Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Stoops knew exactly what he was getting into at Kentucky

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky football coach Mark Stoops was in somewhat of a jovial mood Monday as he talked about additions not only to his coaching staff but a variety of other things.

He also quickly said he did not feel like 2016 was a "put up or shut up season" despite his teams going 2-10, 5-7, and 5-7 the last three years.

"I feel like I’ve got to continue to do my job the very best we can. I said it in so many ways: It’s a results business. I get it. You know what I mean? So, we’re going to look for better results and more wins, but I know what we’re doing. I know the state of the program, and I know how hard it is," said Stoops.

"Again, what I’ve told you many times: I knew exactly what I was getting into. I know exactly. That doesn’t make me feel good all the time – just because you anticipate bumps, you anticipate major obstacles. I get it. I’ve been around, but it doesn’t make you feel any better. It’s still tough, but believe me, it doesn’t discourage me one bit.

"We’ll go forward. We’ll get it done. Look around. Look around. You think I’m the only one with issues? You think I’m the only one that’s got to answer to you all (in the media)? It’s in our business. We get it."

He also gets why fans are frustrated.

“What kills me is when I’m around town. You know how I feel about this place: I love this place, I love the people, I love the passion of the fans. They’re angry when we lose. They should be. They’re tired of it. They’ve been around here a lot longer than me with some ups and the downs," Stoops said. "I told you I want to deliver for them, and we will. And that doesn’t discourage me.

"What kills me is when I’m walking around town and they’re like, ‘Coach, hang in there man. You all right?’ I’m like, ‘Heck yeah, I’m all right. Where you think I’m going? I didn’t die. We’re fine.’ It’s going to take a lot to get me out of here. We’ll get it done. Believe me, I’m very optimistic. Very excited. There’s always bumps in the road. We’ll get it straight. It’s not easy, but we’ll get it done.

"I feel very good about it and am not discouraged one bit. That’s the only awkwardness I’ve had: When I’m running around at the grocery store and some old folks are looking at me like, ‘Man coach, just hang in there buddy.’ I’m like, ‘Hey, I’m fine, man. I’m going to work. Let’s get it done.’ So, no worries about me or any of these coaches. We’re very excited, very optimistic. We’re not happy, but we’re ready to get to work and get better.”
    Comments 4 Comments
      jazyd -
      He is right about one thing, it will take a lot to get him out of here, $12.5 million after next season
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      He is right about one thing, it will take a lot to get him out of here, $12.5 million after next season
      Hehe! Great minds think alike.
      Padukacat -
      He's about as articulate as tubby smith when he speaks.

Hey coach, I get it man, you think we think you suck, and hey that may be the way people feel, but hang in there man and just look at how much money you've made the past few years, you're getting it done coach.

That's my best ms impersonation.
      ajp40505 -
      There's a lot about Mark Stoops that reminds me of Bill Curry. I can't remember how many offensive coordinators Curry had during his time here, but it was quite a few.

I hope Gran is the real deal, but I can't shake the feeling that it's too little too late. Stoops is the guy running the show and he's the guy who hired Shannon Dawson last year and Eddie Gran was the guy he passed over. Now we get a do over. There's a reason Mark Stoops, a football lifer, made it to the age of 47 before he got a head job.
  • KSR Twitter Feed