Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Article: Who is next to have their jersey hanging in Rupp Arena?

BY: Tyler Adkins

The University of Kentucky basketball team has retired 42 jerseys since the inception of the basketball program, but has not retired a player or a coach from the past 15 years. The last person to have his jersey retired was Rick Pitino, who coached until 1997. The last player to have the honor was Jamal Mashburn, who finished playing after the 1993 season. In recent years a player having his jersey retired in Rupp Arena has proved to be elusive, but that may be about to change.

There have been 2 national championships and 4 final four’s since the last time a player had his jersey retired. There have been NBA Champions, NBA All-Stars, Olympic Gold Medalists, the school’s first collegiate player of the year and the school’s first number one overall selection in the draft. It is time to get the ball rolling again and UK has a set selection process.

In order to have a player’s jersey retired, the player must first be in the UK Athletics Association Hall of Fame. After inclusion into the Hall of Fame, nominees will be sent to the Retired Jersey Subcommittee. The subcommittee must accept the player’s nomination with a vote of 7 of the 8 members in favor of retirement. Players must wait five years after completion of their college career for acceptance into the Hall of Fame and ten years in order to have their jersey retired. Coaches must be gone from UK for five years in order for both the Hall of Fame and to have their jersey retired.

With John Calipari’s recent string of great players who have left for the NBA after their first or second season, the question of whether the “one and done” players should be eligible for the honor of having their jersey retired at Rupp Arena has been asked repeatedly. I asked UK Executive Associate Athletics Director DeWayne Peevy if there were any impediments that would keep a one and done player from having their jersey retired, he responded “No, For example, Leroy Edwards who will be inducted this fall played only one season as a sophomore.” UK’s stance on this is clear, a player who only plays one season will be eligible to have their jersey retired after 10 years.

Any player who played at least one season on the basketball team is eligible for the Hall of Fame and thereafter to have their jersey retired, so the question remains about whom UK should now retire. They have to have been out of UK for at least 10 years in order to have their jersey retired, so we are looking now at players who last played in the 2001-2002 season.

The first player that comes to mind for me is former UK great Tayshaun Prince. Prince was a two-time All American, SEC player of the year, 8th on UK’s all time scoring list, NBA Champion and Olympic Gold Medalist. Tayshaun was inducted into the UKAA Hall of Fame in 2010 and this year he will have been gone from UK for 10 years. Prince has continued to be around the UK program and always seems to be available when Calipari asks for help in providing guidance for his young players. His Hall of Fame induction speech, for which I was fortunate enough to be in attendance, was one of the few times I have seen Prince’s emotions shine through about UK. He talked about how hard it was coming to Lexington from Compton, but how happy he is about the decision he made to play at UK. It showed how much he loved UK and his time here.

I would also retire the jersey of a former coach who, as of this year, will be eligible to be retired: Orlando “Tubby” Smith. Smith was the head coach for 10 seasons and had a winning percentage of 76%, won 263 games, went to 3 Elite Eights, 1 Final Four and won 1 National Championship. Smith did taper off during the end of his tenure and never got back to the Final Four after his first season, but he was the first African-American head coach of the basketball team which has a significance beyond anything he could have ever done on the court as a coach. He was also a great ambassador for the program and the university, which cannot be understated. He is also one of only five coaches at UK to win a National Championship. The only issue would be one of timing since he is still the coach at Minnesota, but as soon as that is not an issue, he should be in the rafters.

Those are the two jerseys’ I would retire this upcoming season and I think they are more than deserved. It seems like the time is right for UK to once again retire a jersey, will it be this year? Time will tell.

So if you are UK, who do you retire knowing the criteria and wait-period?

You can follow me on Twitter: @tyleradkinsKSR1
    Comments 15 Comments
      UKHistory -
      Sounds like Rick Pitino snake bit the process.

I don't like all the red tape involved in getting a jersey retired. Other than a waiting period, I am all for retiring more without too many hurdles to pass.

One criteria I belive is worthy of getting a jersey hung is being named MVP for the Final Four. Maybe SEC Player of the Year too.

With the one and done being a part of college basketball and Kentucky's team for the immediate future, I think UK needs to rethink how to recognize guys who stay for a short period of time but make a huge impact while on campus.
      blue2ksr -
      Is Kenny Walker's hanging in Rupp?

I can't remember!
      tyleradkins -
      Yes he does. You can go to this link to see all of the retired jerseys.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...ed_jerseys.pdf
      blue2ksr -
      Quote Originally Posted by tyleradkins View Post
      Yes he does. You can go to this link to see all of the retired jerseys.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...ed_jerseys.pdf
      Thanks! That's a neat link.

I'll have to think about this one a bit!

I know one I would like to take down.
      Darrell KSR -
      Very good article, Tyler.

I am with you on both selections. Frankly, I had not given much thought to the significance of Tubby Smith being the school's first African-American head basketball coach. I do think that has historical significance, especially given the criticisms often lobbed at the University of Kentucky.

Very thought-provoking.
      tyleradkins -
      Thanks Darrell, I feel like we almost take it for granted now but it was a huge deal when he was hired. Plus I think winning a national championship as a coach should qualify you regardless of anything else.
      Krank -
      Tony Delk and Tayshaun Prince should be cases 1 and 1A in my view. Keith Bogans should be next. I would then go with Jodie Meeks. IMO, there is a big drop off after that, although I am sure someone will swoop in and remind me of someone obvious who is actually a candidate.

Tubby is a given, IMO, but I like the idea of waiting a little on him and, say... who exactly?

Wayne Turner good enough? That '98 team is not an easy one to choose from if you are talking elite status players, meaning ALL TIME Kentucky performers and I LOVE Sheppard, Padgett, Mohammed, Magloire... what a FUN team they were to watch.

How about guys like McCarty, Patrick Patterson, Derek Anderson, Chuck Hayes, and Gerald Fitch? Did they do enough? To me, they should make the Hall of Fame, but jersey retired? I have to think about a lot of these guys, even with my tendency to be more inclusive when it comes to these honors.

I disagree with any notion of automatically including Final Four MVP's or SEC Tournament MVP's just because it unfairly penalizes a player with a great career who is not fortunate enough to be on a greater team and it also could artificially inflate a player who had a great tourney run who had an average to good career. There are too many great ones whose teams OR an untimely injury steals the chance away from them to BE in a Final Four or win a conference title.

JMO FWIW.
      blue2ksr -
      Mike Pratt
      Darrell KSR -
      Ooh, I love the Tony Delk selection. I might go with Wayne Turner next, though. Doesn't he have the distinction of being the guy who has played more NCAA games than any other Wildcat?
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Ooh, I love the Tony Delk selection. I might go with Wayne Turner next, though. Doesn't he have the distinction of being the guy who has played more NCAA games than any other Wildcat?
      Did Darius pass Wayne or am I thinking of some other cumulative stat for Mr. Miller?

I like Wayne's numbers and a hell of a lot else about him, not the least of which is consideration for an all-time defensive team at UK, but I guess I am trying to consider "all around play" and stats as much as possible. It's hard to know how to balance certain achievements. That wondering makes it interesting to analyze guys like Hayes too in my book.

I really like Bogans. 4th all time scorer, had one of the great Senior years (and still, my gut tells me, gets dissed for his flirting with the league before his sub-par Junior year) in UK history until his (and that great team's) season-ending injury, and became one of many great defensive players at UK. He is, IMO, a very balanced example of scoring in so many different ways while being a beast guarding his man.

Does Meeks' 54 get him up there? THAT is one I want to know about, but I did just realize that he is not eligible yet. Got ahead of myself there, LOL.
      Darrell KSR -
      Ooh, Darius may have, I don't know. I told you on the other thread I couldn't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.
      LarryVaught1 -
      Delk, Pratt, Tayshaun and tubby. all worthy folks. have to put tubby up eventually. he did win a national title
      tyleradkins -
      I really like the Delk selection and I am like Krank in that I seem to be very inclusive about these honors. I think retired jersey's should be only the very elite who accomplished feats that set them ahead of everyone else. That is why when the time comes, I think Wall and Davis should both be retired. Wall because he was the first #1 overall selection in program history which is still amazing to me, and Davis because he is the first UK player to be named consensus Player of the Year. It would take another incredible feat for me to consider another one and done though.
      jazyd -
      Pratt, Prince, Tubby should all be in. I would like to see Turner in and in ten years I want to see Darius in for all the crap he put up with from bCG, and then being such a huge reason for #8. PP in for the same reason, he stuck it out after a bad two years and flourished under Cal, plus he graduated in 3 years which is amazing. Also would love to see Bogans in, love the guy and always did. The quotes against UK by Delk in regards to his nephews leaves me not wanting him in, he wasn't always all UK imo. Epps may not have the numbers but gosh would we have won #6 w/o him.
      ukpumacat -
      Maybe I am just too tough with this stuff, but I think the standard for retiring a jersey has to be very high. And for me, I don't think hardly anyone mentioned above deserves to be retired. I LOVE Tony Delk. He is one of my all-time favorite Cats. But, I just don't see it. Same for Prince. Same for Bogans. Were they good-great players for UK? Yes. Are they worthy of having their jersey's retired? I don't think so.
      I think Tubby deserves it, and should be an easy in.
  • KSR Twitter Feed