Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Old 'Yeahbut' Makes a Stop by Visit to UK Football

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Will the Cats get back to the days of celebrating Music City Bowl wins, as Coach Brooks did here in 2007?

As previously alluded to, there are fans that find a positive twist in all things UK Football. And there are fans and some media alike that find the negative twist in all things UK football. At the water cooler we refer to those phenomena as 'Opto' (optimistic) and 'Yeahbut' (pessimistic).

Opto: In gauging their strength many Kentucky fans say U of L can't be that good because they play in the Big East and we play in the SEC.
    Yeahbut: When Calipari coached Memphis to the top they said he he played in Conference USA. But they were the best in Conference USA and very good in the big dance. Fans, players and coaches alike need to come to grips that Louisville is the best in the Big East and pretty darn good in any league. Teddy Bridgewater will be one of the top two or three UK quarterbacks we will see this season.

Opto: I don't know what happened to our defensive line in the game because they are suppossed to be the strength of the team.
    Yeahbut: I don't care what the coaches say. When is the last time we stopped the run consistently?

Opto: I could've sworn that under Joker Phillips we would continue to climb the ladder and become viable in the SEC.
    Yeahbut: I don't think you are being realistic because when you look back at 2008 and 2009 recruiting classes, it wasn't very good and even many of the best of those classes didn't work out or are no longer with the team.

Opto: That's alright, we have a chance to get it right by destroying Kent State.
    Yeahbut: Well hoop-ti-doo! Big deal destroying a bad Kent State team.After four or five years we know what we have in the seniors. We need to forget about the final score and concentrate on the youngsters we've heard so much about. Get them ready because to avoid what could be a bad year and job threatening for Joker Phillips, they will need them in SEC play.

Opto: We'll be okay for the next two games, for sure no matter who we put on the field.
    Yeahbut: You must not know a whole lot about Western Kentucky University's team and their roster. They are picked to win the Sunbelt Conference Championship. Any team picked to win their conference championship can't be overlooked if UK's run defense doesn't improve. In Bowling Green, forget about the first two opponents, in remembrance of last year all they are talking about is UK.

Opto: I still think Mister Cobble and Donte' Rumph are as good as Cory Peters and Myron Prior so we will stop the run better henceforth. They say the greatest improvement in the team is from the first game to the second game.
    Yeahbut: Looked like the greatest improvement came after a sideline tongue-lashing of the d-linemen from Rock Oliver five minutes before halftime. Mister Cobble went back out on the field and had three straight outstanding plays and that was the only defensive spark I saw all first half. Perhaps the entire team went into the game with a disrespect for the Cardinals because rookie Fred Tiller said maybe we didn't respect how good they were. Sounds like the entire team could have made that mistake.

Opto: I think Joker Phillips needs to be given plenty of time to build his team.
    Yeahbut: In the twentieth-century world of big time college football, coaches were given more time to get the job done. But in the twenty-first century football world high-cost dictate those changes - higher K-Fund, higher ticket prices, sky-rocketing parking prices, and concession prices.

Opto: I thought there were a lot of positives that we could take from this game like Daryl Collins, Max Smith, rushing yards per-carry-average, and the offensive line.
    Yeahbut: I didn't hear you say anything about the defense. The last time we stopped the run the late John Goodner was here. Rick Minter said - "It's alarming that we are sitting here having this discussion, that we gave up so much and played so poorly."

PLAY THE YOUNG GUYS AGAINST KENT STATE. THERE'S NOTHING LIKE THE BENCH TO MOTIVATE.
    Comments 8 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Lonny, your humorous, yet real, writing style in matters like this reminds me of a litigation column written by Jim McElhaney for the ABA (American Bar Association) Journal, involving a hero, "Angus," the voice of wisdom and common sense on all aspects of trial work. The lawyers in the group will know him.

It's a compliment.
      anderwt -
      UK is going to lose one of these next two games....-7 point favorite over Kent St and if WKU can survive Bama......
      blue2ksr -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      UK is going to lose one of these next two games....-7 point favorite over Kent St and if WKU can survive Bama......

I'm wondering if Western will be healthy enough to field a team too....

anderwt -
      Quote Originally Posted by blue2ksr View Post
      I'm wondering if Western will be healthy enough to field a team too....

Thats been the concern from the folks I know in Bowling Green. Let you in on something with this WKU football team. Taggert and his wife just lost a newborn baby this past summer. This team is really playing for him and i have said many times, but they feel if they can survive this bama game without too many injuries, they can take UK down...They think UK will believe that without Rainey they have no chance...
      UKHistory -
      My sincere condolences to Taggert. I am sorry to hear about his loss. Professionally he is doing things right at Western. But yeah if the Cats lose this game, you might see a midseason switch.
      Darrell KSR -
      Hate to hear about Taggert.
      blue2ksr -
      Thats been the concern from the folks I know in Bowling Green. Let you in on something with this WKU football team. Taggert and his wife just lost a newborn baby this past summer.
      That is so very, very sad. I sure do hate that for them.
      jazyd -
      ander, didn't the baseball coach and his wife also have problems with a child or was that another school.

If I was the coach against Ala, many of my younger players would get lots of plays, no way would I sacrifice my starters the whole game. He has the whole season in front of him.

I can't imagine losing a newborn, it would rock my soul.

Thats been the concern from the folks I know in Bowling Green. Let you in on something with this WKU football team. Taggert and his wife just lost a newborn baby this past summer. This team is really playing for him and i have said many times, but they feel if they can survive this bama game without too many injuries, they can take UK down...They think UK will believe that without Rainey they have no chance...
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post