Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Loss of Ed Davender hits hard

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Ed Davender was never a guy that gave up easily. He was one of the toughest players both physical and mentally I have watched during my 41 years covering Kentucky basketball.

I always liked him -- and he always liked me. He never quit calling me "Mr. Vaught" and even during some troubled times in his life in recent years we still talked some and I stayed fond of him.

That's why the news this week that he suffered a major heart attack and then died Thursday night at age 49 hit me so hard. Ed had some problems, but he was a good guy and one who teammates always loved.

He was recruited to Kentucky from Brooklyn by Joe B. Hall. He played one year for Hall and then three years for Eddie Sutton.

He never quite got the overall recognition he deserved. He was overshadowed early by Kenny Walker. Another teammate was Rex Chapman, one of the all-time favorite Cats.
    Davender was potent on both ends of the floor. He scored 1,637 points and had 436 assists and 191 steals. No other UK player has ever had 1,500 or more points and 400 or more assists.

He's still the No. 11 all-time scorer at Kentucky and ranks fourth in steals and eighth in assists. He could well be the best defensive guard I have seen play at Kentucky.

Washington made him a third round pick in the 1988 NBA draft but a heart murmur contributed to him not playing professional basketball. He returned to Kentucky to live and work. However, he was convicted of a ticket scam.

Recently he had seemed to be moving back the right direction and had worked for Lexington’s Parks and Recreation Department.

It had been about three months since I talked to him briefly. I regret I'll never get to chat with him again and that I probably never told him how much I respected him as a player but even more so for doing all he could to get his life back together.
    Comments 9 Comments
      Doc -
      I'm not sure why there is the perception that he is overlook or under appreciated. I personally don't see that at all. He will always be remembered by me as a truly great UK player.
      UKHistory -
      The more people talk about Jim under appreciate Ed will gain the larger recognition that a lot of fans will have for him

Wonderful guard who played hard all the time

And historicalally one of the best four year guards at Kentucky
      KMSBball -
      Davender and Chapman formed one of the best bavckcourts in KY history. He didn't get the media recognition that players like Kenny Walker, Rex & Winston Bennett did but he was a big key to his team's success.
      bigsky -
      Syracuse game where he dueled their AA point guard still on a vhs tape somewhere in the crawlspace. He had 20+ and a great game, and we were under manned because Chapman? maybe had to serve a one game suspension for something.
      CatQuick -
      Bugeye was probably one of the best "two way" guards that have played at Kentucky. If Mr. Vaught speaks that well of him, it says a lot.
      Padukacat -
      I was at my prime age for being in awe of players so he was one that I loved as a kid.
      bigsky -
      http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/sta...8Syracuse.html Okay he only had 17. Chapman sat this game out due to some infraction, meaning he will have gotten a longer suspension than U*NC will get for 18 years of fake classes
      UKHistory -
      Chapman sata due to injury
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
      http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/sta...8Syracuse.html Okay he only had 17. Chapman sat this game out due to some infraction, meaning he will have gotten a longer suspension than U*NC will get for 18 years of fake classes
      IIRC Bogans missed half a game once due to being late to a meeting. That will end up being harder than UNC is hit as well. lol.

It's all so absurd it's surreal. I feel like I'm in a Samuel Beckett play, Waiting for NCAA Justice. I think I'll be waiting longer than Vladimir and Estragon.
  • KSR Twitter Feed