Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Givens, Macy and Joe B. Hall present Kentucky jersey to driver Tony Stewart

By LARRY VAUGHT

Jack Givens has had a lot of memorable moments during his athletics career. However, he said being part of a special presentation for driver Tony Stewart at Kentucky Speedway Saturday night in Sparta is something he will never forget.

Givens, former UK teammate Kyle Macy and former UK coach Joe Hall presented Stewart with a No. 14 Kentucky basketball jersey. Stewart is retiring after this season and got a huge ovation during driver introductions when he got the jersey.

"Coming to Kentucky Speedway has come to be a really fun day for me," said Givens, who lives in northern Kentucky. "It was my third straight year going to the race. I am not a big-time NASCAR guy. I am a big Danica Patrick fan, but I guess all guys are."

Givens was invited to the track by Kentucky Speedway president Mark Simendinger and has enjoyed being part of the event.

He joked it was a bit odd to present Stewart, an Indiana native who is a "big" Purdue fan, with a Kentucky jersey.

"But he did say he would frame the jersey and put on his wall," Givens said. "It was such a special time, though, with a bunch of UK fans there."

Givens was the 1978 Final Four Most Outstanding Player. Macy was one of the most beloved UK players ever.

"You talk about how fans react to players. But the real superstar there was Joe Hall," Givens said. "He signed autographs everywhere we walked. Fans acted like they did not know us to get to him. He was the star, not me or Macy or even Tony Stewart."
    Comments 2 Comments
      badrose -
      The Goose is still Golden.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
      The Goose is still Golden.
      Where is the "like" button?
  • KSR Twitter Feed