Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Matthew Mitchell on his daughter, Pitino house, Big Blue Madness

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Question: What prompted you to bring your infant daughter to photo day and do the players always embrace here like they did that day?

Mitchell: “They are really, really sweet to her. We had that professional cameraman there, so I am always looking for ways to save money. It was really so we could get free pictures of high quality, not just i-Phone. I wanted professional photos of her. But in all seriousness, we are trying to make sure that recruits know that this is a program that embraces family. I want them to be part of our family and we are part of their family. My older daughter Lacey traveled last year. Jen is a big part of this. We want for girls to know we have a close-knit team. And the girls were not putting on for the camera. They are good for her and you could tell Saylor was loving every minute. It was a great day.”

Question: Did you ever anticipate buying a house would be a news story — and does that make you feel a bit John Calipari-like?

Mitchell: “I don’t know if that is a good or bad thing. I was amazed that it was as interesting as it was. I guess there was no way around it with coach (Rick) Pitino building the house when he was coaching at Kentucky. It’s very different now, totally remodeled. It is a great place for us. We really did it with the goal of getting closer to campus and church where Saylor will be going to school. That’s how we started looking in that area and it was just a perfect location for us. We are looking forward to living there for a bunch of years.”

Question: Are you working on something special for Big Blue Madness again to follow up on the dances you’ve done the last few years?

Mitchell: “It is going to be hard to top last year, but I am going to give it an effort. I really messed up. I don’t know where this thing will end up. At some point, I have got to say this is not happening any more. I just try to have fun. My moves, if that is what you want to call them ... well, we will have something again. The players get a big kick out of them. Last year our marketing people did an unbelievable job with the set for Big Blue Madness. Our players really enjoyed it, and so did I even though I basically embarrassed myself again.”
    Comments 3 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      He is really a gem Larry V. Thanks.

I sure hope UK has a solid plan in place to keep him for a long time.
      jazyd -
      DAn, I am pretty sure they do, they didn't pay him the kind of money they are w/o making sure they have him tied up for awhile. He is very well liked in his hometown, I can tell you that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      He is really a gem Larry V. Thanks.

I sure hope UK has a solid plan in place to keep him for a long time.
      imsoblue -
      I remember the time when I lived down the street from Sharon Fanning-Otis. I could never afford a house down from Coach Mitchell. Yes I believe UK has a solid plan. lol
  • KSR Twitter Feed