Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Peach Jam(med) with Talent, Part II (Power Forwards and Centers)

By: RONALD BALL

(This is part II of a series involving the week at Peach Jam, 2016. Part I focused on point guards, shooting guards, and small forwards. This part will focus on the bigs, power forwards and centers.)

Power Forwards:

Paul Washington-This is one of my favorite players in the class. I see him ranked in the upper teens to twenties and will tell you that is too low. He has it all. Excellent size and quickness to play under the glass as well as toughness. He isn't pushed around but rather is doing the pushing. Averaged 15.6 ppg on 57% shooting but needs to work on his FT shooting (26% in pool player and 56% for the league play). He averages over 10 rebounds a game in the combined league, pool and bracket play. He is your physical anchor down low. IMO he is a taller Chuck Hayes. Texas or Kentucky?

Billy Preston-Anther player out of competition with an injury, Preston is physically imposing. I think we are behind on this one and will be hard to get him out of the west but still an interesting prospect. Seems to rely as much on his athleticism as his skills, both of which he has plenty. Plays very much "in the paint".

Centers

Mohamed Bamba-Was able to see him last December and was bit disappointed due to his lack of strength. I'm not as concerned about that now. Although still thin, he does not play thin. As most know I'm not a fan of thin players in the paint as they tend to be pushed around. This isn't the case with Bamba. He does not shy away from contact, unlike previous thin centers we have had. He has an extremely long reach and outstanding hands. His game is well suited for Calipari, who thrives on bigs with good hands. He doesn't see himself a guard or want to be a guard, something I view as a big plus. He led the league in rebounding with just under 14 per game to go with 16.5 points in pool play. He also averaged 3.8 blocks so you can see why Coach Cal has compared him to Anthony Davis.

DeAndre Ayton-Has been criticized for wanting to play the perimeter but I have to say I didn't see anything like was reported, either in SC or Hampton. I'm moving him to the top spot, just like all the other guys, and I hate doing that! Does he like to shoot the jumper? Sure, but he only took 6 all weekend so its not like he is shooting 4 or 5 a game. His game mirrors DeMarcus Cousins in high school. With the right coach that is solved. He averaged 21.6 points for the pool play and 13.2 rebounds. His physical presence is huge. He is a big kid who has room to put on some more muscle. Currently listed at 235, I can see him very effective at 250.

Wendell Carter-He has been my top player in the class based on previous evaluation but I have to change that because both Bamba and Ayton outplayed him in my opinion. His strongest suit was his long range shooting, something he didn't do as illustrated by the 1 trey he took all weekend. He only averaged 8.2 points in pool play and just 6.8 rebounds.

Nick Richards-Another player I seen several times over the last 10 months, and I'm still confused every time I watch. I can't seem to get a grasp of who or what is going to show up. At times he plays disinterested and other times show evidence of great potential. At 7 feet and 230, he should dominate most opponents. I will admit I was more impressed with his showing in Augusta than I was in VA. At Peach Jam he averaged 13 in both points and rebounds. He showed me one of his best games in pool play then. This is a player who needs the right coach and the right situation. I'm not sure if that is Cal/UK or not.

I expect a class of 7-8 players. As far as the overall class, there is plenty of talent there but the top players are not like the 2016 class. Its a deep class but the top talent isn't head and shoulders better in quality and quantity. Its a class good enough that you can build a team off of it, unlike the 2015 class.

Images courtesy Jon Lopez/Nike EYBL
    Comments 10 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      I will only say thanks in the 2nd thread but I am certainly not ignoring the first, Really nice reporting Doc. If you could be coach for a day and wave a magic wand to convince any players you really wanted to play for UK, which PF and which center would be wearing UK blue and white?

I know/Think UK is going to need numbers in this class, I would like for them to be valuable numbers
      KMSBball -
      Great job Doc. Thanks for your info it's always very informative.
      UKFlounder -
      Great stuff.

Isn't Washington seriously interested in UNC or is it really between UK and Texas?
      Padukacat -
      Good stuff again, like to read that Ayton wasn't trying to be a guard and used his skills as a big. When I saw him last year he was basically shooting from the outside at the clip of Jamal MURRAY to start this past season. However when he wanted to play like a big he was good, really good, unlike skal and thon when I saw them. Ayton has the body and big man skills to be the best center in the NBA for a long time and honestly I think he was just expanding his game a bit in high school because it was a good time to learn and he was being told to do it. Only drawback to him is that he knows he's the next big ticket and his attitude on the floor really put me off because it was more about self and swagger. Did you see a better attitude on the court than I'm describing doc?
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      Good stuff again, like to read that Ayton wasn't trying to be a guard and used his skills as a big. When I saw him last year he was basically shooting from the outside at the clip of Jamal MURRAY to start this past season. However when he wanted to play like a big he was good, really good, unlike skal and thon when I saw them. Ayton has the body and big man skills to be the best center in the NBA for a long time and honestly I think he was just expanding his game a bit in high school because it was a good time to learn and he was being told to do it. Only drawback to him is that he knows he's the next big ticket and his attitude on the floor really put me off because it was more about self and swagger. Did you see a better attitude on the court than I'm describing doc?

Frame wise, he reminds me a lot of Greg Monroe or Andre Dummond. He will put on some wt his first year in college but almost has an NBA body. When he wants to bang he is very good at it.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
      Great stuff.

Isn't Washington seriously interested in UNC or is it really between UK and Texas?
      247/Crystal Ball has Texas favored with UK then UNC. I don't recall any of the UNC-CH big wigs watching his games. UK had either Barbee or Cal there but then we are also on Petty. I don't recall seeing Roy napping on the sidelines during any of Washington's games.

Hoss -
      Good stuff Doc!

We have pretty much the same feelings about the same players.

I gotta get to some more stuff in person! That would be a blast!
      Edward100 -
      U da Man, Doc
      backagain -
      I watched Richards play every game. Kid is big, but he seems to lack motivation sometimes. He is skiled, but as you have heard many times about others players, his motor is the question.

Bamba has length that is stunning. I sat right on the floor for a couple of his games and he is a sight to behold. He is really good. Plays the post. Runs well. Rebounds great. Bliocks shots. Unlike Richards, Bamba has no motor issues.

Ayton is BIG. He has an NBA frame already, but you can see where he can get even bigger. Kid plays hard and is skilled. I saw him shoot a few threes, but overall he was a post player. Is he the best player in the class? Who knowsm but he will likely be the #1 pick.

The only area where Doc and I differ at all is our opinion of PJ Washington. He is a big bruiser who has no issues with strength. My only question is his ability to finish. As strong as he is, I was taken back by how many chip shots he missed. I am hoping I saw the excpetion and not the rule. I will say his shot is good and he rebounds well. Obviously if he wants to be a Cat I will be happy.

Later...
      Doc -
      Washington looked much better in Hampton VA a month ago against the same competition so that will influence how I see him. I won't disagree based on Peach Jam.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post