Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Phillips sees addition of Gran as "best move Stoops has made"

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Even though he's leaving Kentucky, quarterback Reese Phillips thinks the hiring of former Cincinnati offensive coordinator Eddie Gran as head coach of the offense at Kentucky was a winning move by UK coach Mark Stoops.

"I think that was the best move coach Stoops has made in his (head coaching) carer," said Phillips, who is transferring from UK. "It shows me Stoops is going to g row as a head coach and has learned from his mistakes."

Neal Brown was offensive coordinator for Stoops at UK for two years before leaving to become head coach at Troy. Shannon Dawson was the coordinator last year but was fired after the season ended.

Patrick Towles, who started 22 games at quarterback in 2014 and 2015, announced after the season ended that he was transferring to Boston College. Reese said on Sunday Morning Sports on WLAP that he likely would transfer to Montana if his visit goes well this week.

"That move hiring Eddie Gran is big," Phillips. "Stoops knows all about football, but he is a defensive guy and has a defensive mind so it is impressive he did this.

"I think it is the right move and as long as he holds true and lets the offensive guys do things, Kentucky could be really good next year. I am not saying he (Stoops) does not know offense, but this hire shows his growth as a coach."
    Comments 20 Comments
      UKHistory -
      Wow. Talk about a backhanded compliment. Maybe Reese is 100% right but comes across poor in some respects.

But Resse's view may be correct. This team did not play as a team. Would winning have been the difference or is the losing just an example of the fractured divides that made this team have such a disappointing year?
      KentuckyWildcat -
      I took what he said as a polite way of saying that Stoops finally realizes he needs to get out of the way and not micro manage.
      KeithKSR -
      I am skeptical that Stoops will give his new hires a chance to do their jobs. Stoops anointed Barker as a starter prior to hiring Gran and Hinshaw, that isn't a good sign he will give them freedom.
      jazyd -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      I am skeptical that Stoops will give his new hires a chance to do their jobs. Stoops anointed Barker as a starter prior to hiring Gran and Hinshaw, that isn't a good sign he will give them freedom.
      Bingo
      jazyd -
      I see Phillips as wanting to make sure nothing stands in his way to getting all his ducks in a row for the transfer. He wasn't nearly this kinda nice after announcing he was leaving. Again he basically is saying Stoops did not let his OC run their offense and doubt he does now.
      snoopcat -
      Just another buffoon move from Stoops. Barker had done nothing to deserve being named the starter unless you count dividing the team and creating tension in the locker room. Guess Stoops feels he should be rewarded.
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      CGWildcat -
      ENOUGH ALREADY> Geez! I've not asked some of you about "insider" news, or what you hear or what this kids dads brother who is a GA say about the team/coaches. Mainly because I don't give a rats ass. Many of you on here though seem to know the exact things that are happening behind the scenes and gripe about it to no end, without coming out and saying what the managers brother, roommates dad told me at the country club. I'm not calling anyone in particular out, but maybe just the board as a whole.

Enough already. 2015 happened, its done. Move on.
      catmanjack -
      That's what the board is for to voice opinions and have good discussions.
      dtalbersjr -
      I couldn't care less what a 3rd string QB who's transferring after never playing a meaningful down thinks about our new hires. Or our old hires, or any other opinion he has.

Actually, I could care less if this thread had been about Joker Phillips. Which was what I first thought when I read the thread title.
      CGWildcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      That's what the board is for to voice opinions and have good discussions.
      Very true Catman, I agree. As I've been reading lately though, there are a lot more Eeyores walking around just waiting to say that Stoops had the wrong color underwear for his press conference today, which of course means, he can't dress himself and should have someone that knows underwear pick it out for him and make sure he puts it on correctly.
      BigBlue92 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
      Enough already. 2015 happened, its done. Move on.
      Preach.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
      Very true Catman, I agree. As I've been reading lately though, there are a lot more Eeyores walking around just waiting to say that Stoops had the wrong color underwear for his press conference today, which of course means, he can't dress himself and should have someone that knows underwear pick it out for him and make sure he puts it on correctly.
      2015 was ugly, but as you say it is over. Things are changing and the only way any of us will know if the changes are positive or not is to wait until the games begin again. Constantly rehashing the past is counter productive for my psyche. Everyone has had their say about the program and their opinions are valued, but what say we all leave 2015 in the toilet and move on with a fresh start?
      Darrell KSR -
      As far as I iam concerned, we are tied for 1st place in 2016 until proven otherwise. That's how I'm approaching it til kickoff.
      HCCATFAN -
      Quote Originally Posted by snoopcat View Post
      Just another buffoon move from Stoops. Barker had done nothing to deserve being named the starter unless you count dividing the team and creating tension in the locker room. Guess Stoops feels he should be rewarded.
      Stoops explained it today.
      Barker is number one when the first snap in spring practice starts. The season starter will be awarded on results. I have no problem with that. Even the media would have anointed him #1 at the start of spring practice is CMS had not made the earlier remark.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by HCCATFAN View Post

Barker is number one when the first snap in spring practice starts. The season starter will be awarded on results. I have no problem with that. Even the media would have anointed him #1 at the start of spring practice is CMS had not made the earlier remark.
      That makes sense.
      snoopcat -
      He is the only qb left in the program. The other 2 left due to the fact Barker was named the starter for next year. Seems he is back tracking on that now. Barker will have no competition in the spring.
      KentuckyWildcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      As far as I iam concerned, we are tied for 1st place in 2016 until proven otherwise. That's how I'm approaching it til kickoff.
      But are we not also tied for last?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
      Darrell KSR -
      As long as we are as tied with Alabama, I'm good...
      KentuckyWildcat -
      I'd settle for that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
      jazyd -

Stoops ran 2 qb's off by telling them no competition, barker is the starter. Stoops thinks we all are stupid and don't realize what he said. He is lying.
  • KSR Twitter Feed