Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Vaught's Thoughts on Kentucky Blue-White Game

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky's Blue-White Game Saturday gave fans their final chance to see Mark Stoops' fourth UK team until the season opens in September.

The biggest takeaway from the game is that Stoops said Drew Barker came out of spring as the No. 1 quarterback. He was 12 of 18 passing for 156 yards and two scores with one interception Saturday.

"Drew has been consistent the whole spring. He needs to stay consistent with his approach in way he is handling everything on and off the field," Stoops said.

Then he said Barker was the starting quarterback coming out of spring practice.

Here are a few takeaways from my observation point:

— Linebacker Denzil Ware could be the big playmaker the defense needs. He had three sacks and nine tackles by midway of the second quarter. His tenacity and instincts were impressive to watch. He finished with 15 tackles, four sacks and 4.5 tackles for loss.

"Denzil really had some good rushes. That is what you like to see when you are in predictable passing plays and are playing straight up. You need to win one on one battles and he won several," Stoops said.

— Quarterback Stephen Johnson is going to continue to push Barker for the starting spot and UK offensive coordinator Eddie Gran may have to revise his thinking on not wanting to play two quarterbacks. Johnson showed off all his speed and elusiveness and is exactly the type of quarterback UK's defense has had trouble stopping for years. He ran for 49 yards but was just 4-for-11 passing for 36 yards.

"Stephen has done a good job from when he got here until now. The competition starts again in the fall," quarterback coach Darrin Hinshaw said. "I would like him at about 195 pounds when season starts. He is about 184 now. He has gained the right kind of muscle. You can see shoulders getting stronger. He is long so the muscular part of his arms won't just beef up over night. But I am proud of him."

— Sophomore running back Sihiem King drew praise from Stoops all spring and it was easy to see why. He's small, but tough. He always falls forward and has an explosive, quick burst. He ran for 84 yards and one score on nine carries and could be just what Stoops and Gran need to help keep sophomore Boom Williams more focused on the field this season.

"What I really like is he has good vision. We know he has ability in the open field with space. His vision on the inside runs was really good to see," Stoops said.

— Linebacker Jordan Jones is UK's energy guy on defense and played like that again. He had eight tackles, including one tackle for loss. "Jordan has been playing like that every day. Great energy, Great passion. Really has very good instincts for a guy that has not played that much. Really explosive," Stoops said.

— Tight end C.J. Conrad made a solid 19-yard touchdown catch with contact to end a 10-p lay, 75-yard drive during the two-minute drill to end the first half. Stoops liked what he saw from Conrad, who had three catches for 29 yards.
    "That was very big (the touchdown catch). It was also nice to see him on a simple bootleg early (catch the ball) and he's had few drops on those. To see routine plays made and then big play in end zone in traffic was big," Stoops said.

— Sophomore cornerback Chris Westry continues to be a shutdown defender and had two pass breakups. Stoops said even Saturday when the ball was thrown on his side of the field, he expected it to be incomplete.
    "He just needs to continue to work. He is such a big guy and so long. He has to constantly work his fundamentals. In game-like situations, we had to stay on him and push him because he has to fundamentally play good to be at an elite level. He takes hard coaching. But he still has to have a great summer," Stoops said.

— Freshman quarterback Gunnar Hoak showed a strong arm and also excellent decision making most of the time. His best play was a rollout where he stopped, waited and hit Jeff Badet for a score. He was 4-for-5 passing for 57 yards and the score on his first series. Hinshaw said he liked what he saw and no decision on Hoak -- or any player -- redshirting would be made until after the season started.

— Kentucky had three Rivals.com top 100 recruits — Lafayette offensive lineman Jedrick Wills, North Carolina linebacker Justin Foster and Ohio receiver JaVonte Richardson, a UK commit in the 2017 class. Belfry lineman Austin Dotson, another 2017 commit, was also on the field before the game along with Alex King and Walker Wood, the quarterback at Lafayette.

Kentucky signee Landon Young, another Lafayette player, was also at the game and gave Stoops a big hug before the game. He also found time to sign autographs and take pictures with UK fans.
    Comments 12 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      Not one comment on the Defensive line. I wonder if Dan caught that.
      Terry Blue -
      Freddie just said the DL was biggest concern as I did. He said the play of the lbs impressed him and no longer as worried there. Said we needed a third OT to go with Mosier and Meadows
      Maybe Young, Sreinberg, or I m proved Tate Levitt. Think we,re getting ax visit next weekend from a grad transfer DT
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Freddie just said the DL was biggest concern as I did. He said the play of the lbs impressed him and no longer as worried there. Said we needed a third OT to go with Mosier and Meadows
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Maybe Young, Sreinberg, or I m proved Tate Levitt. Think we,re getting ax visit next weekend from a grad transfer DT
      Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjouy the play. There is absolutely no reason after 4 years of recruiting we don't have guys who can start on the DLine. Absolutely no reason. No talent. No depth.
      Jeeepcat -
      I am watching now while I work and really like Hoak.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Not one comment on the Defensive line. I wonder if Dan caught that.
      Yes sir I did. Pretty tough to mention individuals or even the D line as a group when reporting on positives. No offense to Larry V at all as he can only report what the coaches say, and it seems as if they were busy pumping sunshine.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Yes sir I did. Pretty tough to mention individuals or even the D line as a group when reporting on positives. No offense to Larry V at all as he can only report what the coaches say, and it seems as if they were busy pumping sunshine.
      LOL!
      Terry Blue -
      Coaches mentioned need for a third OT to emerge and I believe Elliott said we need for our Dline to continue to develope
      CatQuick -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      [B]
      Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjouy the play. There is absolutely no reason after 4 years of recruiting we don't have guys who can start on the DLine. Absolutely no reason. No talent. No depth.
      Agree that the state of the defensive line will be the Achilles heel all year and it frustrates me given the talent behind the line. There has been a bit of bad luck here also, as Elam hasn't performed to 5 star level and Hatcher, Lloyd Tubman departures have created a big hole where recruiting isn't the issue.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by CatQuick View Post
      Agree that the state of the defensive line will be the Achilles heel all year and it frustrates me given the talent behind the line. There has been a bit of bad luck here also, as Elam hasn't performed to 5 star level and Hatcher, Lloyd Tubman departures have created a big hole where recruiting isn't the issue.
      You are spot on. Elam is such a puzzle. But I think back to some of ETs comments when we signed him. Those who saw him and those that knew his coaches voiced skepticism relative to his work ethic. I see little to convince me the skepticism isn't well placed.
      Terry Blue -
      Top DL is the toughest position to recruit to, have heard that many many tes
      dan_bgblue -
      I disagree with what you have heard. The Oline is more difficult and in my opinion it is more difficult by far
      Terry Blue -
      Not true, DL overall has to be much more athletic than OL. DL that are found to not cut it are often moved to OL, seldom do you see it the other way around
  • KSR Twitter Feed