Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Mom's love, advice spurs Humphries

By: LARRY VAUGHT

There's nothing like a mother's love — or advice.

Kentucky freshman Isaac Humphries of Australia made his biggest contribution for the Cats since early December when he four points, six rebounds and three blocks in Saturday's win over Florida.

"I’ve been on a mission all week, really. My mom has been in my head just telling me to go hard, go hard, go hard. And today, I was really determined if I got a chance – and I did – to just really prove myself and I think all in all, I’m happy with how I did and how I took on my own little personal goal for myself," Humphries said.

So what did his mother say or do that UK coaches had not been able to do?

“I think my mom just noticed the mental, how it was affecting me mentally. I mean, it wasn’t that bad, but Mom’s being mom. She knows when something is a little wrong. She really drilled me and said, ‘Snap out of it, you’ll be fine. You’re young. When you get your chance go for it.’ And yeah, I did," Humphries said.

He got his chance when senior Alex Poythress could not play. Calipari, and Humphries, did not find that out until just before the game started.

“I think I did well. I was on a mission to prove myself out there so I think I did well in my own opinion," Humphries said.

He said he had been thinking about the "end goal" daily and even when he was not playing in games, he was trying to get better in practice. He said not playing did make him question himself at times.

"You doubt yourself and stuff like that but you just have to push through it. Coach has been telling me all season that I’ll get my chance and today was it and I think I proved myself," Humphries said.

Kentucky fans certainly liked it when he came from the weak side to block a shot, something UK had been lacking on defense.

“That was a great part of the game for me. I was just talking to Tyler (Ulis) about it actually. I noticed he had a complete mismatch and I thought, ‘Oh, I’m going to have to go eventually,’ and then I saw the ball being passed to him and I just went for it. That’s all you can do really," Humphries said.
    Comments 3 Comments
      blueboss -
      Am I hearing that Humphries is a little more than than upset about moving from the other side of the planet and not getting more playing time?

I certainly hope he continues to excel and gets enough playing time to keep him motivated, and more importantly keeps him from transferring.

Perhaps Willis can share his experience with Humphries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      dan_bgblue -
      Wilis's Dad and Humphries Mom. There are a few more players on the team that need a call from home
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Wilis's Dad and Humphries Mom. There are a few more players on the team that need a call from home
      And Willis's girl friend……maybe the "love bug" will bite
  • KSR Twitter Feed