Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Lee Transferring

Lee Plans to Withdraw from NBA Draft, Transfer from UK
    Lee finishes his Kentucky career 20th on the all-time blocked shots list

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky men’s basketball junior forward Marcus Lee will remove his name from the 2016 NBA Draft but plans to transfer to complete his collegiate eligibility at another school.

Upon completing his paperwork to withdraw from the draft, Lee will be granted a full release with no restrictions.

“Marcus Lee informed us today that he is pulling his name out of the draft but has decided he is going to transfer to a school out west to be closer to his family,” head coach John Calipari said. “We talked it through together and discussed the team next season, which he said had no bearing on his decision. I also told him he was a semester away from graduating. With that said, he was still adamant that, after the combine experience, a year off and regrouping would be the best thing. As always I support my players and their decisions.”

Lee enjoyed the best season of his Kentucky career during his junior campaign where he boasted career highs in points per game (6.4), rebounds per game (6.0), total blocks (59) and total assists (11). He shot a team-best 68.0 percent from the floor, the best single-season field-goal percentage in school history with a minimum of 150 attempts. His 216 total rebounds were the most on the team, and he led the team in blocked shots in a team-high 18 games.

“I want to thank the University of Kentucky, the basketball staff and the Big Blue Nation for supporting me over the years,” Lee said. “I’m sorry it took me so long to come to this decision, but I’m trying to do what’s right for me and my family. I’ll always think fondly of my time at Kentucky.”

Lee ranks 20th all-time with 100 career blocked shots. He averaged 3.9 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.0 blocked shots in 100 career games at Kentucky.

A two-time Southeastern Conference Community Service Team member, Lee recently concluded participation in the 2016 NCAA Leadership Forum where he was the SEC’s male representative at the weekend-long conference.
    Comments 48 Comments
      UKHistory -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      So the "smart" kid made the dumb decision and the "dumb" kid made the smart decision. Or so it would appear from an outsider. Major kudos to Briscoe and I wish lee the best. It may turn out to be the best for Marcus to finish school closer to home because there is no way the kid has a future in the nba, just not skilled enough. Would have been best to get his degree here and play overseas for a few years if think
      Marcus is very intelligent but I have seen nothing from Briscoe to indicate he is not smart. I don't get the comment.
      Philly Cat -
      Sad to see him go. Without a degree, he'd have to sit out a year if he transferred to a D-1 school, and he's ineligible at a junior college.

Thus, Division 2 or 3?

Just saying, my suggestion from long ago would work-- Cal Tech is a Division III school, and it would set him up nicely for later if he chose to pursue his interest in computer programming.
      Padukacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      Marcus is very intelligent but I have seen nothing from Briscoe to indicate he is not smart. I don't get the comment.
      Just the stigma of the typical one and done under cal was what I was referring to with Briscoe
      ukpumacat -
      This is super disappointing. I will say, to me, its not terribly surprising.

This isn't worth much but we sat next to Lee's family at the UCLA game last year. Huge group since they are from California. We talked to them quite a bit. Very nice group.
      But, they were not very complimentary of Cal at all. They were very frustrated with Lee's playing time and how he was being used. And they felt that Cal was giving Skal minutes he didn't deserve instead of to Lee (they were probably right).
      That was also the game Lee got hurt and mom went down to the locker room and came back steaming at Cal. Not sure why.
      bigsky -
      Cal is old school coach about injuries. That is valid knock.
      Padukacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
      This is super disappointing. I will say, to me, its not terribly surprising.

This isn't worth much but we sat next to Lee's family at the UCLA game last year. Huge group since they are from California. We talked to them quite a bit. Very nice group.
      But, they were not very complimentary of Cal at all. They were very frustrated with Lee's playing time and how he was being used. And they felt that Cal was giving Skal minutes he didn't deserve instead of to Lee (they were probably right).
      That was also the game Lee got hurt and mom went down to the locker room and came back steaming at Cal. Not sure why.
      With cal you don't get more than one year of preferential treatment after that you have to earn it back through performance because the train doesn't slow down for one guy you better catch up
      KSRBEvans -
      Up to the UCLA game Skal was averaging 12.9 ppg on 61% shooting. It later turned out to be fool's gold but at that point in the season he was performing.
      CitizenBBN -
      It seems apparent that Lee and family think he was being used incorrectly at least this year, maybe longer.

My question would be, how was he supposed to be used instead? Feed him the ball in the post? Let him drive the ball? Neither of those seem like a good idea. Was it on defense, where they wanted him not defending the bigs in the post?

He's a super athletic player, but just floating around going for jams on offensive rebounds isnt' enough. I'm just curious what their plan would be, where they thought he had a strength Cal wasn't using to full advantage.
      blueboss -
      Back to volleyball...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Jeeepcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      With cal you don't get more than one year of preferential treatment after that you have to earn it back through performance because the train doesn't slow down for one guy you better catch up
      That's about as well as I've seen this put - nice job
      blueboss -
      Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
      Its a head scratcher to me. The best youngs bigs in the NBA all UK guys, even Enes.

No with Briscoe back, I look for Cal to add another big. Not sure who but I think someone will pop up, or maybe reclassify. Remember in Cal's recent press conference he said if someone want to join the program in September as long as their all in he would welcome them. Perhaps I'm reaching but I have a hunch he had someone specific in mind, again JMO.
      Maybe Cals "all in comment" may be referring to Malik Newman??
      UKHistory -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      It seems apparent that Lee and family think he was being used incorrectly at least this year, maybe longer.

My question would be, how was he supposed to be used instead? Feed him the ball in the post? Let him drive the ball? Neither of those seem like a good idea. Was it on defense, where they wanted him not defending the bigs in the post?

He's a super athletic player, but just floating around going for jams on offensive rebounds isnt' enough. I'm just curious what their plan would be, where they thought he had a strength Cal wasn't using to full advantage.
      I question Cal's offensive philosophy. And I see how some guys the next year after they leave look much more fluid offensively. But I don't see Lee with the physique to play inside consistently and he doesn't shoot free throws well.

I would think the combine showed where Lee still needs to improve. That said, I like Marcus very much. And wish Lee the best.
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
      Interesting, Matt Jones predicted this in Feburary.
      He didn't exactly predict it. He just mentioned it as one of many possibilities when a caller asked whether Lee would be back next year. I remember that because Jones' comments sparked a discussion on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
      Up to the UCLA game Skal was averaging 12.9 ppg on 61% shooting. It later turned out to be fool's gold but at that point in the season he was performing.
      Yep. No reasonable basis upon which to disagree with Skal getting more PT at that point in the season.
      uk-4-the-win -
      Good for him. Best decision he could make. Although he burned bridges at UK and its possible that Cal didnt want him back after betraying him so many times to talk to Goodman.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by uk-4-the-win View Post
      Good for him. Best decision he could make. Although he burned bridges at UK and its possible that Cal didnt want him back after betraying him so many times to talk to Goodman.
      I think this is more right than not on both accounts.
      GhettoBird -
      Quote Originally Posted by uk-4-the-win View Post
      Sure does feel like he and his borther broke a limb out of the trust tree. You know it had to infuriate Cal to read Lee giving Goodman an interview.
      dan_bgblue -
      Back to volleyball...
      That may the best prognosis I have seen. Even though I have never seen him play volleyball, his future prospects as a professional athlete might be much better in that game.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      I question Cal's offensive philosophy. And I see how some guys the next year after they leave look much more fluid offensively. But I don't see Lee with the physique to play inside consistently and he doesn't shoot free throws well.

I would think the combine showed where Lee still needs to improve. That said, I like Marcus very much. And wish Lee the best.
      I question parts of it as well, but I don't see how any change in it would necessarily have highlighted Lee.

Yeah I get that Davis could shoot and we didn't let him shoot much, or that the 2015 team didn't highlight the shooters, but again what do we change that lets Lee shine?

he's a sub 50% free throw shooter and the rest of his shots aren't any better. He's one of the best off the ball dunkers i've seen, but he wasn't strong with the ball in the post or able to shoot away from the basket. So what do you change in the offense to help him?

You can only run so many lob dunk plays and even if we did that doesn't convince the pros to take him if that's all he does.

I really like the guy, he seems to be a fine person and he's put in time playing behind people for 3 years. I wish him well, but I think he's wrong, and more specifically his family is wrong, to think he's being "misused". He simply hasn't shown the skills to be used in some other way.
      Philly Cat -
      I think sometimes the complaint of "I wasn't utilized properly" is cover-up for "I wasn't good enough." I loved having Marcus at UK, but there is no set of facts based on his on-court performance that would have justified giving him any other offensive role than lob dunks. He was a sub-50% FT shooter for all 3 years here. Here's an idea: If you want to be utilized differently, fix THAT-- the one thing in college basketball that can be demonstrably improved with practice.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
      I think sometimes the complaint of "I wasn't utilized properly" is cover-up for "I wasn't good enough." I loved having Marcus at UK, but there is no set of facts based on his on-court performance that would have justified giving him any other offensive role than lob dunks. He was a sub-50% FT shooter for all 3 years here. Here's an idea: If you want to be utilized differently, fix THAT-- the one thing in college basketball that can be demonstrably improved with practice.
      This. I hate to be mean, but he wasn't utilized differently b/c there weren't any ways in which he was good enough to contribute otherwise.

Maybe play him at PF instead of center was the thinking, but that wasn't going to help his game much, esp. on offense. He simply didn't have much of an offensive game.
  • KSR Twitter Feed