Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Defense key to Willis and Kentucky

By: LARRY VAUGHT

For a player known for his scoring and shooting, Derek Willis certainly understands the importance of defense if Kentucky wants to finish the season playing well.

“It was weird because we were playing so good defensively (earlier in the season) and maybe we started working on offense and doing a couple other things, different actions and just kinda got away from defense," Willis said after Tuesday's win over Georgia.

"We were playing alright offensively, and now we’re back into it again, doing defensive work I would say every bit of 45 (minutes) to an hour a day now. I mean, it’s just helped us. Tonight shows.”

Georgia actually missed 21 straight shots and went almost 18 minutes without a field goal.

"Sometimes teams come into Rupp and they just can’t – the goal is like that (small). Sometimes it’s huge and the guy goes for 40. It’s just how it is. Tonight, I think our defense – we’ve been focusing on – has just helped us. It just showed," Willis said after Tuesday's game.

He says while making shots can be contagious, so can good defense.

"I mean one guy starts bringing energy and it’s like it’s just going downhill, everybody else is going to come with it, and if you don’t then Coach is probably going to take you out because once you hit that level you don’t want it to stop. You want it to keep going and going. It’s just how it is," Willis said.

Willis knows his defense has improved as he has played more. He knows it also has to get even better, especially with Alex Poythress out again with a knee injury.

"I’m still not really where I want to be. I try not to be complacent. I’m still kind of disappointed. Last game (against Florida) I was especially disappointed with how I played. But it’s just things you work on day to day. I know I have the skill set and stuff, the tools to do it. It’ll happen," Willis said.

"We have improved on defense. I give credit to everyone on that, and the coaching staff, of course. Then again, Georgia is a team that has more turnovers than they do assists anyway so they were
    Comments 4 Comments
      Krank -
      Good stuff, Larry.

My fave bit was Derek talking about not being complacent or satisfied with where he is right now. He's hungry for more and clearly understands what he needs to do in terms of energy and role.

Man has it been fun to, not only see him produce and improve his game, but to see the joy he has in being a MUCH bigger part of UK's success than he has been before this season.
      DanISSELisdaman -
      He does seem to be enjoying himself out there now. I see Willis as being very important in the upcoming game with S.C. If he can start the game with a couple threes, it will open the court up for Ulis to get in the lane and do what he does best. It should also take some pressure off Murray, if they have to guard Willis closely too. Willis really needs to be a beast on the boards also. We will need some offensive rebounds and second chance points to have a chance to win this one. It would be great if we could keep S.C. from living on the line, but that's probably not gonna happen with the way road games have been called recently!
      Padukacat -
      Amazing what some confidence will do for your game...this is not the same Derek Willis we've seen..."it'll happen"
      catmanjack -
      Glad to see that Willis is hungry and not that he doing it for others.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post