Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Ulis pushing teammates to develop killer instinct

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Being ready to play is never a problem for Kentucky sophomore Tyler Ulis. He'll play hurt and go just as hard as when he is healthy.

Some of his Kentucky teammates don't have that same consistency when it comes to intensity and that was on display again Tuesday night when UK lost most of a 20-point lead before barely holding off Mississippi State.

"Guys came out and didn’t want to play again. We have to keep working on that. I don’t understand why guys come out like that, but we’re going to get there," Ulis said before admitting that attitude did baffle him."

He said he tries to push teammates to get a killer instinct many lack.

"Some guys have it, but some guys don’t always come out ready to play. But when we do, when everybody comes out ready and have the same intensity, we’re a good team," he said.

He said he thought "guys just stopped playing" during State's comeback in the final 10 minutes and it is frustrating to see teammates not play as hard as him.

“It’s frustrating for us as a team because we all want to come out there and win, and some guys are giving it their all and some guys just choose not to come out and play that day. It brings our entire team down," Ulis said. "It’s hard for us to get a good win. Like, they came back tonight because we didn’t have the same energy and guys didn’t come to play.”

Ulis addressed the team after its disappointing effort a week earlier in the loss at LSU. Now the coach wants him to do more.

"I told Tyler, 'You say it before the game and you say it during the game, then you're allowed to say it after the game. You don't say something to him before the game and during the game. Do not speak to him after the game. That's not fair. But if you got on them prior to, you're on them during the game, and you're telling them what they need to do and they're not responding, then you have a right to say something after,'" Calipari said.

Ulis said as the team's point guard, he needs to tell teammates when they are not doing enough.

“I don’t really get on them before games. I tell them we have to play and come out ready. But during the game if I see a guy mess up, I try to get on him, let him know what he needs to do," Ulis said.

He says there has been no finger pointing among teammates after losses or games where some players have been "no shows" to use a phrase Calipari likes. 

“We’re still together, getting better every day. Especially with the break, we had a lot of time to spend together, eating together, going to see movies. Stuff like that. But we’re coming together still," Ulis said. "You just have to get on guys and try to talk them through it. I don’t know honestly, you just have to talk to them, get on them and let them know what they have to do, and guys have to step up and do their job.”

Freshman Isaiah Briscoe said Ulis is the clear team leader and teammates listen to him.

"He pays attention to things like that, and he just wants five people on the court that’s going to want to win, and that’s going to help us win," Briscoe said.

Freshman Jamal Murray said the team, "not just certain guys," has to solve the no-show problem.

"There are certain scenarios where it looks bad on one player but it really is a team effort. That causes some players to look worse than others," Murray said.
    Comments 8 Comments
      Philly Cat -
      This team has seemed very disjointed. Last year, we had the Bahamas trip, but even if we didn't, I thought the talk of "Brotherhood" would have seemed very natural. This year, it feels more forced-- just from body language and the way they interact on the court.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
      This team has seemed very disjointed. Last year, we had the Bahamas trip, but even if we didn't, I thought the talk of "Brotherhood" would have seemed very natural. This year, it feels more forced-- just from body language and the way they interact on the court.
      I agree.

It's why I didn't jump on the bandwagon (and still don't) with Tyler's shoving Skal in the chest and calling out teammates.

I'm not saying that's bad, just that something isn't perfect, and I don't know what the cause of the solution is. So I'm neither praising nor chastising players for those type of activities. May never know.
      jazyd -
      When the two guards never look at their teammates in the front, and take half the shots in a game, how can you call someone out for nto trying, especially after the previous game where Ullis actually looked for Alex and Lee and both showed what they can do and scored often. After awhile, the brain says if I work hard but get nothing from my teammate, should I continue to work hard. The brain says I am more than just a shot eraser when you, the guard, continue to make mistakes out front. The brain says you, the guards, make mistakes and then blame me. the brain says BS.

When MSU went to man to man in the second half, one would think the pg who claims to be the leader and regularly calls out teammates would recognize that he needed to go inside because MSU only has one front court player, ONE, and he should know that Alex and Lee could dominate. Didn't happen. We almost lost, not because of Alex or Lee or Willis, but because Ullis didn't do what a pg should do, and our guards were getting whipped by their guards.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
      I think what we saw with the "Brotherhood" last year was just another example of the extreme of excellence that team exhibited and that this year's team is much more of a normal situation.

I don't see anything different in this team than many of Cal's other teams. What I do see is one that is coming together a little more slowly than usual, and I can attribute that to late signings, international players and late arrivals. Many of these guys weren't able to form the bonds BEFORE arriving on campus that last year's team already had, as well as other Cal teams.

It's my belief(or is it hope?), that the rigors of conference play, the struggles that we've seen to date, the process of identity formation, and it's eventual success(?) are what brings this team together to where they need to be in March.

I'm confident in that happening.
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post

It's my belief(or is it hope?), that the rigors of conference play, the struggles that we've seen to date, the process of identity formation, and it's eventual success(?) are what brings this team together to where they need to be in March.

I feel the same way.

Earlier, two things stood out as problems with this team. Can they shoot from the perimeter, and can we make free throws? One of those has been addressed and the other should come over time imho.

When UK from early in the season meets with the good perimeter shooting UK, and they are awarded and make their free throws (Briscoe), they will be as good as anyone in the country. And that young man would be looked upon as one of Cal's best all around freshman guards ever.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
      I think what we saw with the "Brotherhood" last year was just another example of the extreme of excellence that team exhibited and that this year's team is much more of a normal situation.

I don't see anything different in this team than many of Cal's other teams. What I do see is one that is coming together a little more slowly than usual, and I can attribute that to late signings, international players and late arrivals. Many of these guys weren't able to form the bonds BEFORE arriving on campus that last year's team already had, as well as other Cal teams.

I may not be as confident as you are in it, but there's a good chance of it. What John Calipari does with young players is remarkable, in my view. Nobody does it better. We can talk about the talented players all we want, but they are young, and haven't played basketball anywhere like this before (speaking of the freshmen). His track record is phenomenal.

So this year's group is a little more normal and not quite phenomenal. If there's one thing John Calipari has shown us, it is that he can reach the youngsters, and he also doesn't push the panic button as we UK fans do. I would not bet against him helping the group figure out its identity before the season ends.
      UKHistory -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      I agree.

It's why I didn't jump on the bandwagon (and still don't) with Tyler's shoving Skal in the chest and calling out teammates.

I'm not saying that's bad, just that something isn't perfect, and I don't know what the cause of the solution is. So I'm neither praising nor chastising players for those type of activities. May never know.
      I am a big fan of Tyler in general as I think he is an exceptional point guard. With that said, talk is cheap. Play and lead by example. Speak honestly and when necessary critically to your teammates privately. Publicly say nothing bad or critical. That is what a coach is for. Don't push them or physically disrespect them publicly. Privately I am not a big fan of either but I am not a player.
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      I am a big fan of Tyler in general as I think he is an exceptional point guard. With that said, talk is cheap. Play and lead by example. Speak honestly and when necessary critically to your teammates privately. Publicly say nothing bad or critical. That is what a coach is for. Don't push them or physically disrespect them publicly. Privately I am not a big fan of either but I am not a player.
      Yep
  • KSR Twitter Feed