Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Lee Transferring

Lee Plans to Withdraw from NBA Draft, Transfer from UK
    Lee finishes his Kentucky career 20th on the all-time blocked shots list

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky men’s basketball junior forward Marcus Lee will remove his name from the 2016 NBA Draft but plans to transfer to complete his collegiate eligibility at another school.

Upon completing his paperwork to withdraw from the draft, Lee will be granted a full release with no restrictions.

“Marcus Lee informed us today that he is pulling his name out of the draft but has decided he is going to transfer to a school out west to be closer to his family,” head coach John Calipari said. “We talked it through together and discussed the team next season, which he said had no bearing on his decision. I also told him he was a semester away from graduating. With that said, he was still adamant that, after the combine experience, a year off and regrouping would be the best thing. As always I support my players and their decisions.”

Lee enjoyed the best season of his Kentucky career during his junior campaign where he boasted career highs in points per game (6.4), rebounds per game (6.0), total blocks (59) and total assists (11). He shot a team-best 68.0 percent from the floor, the best single-season field-goal percentage in school history with a minimum of 150 attempts. His 216 total rebounds were the most on the team, and he led the team in blocked shots in a team-high 18 games.

“I want to thank the University of Kentucky, the basketball staff and the Big Blue Nation for supporting me over the years,” Lee said. “I’m sorry it took me so long to come to this decision, but I’m trying to do what’s right for me and my family. I’ll always think fondly of my time at Kentucky.”

Lee ranks 20th all-time with 100 career blocked shots. He averaged 3.9 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.0 blocked shots in 100 career games at Kentucky.

A two-time Southeastern Conference Community Service Team member, Lee recently concluded participation in the 2016 NCAA Leadership Forum where he was the SEC’s male representative at the weekend-long conference.
    Comments 48 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Skal may have a slight complaint, but don't see it from Marcus. Love the kid, but scratched my head trying to figure out how to use him. At least there was another way *to* use Skal, but I'm clueless for Marcus.
      Darryl -
      Folks thought I was too harsh about Lee but my scouting report on him:

1. Can't post up with back to basket and be a threat
      2. Can't make a shot outside 4 feet
      3. Horrible FT shooter since his freshman year in high school (low 40% every single season) and then per Jon Scott he is the worst FT shooter in UK history
      4. Good rebounder; good help defender
      5. Poor primary defender
      6. Blocks shots but nearly always spikes the ball out of bounds
      7. Excellent at lob passes and dunking ball
      8. Decent passer
      9. Great kid

Darryl
      CitizenBBN -
      I honestly think Cal didn't misuse Skal as much as even he claimed, I think he had him in more pick and roll than most anyone and he only increased it. Maybe some but not just horribly. Skal was simply very weak for a big man and has very limited feel for the game due to his lack of experience.

but I agree he had at least some skill he could point to and say "coach, I can do this to help us win." What Lee did best was be that high energy guy who went after rebounds. that's not bad, but it is what Cal was having him do, so I fail to see the misuse.
      Padukacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      I honestly think Cal didn't misuse Skal as much as even he claimed, I think he had him in more pick and roll than most anyone and he only increased it. Maybe some but not just horribly. Skal was simply very weak for a big man and has very limited feel for the game due to his lack of experience.

but I agree he had at least some skill he could point to and say "coach, I can do this to help us win." What Lee did best was be that high energy guy who went after rebounds. that's not bad, but it is what Cal was having him do, so I fail to see the misuse.
      Cal hid skal for his own interest and tried to give ppl just enough to see the potential. He knew he would work out great and climb the draft board if he didn't hurt his stock too bad with poor outing after poor outing. It seemed obvious at the time that he was doing that by sitting him and taking blame. Genius move by cal and players first move for sure. Marcus had a golden opportunity and cal wasn't gonna hide him as a junior and Marcus just flat out blew it even after having a solid start to the year. The guy was just extremely limited and will never be a pro basketball player which is why he should have stayed and graduated and chased a title off the bench then go through the same process post college one year earlier to end up in the D league or overseas.
      uklandrn -
      I don't understand why he is leaving if he has to sit out a year. Why not stay at UK and redshirt. Get your degree in one semester and then get a master's while improving and then play your senior year or try out for the draft again. Or is this totally just out of the question?
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      Cal hid skal for his own interest and tried to give ppl just enough to see the potential. He knew he would work out great and climb the draft board if he didn't hurt his stock too bad with poor outing after poor outing. It seemed obvious at the time that he was doing that by sitting him and taking blame. Genius move by cal and players first move for sure. Marcus had a golden opportunity and cal wasn't gonna hide him as a junior and Marcus just flat out blew it even after having a solid start to the year. The guy was just extremely limited and will never be a pro basketball player which is why he should have stayed and graduated and chased a title off the bench then go through the same process post college one year earlier to end up in the D league or overseas.
      Agreed. I think Cal put all the "I tried to make him Towns" on him to protect Skal. Yes he tried to get Skal to defend the post, but that's something he should have been working on with him, and even some basic post moves, but it wasn't like he was with Towns. He still had him on a lot of pick and pops.

The problem was while he could shoot he came in with no idea how to space in the offense, couldn't rebound, etc. He is green as a gourd. Good kid, but way green.

And yes that gave Lee a huge opportunity, and in several games he really stepped up, but in just as many he didn't bring the intensity that has to define his game. He's an energy guy, that's his main game.

IMO he needed to finish here and set his sights on playing overseas. Do 5-8 years there and make a nice nest egg hopefully, then move on to the next thing.
      bigsky -
      We all try to find rational explanations. But sometimes it is just emotion.
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
      We all try to find rational explanations. But sometimes it is just emotion.
      Yep.
  • KSR Twitter Feed