Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Willis "personality plus" behind closed doors

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Keely Potts insists that Kentucky senior Derek Willis has a lot more personality than fans or media members see when he's being interviewed.

"He has a personality but you don't really see it. Behind closed doors he won't shut up," said Potts, Willis' girlfriend.

Certainly not when they have their "boxing" matches.

"We hit a punching bag at boxing and then have Soc-em boxers. It gets a little crazy. I feel like I am playing with my dad when I was little. It's like going back in time. It's not a legit fight, but we both get into it pretty good," Potts said.

They have even shot basketball together.

"I am terrible. So bad. Probably boosts him up. He's a lot better than me. I just help his confidence and make him think he's even better," Potts laughed and said.

She knows he's a superb card player. He was a nationally ranked Yu-Gi-Oh player. That's a Japanese collectible card game based on the fictional game of Duel Monsters.

"I feel like he can read things. The first two years at UK, if you go back and watch you will see him on the sidelines and he knows everything that is going on and what is really going to happen. He really knows his basketball just like he does his cards," Potts said.

His diversity does not stop there.

"Even with rock, paper, scissors and stuff like that, he likes it all," she said.

Potts recalled a beach vacation trip where her great aunt and uncle went to a Pilates class and her and Willis went also.

"He went on opposite side of me and got so into this class. It was a lot of older women and it was like this white-haired woman was bending like crazy and Derek was getting so frustrated because she was so flexible compared to him," Potts said.

"He kept asking how this woman could do all this and he couldn't. He kept trying and stayed after a little bit and worked on it. He puts his heart into everything he does."
    Comments 8 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      He kept trying and stayed after a little bit and worked on it. He puts his heart into everything he does."
      Interesting quote, especially if one remembers a few particular quotes from Willis during last season. I hope his heart, mind, and body are all into basketball going forward
      Philly Cat -
      She tweeted today that she & Derek were getting married today, and he re-tweeted it:

Dwill Retweeted
      k e e l y. ‏@kee_potts May 22
      It's official.... We're getting married today!!!! @derek_willis33 ��

Just messing around or real? It would be interesting-- I don't recall a UK player being married while he played at UK, and I think Rupp forbade the practice.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
      She tweeted today that she & Derek were getting married today, and he re-tweeted it:

Dwill Retweeted
      k e e l y. ‏@kee_potts May 22
      It's official.... We're getting married today!!!! @derek_willis33 ��

Just messing around or real? It would be interesting-- I don't recall a UK player being married while he played at UK, and I think Rupp forbade the practice.
      LOL, that is RIDICULOUS, meaning the Rupp policy. How do you tell a grown person they can't get married for cryin' out loud?

As for Derek, LOVE that he is a unique kid, intelligent, and funny. Great day for him. Bet he comes back better than ever and that the marriage HELPS rather than hurts him and the team.
      DanISSELisdaman -
      I think in finally sank in on Derek last year that he could have a career in BB if he would get serious about it. I think we will see him come back stronger and quicker this year. I he can improve his D, he may just fool a lot of people with his draft spot. Shooters his size don't happen every day and he has a really quick release.
      PedroDaGr8 -
      Willis has been one of my favorite players on the teams. His personality is so starkly non-traditional it resonates with me. Those are often the kind of people I get the most enjoyment from hanging out with and tend to blend with the most. Maybe it is being in science that I meet a lot of these types of characters but they always make life interesting.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
      LOL, that is RIDICULOUS, meaning the Rupp policy. How do you tell a grown person they can't get married for cryin' out loud?

As for Derek, LOVE that he is a unique kid, intelligent, and funny. Great day for him. Bet he comes back better than ever and that the marriage HELPS rather than hurts him and the team.
      Things were a lot different then.
      Jeeepcat -
      Parts of him (good, quirky, intelligent parts) read like Rajon
      Philly Cat -
      I sure would like to hear about his off-season conditioning and practice regimen.

It's just me, but I've had enough of his quirky personality in news reports and would like to hear the more practical side of things: what is he doing to get better?

If nothing, then someone needs to light a fire under him... yet again.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post