. I'd like a two year min with the option to leave if drafted in the first year. Make second round selections be only guys that have played 2 years.
      Darrell KSR -
      I like the one and done players. I don't like the one and done rule. (Actually, I'm fine with the one and done rule from an objective standpoint; would be ok with a none and done rule, too. But players become endeared to me in one season, even moreso in two, and so on, and so forth. It's only natural.)
      anderwt -
      The real downside to the one and done rule is, we don't get to see a guy like Devin Booker or Trey Lyles reach their potential in one year. Both look to be stars in the NBA. Same goes for a Skal type or Teague or heck I think a Doron Lamb serves Better by being in college longer. I love them all, they are always wildcats in my eyes
      KeithKSR -
      I'd like to see an open draft of college players under the one and done rule. Players could be drafted anytime after their freshman year without declaring for the draft. The NBA and the player both have the option to allow the player to remain in college and play at the the NCAA level.
      dan_bgblue -
      Keith, why not extend that to include high school seniors like they do in baseball? However if they choose to take a scholarship from a post secondary institution, they have to attend that school for 3 years. Is that not a workable scenario?
      Doc -
      The "one and dones" don't bother me one bit. I love recruiting and the one and dones afford a huge influx every year. While recruiting is about who you get, its also about keeping other schools from getting a player.

But if I had one way to change it, I'd make every 2 years of college ball decrease the length of your first contract by 1 year. So a player who plays 2 years of college ball has 2 years of pro ball to get to his second (and much more lucrative) contract rather than 3 years for a 1 year college player. A kid who stays in college for 4 years would reach that contract in 1 year of NBA play. It would make staying in college beneficial to a player because ALL players believe they are NBA ready and are going to make the league and one of their goals is to get to the big contracts asap. They want to get the clock ticking on the second contract which is 3 years. By the 2 yrs of college = 1 year of NBA it make sense to stay in college because staying in college doesn't set you back a year
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      The "one and dones" don't bother me one bit. I love recruiting and the one and dones afford a huge influx every year. While recruiting is about who you get, its also about keeping other schools from getting a player.

But if I had one way to change it, I'd make every 2 years of college ball decrease the length of your first contract by 1 year. So a player who plays 2 years of college ball has 2 years of pro ball to get to his second (and much more lucrative) contract rather than 3 years for a 1 year college player. A kid who stays in college for 4 years would reach that contract in 1 year of NBA play. It would make staying in college beneficial to a player because ALL players believe they are NBA ready and are going to make the league and one of their goals is to get to the big contracts asap. They want to get the clock ticking on the second contract which is 3 years. By the 2 yrs of college = 1 year of NBA it make sense to stay in college because staying in college doesn't set you back a year
      Pretty cool concept.
      uklandrn -
      It is sad that I used to be able to recite every player's hometown - nowadays I am lucky to know which state they guy is from. Part of this is because Cawood isn't calling the games anymore so I don't listen to the radio as much (because all the games are on tv) and part of it is because the players are here for such a short amount of time. It could also be I am just getting old and forgetful!
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by uklandrn View Post
      It is sad that I used to be able to recite every player's hometown - nowadays I am lucky to know which state they guy is from. Part of this is because Cawood isn't calling the games anymore so I don't listen to the radio as much (because all the games are on tv) and part of it is because the players are here for such a short amount of time. It could also be I am just getting old and forgetful!
      And part is because you don't following recruiting in depth. Its strictly a time thing. If you aren't exposed to the player until he reaches UK you aren't going to know all that much about him. One of the reasons I enjoy recruiting is because I do get that for several years prior to getting to Lexington (or elsewhere if they end up there).
      Darrell KSR -
      By the time a "one and done" player leaves Lexington, Doc has already been acquainted with them about five years, and he's ready to move on...much like he does with his wives.

(Please don't let Mrs. Doc see this. She'll kill me. Plus she's much nicer than Doc.)
  • KSR Twitter Feed