Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Q&A with Fr DB Fred Tiller -- some honest quotes about UK's attitude

Question: How did it feel to play in your first collegiate game?
    Tiller: “It felt real good but I wish I could have played more though.”

Question: Is it bittersweet to make your debut in a game where you team is beaten 32-14?
    Tiller: “I mean we played our hardest. We came out slow today. The second half we did better. This week we are going to grind and get a win.”

Question: Was the atmopshere what you thought it would be?
    Tiller: “It was overwhelming. I loved it. I wish I could have played more like I said.”

Question: Will we see more from you and other freshman secondary players as the season progresses?
    Tiller: “Yes. Like Coach (Joker Phillips) said today, we are one play away from playing a lot. I think we are all going to do some good things.”

Question: Does this loss demoralize, disappoint you?
    Tiller: “I am not disappointed. I came to UK for a reason — to win and get better. That won’t change.”

Question: Was it a surprise to you to be on the two-deep depth chart?
    Tiller: “No. I worked my butt off this summer. I went hard in the weight room, went hard on the field and got the job. I am gunning for a starting position now.”

Question: Is the defense better than what it showed against Louisville?
    Tiller: “It is way better. We just didn’t expect what they were going to come out in today. They surprised us with some things. That two-point conversion and all the deep balls.”

Question: Were they just more physical?
    Tiller: “The offensive line, we thought they were not that good, so I guess so. The defensive line could have gone harder. This week we will get better.”

Question: Didn’t this team truly believe it would beat Louisville?
    Tiller: “Yes we did. I thought we were going to win, bring home the (Governor’) Cup and just have a good time.”

Question: Did the team maybe underestimate Louisville or overestimate Kentucky?
    Tiller: “I don’t even know. I think we underestimated them a little bit. They just came out and I guess they wanted it more.”
    Comments 13 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Those last 3 answers point to a lack of proper mental manipulation by the staff. The staff needs to pump up the players and make them believe they can, but not to the point of disregarding the ability of the opponent. Been a long time since UK lined up on the first play from scrimmage and smashed people in the mouth on either side of the ball. It is important to set the tone for the game early on, and UK does it, but not in the right way.
      LakeCat -
      Honestly ,those "we overlooked" or "underestimated" comments I have heard from UK players after losses to UL or Vandy over the years drive me insane. Of course, being a UK football fan is sort of the definition of insanity to begin with, but geez what historically has ever given UK the thought of feeling superior to any opponent we face? The blame lies with the coach who will still get paid several million when he gets canned this year. Maybe Mitch will lobby to pay him a few extra million to be really fair. When do the football fans get treated fairly??
      cattails -
      It seems we have a lot of young talent and an upper class that has not lived up to expectations.
      jazyd -
      Under Joker UK always comes out flat, and now I undertand why. Not only are they not prepared for what will come...thought the OL wasn't that good, wasn't prepared for some things they saw such as the deep ball.are you kidding me on that one...they seem to think they are better than anyone else w/o ever having proved it.

What a waste of millions of dollars for a coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeCat View Post
      Honestly ,those "we overlooked" or "underestimated" comments I have heard from UK players after losses to UL or Vandy over the years drive me insane. Of course, being a UK football fan is sort of the definition of insanity to begin with, but geez what historically has ever given UK the thought of feeling superior to any opponent we face? The blame lies with the coach who will still get paid several million when he gets canned this year. Maybe Mitch will lobby to pay him a few extra million to be really fair. When do the football fans get treated fairly??
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Under Joker UK always comes out flat, and now I undertand why. Not only are they not prepared for what will come...thought the OL wasn't that good, wasn't prepared for some things they saw such as the deep ball.are you kidding me on that one...they seem to think they are better than anyone else w/o ever having proved it.

What a waste of millions of dollars for a coaching staff.
      Total lack of preparation.
      LarryVaught1 -
      And Fred was just honestly answering questions. Don't think he was knocking coaching staff or players. just saying what he felt and believed
      jazyd -
      Larry, trust me I am not knocking the kid and I don't anyone else is either, this is all on the coaching staff. Unfortunately for him he just repeated what he had been told by these coach's and that is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      And Fred was just honestly answering questions. Don't think he was knocking coaching staff or players. just saying what he felt and believed
      Padukacat -
      Funny how second string guys think they should play more......maybe they should? The resounding theme to me is that we have a coach that is tubby smith minus the game plan.
      dramsey79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      Question: Is the defense better than what it showed against Louisville?
      Tiller: “It is way better. We just didn’t expect what they were going to come out in today. They surprised us with some things. That two-point conversion and all the deep balls.”
      Arrggg!!
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by LakeCat View Post
      I am sorry, but this garbage really PMTFO!!! You play to a standard! You shoot for excellence and try to achieve it on every play. I did not see that on Sunday afternoon. I see it on the basketball court every time out. I haven't seen it on the football field in some time.
      KSRBEvans -
      I'm sorry for Tiller and every other freshman who will have his redshirt blown this season.
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
      I'm sorry for Tiller and every other freshman who will have his redshirt blown this season.
      I'd guess more than 50% will be required to play, specially on Defense. Then the one kid who has been raved most about Whitlow doesn't sniff the field.
      CitizenBBN -
      They did unexpected things like pass the ball? I admit I'm no football expert but I didn't see anything radical in their offense. How could the staff not prepare them for passes?

This sure as heck isn't on Tiller or the players. Maybe they didn't execute here and there, but the defense was completely unprepared to play the game at any position.

IMO the worst part isn't even that they weren't prepared for what they saw: it was that the staff wasn't able to adjust to it at all. Cal teaches his players how to play, knowing teams will throw different things at them. Clearly Joker isn't teaching guys how to just play, so when the other team doesn't do exactly what they prepared for they don't know what to do. That's absurd.

Tiller is just one player, and while he wouldn't lie it is just one view, but if we take this as an accurate insight on the team, and I think we do, this is beyond disturbing. This is confirmation there's no way this staff can turn things around b/c they aren't even doing the basics of preparation both in skills and mental preparation.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post