Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Murray, Cats getting better

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Jamal Murray has been shooting so well that going 8-for-14 from the field in Tuesday's 82-48 victory over Georgia did not seem like a hot shooting night to him. He was also 6-for-10 from 3-point range.

So how did Murray play?

“Better. He’s getting better," Kentucky coach John Calipari said.

Then the UK coach made a statement that drew laughter in the media room but probably did not seem funny to others for obvious reasons.

"He had the one baseline flip, he could not help himself. It’s like crack cocaine; I’ve gotta do this. And he flipped it under, had no chance of making it. But he’s getting better," Calipari said.

I have to think given a do-over, Calipari would not compare a bad shot to "crack cocaine" knowing the nation's drug problem and how cocaine has caused heartache in so many families.

Calipari thought Murray, who had 35 points in Saturday's win over Florida, could have scored more.

"He had two 3's that he was casual on and I’m like, ‘Kid, you’re going to get two or three, four more baskets. Why would you not with five minutes to go, I was going to leave you in for another minute or two,'" Calipari said.

"But he’s trying. He’s getting better defensively."

Murray said he's finally hitting shots he should have been.

"I don’t really feel like I’m hot or anything. I’m just hitting timely baskets, hitting open shots that I should be making and just trying to get open," Murray said.

He said not consistently making shots earlier in the season did frustrated him.
    "I think that affected my game a little bit, just going so many games without hitting shots and knowing the team needs me to hit shots especially. Finally out of that slump, I hope, so just trying to keep my confidence up and keep my teammates involved because they’re energized, too," Murray said.
    Comments 17 Comments
      Krank -
      Great insight, Larry. Thanks for the article on Murray.

I think there is some excellent context there. I was also glad to hear Cal noting what has become obvious to me, which is that his D has improved enough to merit a mention.

I also was pleased to hear that he cares about his role as primary scorer and how his teammates expect that out of him. That is FAR from the needlessly judgmental notion that the kid's a "selfish ball-hog". Coach and team EXPECT Murray to play as he does as opposed to being like the average player.

Jamal ain't average. He's our ticket to the Promised Land. How 'bout we embrace him and his game and ENJOY his thrilling ability to dominate?
      DanISSELisdaman -
      Krank, barring an injury, Murray will IMO be a franchise player in 4 or 5 years in the NBA! I think he has the potential to be a Seth Curry type player.
      Padukacat -
      Jamal is figuring out the pace of the game and when he can pick his moments to shoot the ball instead of forcing it so much like he did early in the year. He no doubt has the talent to become a top flight NBA player and I hope he hits a hot streak like he's in now during the tourney because we are going to need it.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by DanISSELisdaman View Post
      Krank, barring an injury, Murray will IMO be a franchise player in 4 or 5 years in the NBA! I think he has the potential to be a Seth Curry type player.
      Dan, it will be interesting to see how his PG skills develop over your selected time period. I think he could become that team cornerstone even quicker because I see a lot of heart and soul to him. He's a hard worker and he has that drive to become great(er).
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      Jamal is figuring out the pace of the game and when he can pick his moments to shoot the ball instead of forcing it so much like he did early in the year. He no doubt has the talent to become a top flight NBA player and I hope he hits a hot streak like he's in now during the tourney because we are going to need it.
      Word.

Willis' emergence has helped Murray and Ulis get their vibe humming as well as it has, helping to spread the floor, etc. It'd be great if we could find just a little more reliable shooting out of dudes beyond those three, although that might be a reach.
      Darrell KSR -
      I am scheduled to be able to watch Saturday's game live (yay). Maybe I will watch one of the last four games before then, too. I'd kind of like to see the resurgence of Jamal Murray as it occurs.

Then again, now that I think of it, I stopped watching UK games right about the time they started playing really well. Oh, crap....
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      I am scheduled to be able to watch Saturday's game live (yay). Maybe I will watch one of the last four games before then, too. I'd kind of like to see the resurgence of Jamal Murray as it occurs.

Then again, now that I think of it, I stopped watching UK games right about the time they started playing really well. Oh, crap....
      Oh... then you are our good luck charm... don't watch any more games until after we get #9.
      DanISSELisdaman -
      Lol, I think you just put your finger on it Krank!
      Thedonnie123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by DanISSELisdaman View Post
      Lol, I think you just put your finger on it Krank!
      Attachment 5311
      catmanjack -
      Did not ever think Murray was selfish or a ball hog, he must score for this team to win and that was obvious from game 1.
      Edward100 -
      The team playing better, makes concentrating on Ulis and Murray harder.
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Edward100 View Post
      The team playing better, makes concentrating on Ulis and Murray harder.
      A lot better player movement. Watching our opponents try to guard is becoming a thing of beauty. if the shots continue to fall we are a tough out.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      Not only is he figuring out the pace of the game, he is also learning how to find and or create holes in the defense that allows for wide open shots. Twice in Tuesday's game he and Tyler worked to get him wide open, and I do mean wide open in the left corner for 3 points each time. He ran the floor on the baseline, and Tyler baited the defense with a fake drive to get him open. It was really pretty to watch it happen
      kingcat -
      Murray, Ulis, and Briscoe are averaging over 12 assists between them. That figure has been rising.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      Did not ever think Murray was selfish or a ball hog, he must score for this team to win and that was obvious from game 1.
      Robust +1.....Am grateful we have him for the ride.....most points wins the game.....where would the points come from without him?
      Edward100 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Not only is he figuring out the pace of the game, he is also learning how to find and or create holes in the defense that allows for wide open shots. Twice in Tuesday's game he and Tyler worked to get him wide open, and I do mean wide open in the left corner for 3 points each time. He ran the floor on the baseline, and Tyler baited the defense with a fake drive to get him open. It was really pretty to watch it happen
      That, my friend, is what Kentucky basketball is all about.
      Darrell KSR -
      From all I'm hearing, the light has really turned on for Jamal. We really need him to be an all around player, he could be incredible. Maybe already is.
  • KSR Twitter Feed