Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Lee Transferring

Lee Plans to Withdraw from NBA Draft, Transfer from UK
    Lee finishes his Kentucky career 20th on the all-time blocked shots list

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky men’s basketball junior forward Marcus Lee will remove his name from the 2016 NBA Draft but plans to transfer to complete his collegiate eligibility at another school.

Upon completing his paperwork to withdraw from the draft, Lee will be granted a full release with no restrictions.

“Marcus Lee informed us today that he is pulling his name out of the draft but has decided he is going to transfer to a school out west to be closer to his family,” head coach John Calipari said. “We talked it through together and discussed the team next season, which he said had no bearing on his decision. I also told him he was a semester away from graduating. With that said, he was still adamant that, after the combine experience, a year off and regrouping would be the best thing. As always I support my players and their decisions.”

Lee enjoyed the best season of his Kentucky career during his junior campaign where he boasted career highs in points per game (6.4), rebounds per game (6.0), total blocks (59) and total assists (11). He shot a team-best 68.0 percent from the floor, the best single-season field-goal percentage in school history with a minimum of 150 attempts. His 216 total rebounds were the most on the team, and he led the team in blocked shots in a team-high 18 games.

“I want to thank the University of Kentucky, the basketball staff and the Big Blue Nation for supporting me over the years,” Lee said. “I’m sorry it took me so long to come to this decision, but I’m trying to do what’s right for me and my family. I’ll always think fondly of my time at Kentucky.”

Lee ranks 20th all-time with 100 career blocked shots. He averaged 3.9 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.0 blocked shots in 100 career games at Kentucky.

A two-time Southeastern Conference Community Service Team member, Lee recently concluded participation in the 2016 NCAA Leadership Forum where he was the SEC’s male representative at the weekend-long conference.
    Comments 48 Comments
      Darryl -
      Withdrew from draft but will leave UK.

Darryl
      Doc -
      Per Goodman, who was seen celebrating

link
      badrose -
      Probably best for him. I hate it but minutes would probably be scarce.
      Doc -
      Here is the UK announcement
      GhettoBird -
      Apparently fences were not able to be mended. I think the interview with Goodman was a big sign that Lee and his family had chose to balze their own path. However, I wholeheartedly believe Cal pulled some strings to get him invited to the combine. JMO.
      Hoss -
      oh boy...
      GhettoBird -
      Interesting, Matt Jones predicted this in Feburary.
      Jeeepcat -
      This makes me sad. I know the program didn't fail him, but I hate losing a kid like this who did so much for the community.
      KSRBEvans -
      Kyle Tucker

@KyleTucker_CJ

Lee's brother Bryan told me earlier this spring the one thing he wouldn't do was transfer. Scratch that.

12:10 PM - 25 May 2016

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyleTucke...9941679106?p=v
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
      Apparently fences were not able to be mended. I think the interview with Goodman was a big sign that Lee and his family had chose to balze their own path. However, I wholeheartedly believe Cal pulled some strings to get him invited to the combine. JMO.
      Yup.
      kingcat -
      Bad news. That's two big men to scorn us in the last week...one who even played here.

It's a three guard line up again.
      GhettoBird -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeeepcat View Post
      This makes me sad. I know the program didn't fail him, but I hate losing a kid like this who did so much for the community.
      I am sad also. By all accounts Lee was a terrific person. Much like Noel before him he would just randomly show up at the Childrens Hospital to brighten some kids days. Really going to miss him, and while his minutes may have been few, I think he would have been valuable to the team next year.

I also believe family played a big role in all of this.
      UKHistory -
      Lee is a semester shy of graduating and is going to leave? What a shame. I wish Marcus the best but do think he would be a good help to us. Interviewing with Goodman could not have helped Marcus.
      Hoss -
      Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
      Kyle Tucker

@KyleTucker_CJ

Lee's brother Bryan told me earlier this spring the one thing he wouldn't do was transfer. Scratch that.

12:10 PM - 25 May 2016

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyleTucke...9941679106?p=v
      I remember that!!!

What a bunch of garbage!
      GhettoBird -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      Bad news. That's two big men to scorn us in the last week...one who even played here.
      Its a head scratcher to me. The best youngs bigs in the NBA all UK guys, even Enes.

No with Briscoe back, I look for Cal to add another big. Not sure who but I think someone will pop up, or maybe reclassify. Remember in Cal's recent press conference he said if someone want to join the program in September as long as their all in he would welcome them. Perhaps I'm reaching but I have a hunch he had someone specific in mind, again JMO.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post

It's a three guard line up again.
      Was a three guard lineup before Lee left, too. Let's not kid ourselves. We have too many 4's. He would have been a valued inclusion, but it doesn't change the makeup of the team.

I'm still trying to figure out how the minutes are going to be divided. Willis, Gabriel, Killeya-Jones, Adebayo for the 4 & 5? Forget Humphries; I just don't see him playing even as much as last year.
      WoodstockCat -
      Great young man. Sorry to see him leaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      bigsky -
      Best of luck to him. It is a mistake but--his to make. I wonder if he was close to Poythress or others gone and didnt see teammates to come back to?

And Cal is harsh and UK/Cal NBA boot camp would be tough 4 years. Poythress is a full grown man to have taken that.
      Padukacat -
      So the "smart" kid made the dumb decision and the "dumb" kid made the smart decision. Or so it would appear from an outsider. Major kudos to Briscoe and I wish lee the best. It may turn out to be the best for Marcus to finish school closer to home because there is no way the kid has a future in the nba, just not skilled enough. Would have been best to get his degree here and play overseas for a few years if think
      Carolinawildcats -
      Really don't understand this decision. I hate it for him...I really do. Maybe we have a shot at Allen

Peace

Richard (CW)
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post