Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Cats banged up headed to South Carolina

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Freshman guard Jamal Murray missed practice Thursday because he "bumped knees" in Tuesday's win over Georgia, but Kentucky coach John Calipari said today he expects him to practice and play at South Carolina Saturday.

Calipari knows even with Murray that winning at South Carolina, or anywhere on the road, is difficult.

“I think you look around the country, everyone on the road is struggling. When you’re not a dominating team, it’s hard to win on the road. We’ve won games on the road where I was like, there’s no way we’re winning this game. We beat a team that’s 80-5 at home. We beat them," Calipari said.

"This is a little different setup. I’m anxious to see how we respond. Tennessee was a quick turn and I believe the Auburn game was a quick turn. We didn’t have much time and this we have a little more time. I like to see how we respond. This is a great test for us. They don’t lose many games there and they’re playing well.”

Senior forward Alex Poythress remains out with a knee injury and Calipari said junior guard is "80 percent" due to his ankle injury.

"We've won a couple big games and we've had a 12-point lead and a 21-point lead. And then stuff gets hairy and we're still learning how to win, how to put people away, how to stop the bleeding. You don't shoot a fadeaway. You don't shoot an up and under. You don't take the hardest play and turn it over to give 'em another basket," Calipari said.

"You make a play that either you make more than 50 percent of the time or you're gonna get fouled. And then you have to lock down defensively if you're not making baskets, because it becomes a game of they're gonna make a run, now make another back at them, push them back. They'll make another run, then push them back again.
    "Normally the team'll give up, especially when you have a 20-point lead. But we haven't – we don't have that mentality. We're beginning to get that mentality, but three weeks ago, absolutely did not. We were just playing, like, next play. Not realizing – and it's part of what we had to do as coaches is to get them to understand that.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      By: LARRY VAUGHT

Freshman guard Jamal Murray missed practice Thursday because he "bumped knees" in Tuesday's win over Georgia, but Kentucky coach John Calipari said today he expects him to practice and play at South Carolina Saturday.

Calipari knows even with Murray that winning at South Carolina, or anywhere on the road, is difficult.

“I think you look around the country, everyone on the road is struggling. When you’re not a dominating team, it’s hard to win on the road. We’ve won games on the road where I was like, there’s no way we’re winning this game. We beat a team that’s 80-5 at home. We beat them," Calipari said.

"This is a little different setup. I’m anxious to see how we respond. Tennessee was a quick turn and I believe the Auburn game was a quick turn. We didn’t have much time and this we have a little more time. I like to see how we respond. This is a great test for us. They don’t lose many games there and they’re playing well.”

Senior forward Alex Poythress remains out with a knee injury and Calipari said junior guard is "80 percent" due to his ankle injury.

"We've won a couple big games and we've had a 12-point lead and a 21-point lead. And then stuff gets hairy and we're still learning how to win, how to put people away, how to stop the bleeding. You don't shoot a fadeaway. You don't shoot an up and under. You don't take the hardest play and turn it over to give 'em another basket," Calipari said.

"You make a play that either you make more than 50 percent of the time or you're gonna get fouled. And then you have to lock down defensively if you're not making baskets, because it becomes a game of they're gonna make a run, now make another back at them, push them back. They'll make another run, then push them back again.
      "Normally the team'll give up, especially when you have a 20-point lead. But we haven't – we don't have that mentality. We're beginning to get that mentality, but three weeks ago, absolutely did not. We were just playing, like, next play. Not realizing – and it's part of what we had to do as coaches is to get them to understand that.”
      I think Larry left Hawkins' name out of the boldened sentence above. Reads oddly otherwise... not meaning to nitpick, just sayin'.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post