Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Briscoe, UK to face Simmons and LSU

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Isaiah Briscoe thought LSU freshman Ben Simmons was the best player in the country when he played against him in high school.

“He can do it all, 6-10, he can dribble, pass, shoot. He can do it all. He can run a team. He’s a good player,” Briscoe said Monday.

Kentucky finds out just how good Tuesday night when it plays at LSU, which is coming off a win at Vanderbilt on Saturday.

Assistant coach Kenny Payne said several players had indicated a willingness to guard Simmons but would not say who they were.

Would Briscoe be happy to guard Simmons?

“It is what it is,” Briscoe said.

Briscoe said Kentucky would just “try to contain him” and will treat it like any other game even though Simmons seems to already be a consensus No. 1 pick in the June NBA draft.

Freshman Skal Labissiere calls him a “really good player” and has played against and with Simmons.

“On the court, we had a very good chemistry I would say. He’s a really good passer. His basketball IQ is off the chart. We played really well together on the court,” Labissiere said. “But it’s about our team going against LSU. So it’s about us going to get a win when we go down there. So that’s been the focus for us.”

Kentucky assistant coach says Simmons is unique with his size and skills.

“If you guard him with a big, he has the ability to play like a point guard. If you put a smaller player on him, he has the ability to play like a big. He’ll play great against us. I’m sure he’ll be excited. He’s an excellent rebounder,” Payne said. “He’s a challenge. I’m sure our guys will feel obligated to go at him. He gets a lot of hype. Everybody considers him hands down the best player in the country, so we should be excited to play against him.”

Payne said he thinks Alex Poythress, Marcus Lee and Briscoe have to accept the challenge of stopping, or at least containing, Simmons.

“We want to throw a bunch of players at him that are going to compete, put pressure on him and make everything he does hard,” Payne said. “Players know and respect other players, so when you turn on the TV and you see commentators talking about Ben Simmons you can bet that our guys are watching.”

Payne didn't see Simmons often on the recruiting trail but knew he was gifted and special.

“Didn’t know how long it would take him to get embraced to college basketball because it’s a different pace than high school. But he’s a very talented player. He’s a mismatch problem. You can’t hit him with a steady diet of one player, whether it’s a big or a guard. He’s unique,” Payne said.
    Comments 11 Comments
      UKHistory -
      Briscoe as opposed to Humpries or Wynward or Skal. Speaks to how our bigs are presently.

No doubt Briscoe has a toughness to him but I can't be see Briscoe as a serious option for any period of time.
      Darrell KSR -
      Simmons handles the ball too well for Humphries or Labissiere to guard him. Haven't seen Wynyard, but guess he falls in the same category.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      I know Krank has applied for the Chairmanship of Briscoe's fan club. Maybe Briscoe's biggest contribution to this team is the intangible of being a bit surly, having a NY Playground type of toughness…..sort of a comrade-in-arms with his new best friend, Mr. Ulis……..

The above enables many of us to overlook his offensive shortcomings i.e. Free Throws and 3-Pointers…..he is, in many ways, a shorter version of Marcus Lee, minus the swagger…..it takes a village to put together a Banner- winning team……maybe, just maybe, Briscoe is about to become a very beloved young man who we will elevate to a hallowed place in Wildcat History

And, Krank will have competition for the Chairmanship position!!!!
      Padukacat -
      I like the Briscoe, poy, and Lee plan but it's all poy in this one, he will determine this outcome and I think he's looking better in regard to his health.
      kingcat -
      I like Poy on Simmons, but I think Mathews may be a key cog in defending him. His name isn't being mentioned..so he's likely the guy.
      Crazy4Blue -
      We got to slow him down or just contain him. We have to stop the others.
      CGWildcat -
      I think Simmons will get his tonight, but 25-30 points won't win the game for LSU. Seems we can contain everyone else and get out of there with a win
      kingcat -
      LSU had better plan on how to stop Ulis and not how to get Simmons points.

20 points and ten assists is a 40 point (+) offensive outing. And six steals adds another double figure positive affect to the game. And so Ulis accounted for fifty points or better for us against Ole miss. He's decent also if you think about it.

Our three point guard attack is something to fear when it clicks...and it will tonight.
      Philly Cat -
      Simmons with a sympathetic home whistle is going to be unstoppable.

Thus, the only real "defense" I think is stopping him from getting the ball-- whether that means denying him passes wherever possible or stealing the ball from other players, I don't know. I just know that he will be unstoppable tonight because of both his skills and the refs.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hard Ten View Post
      I know Krank has applied for the Chairmanship of Briscoe's fan club. Maybe Briscoe's biggest contribution to this team is the intangible of being a bit surly, having a NY Playground type of toughness…..sort of a comrade-in-arms with his new best friend, Mr. Ulis……..

The above enables many of us to overlook his offensive shortcomings i.e. Free Throws and 3-Pointers…..he is, in many ways, a shorter version of Marcus Lee, minus the swagger…..it takes a village to put together a Banner- winning team……maybe, just maybe, Briscoe is about to become a very beloved young man who we will elevate to a hallowed place in Wildcat History

And, Krank will have competition for the Chairmanship position!!!!

Just saw this post, RHT, lol.

At the beginning of the season, FWIW, I tabbed Matthews as "my" guy, mostly because I watched him play lights out in a huge win over the #1 team in Illinois, taking over the game in so many ways, but I admit to gravitating, in general, to guys who man up HARD on D. Certainly, Briscoe fits that mold.

I get as frustrated as anyone with his shooting. His issues at the line are bewildering when one considers he was WAY better in high school, but hey, not everyone can shoot great, yet Briscoe has just about everything else I would want in a "lead" or point guard. I could see his passing improving and his decisions to commit to the drive and/or shot, but that kid can really finish well and, although there are exceptions, he has actually made mostly good decisions when penetrating and has had very few bad games, most of them coming just after injury.

He's a tough ass. What's not to like, right?
      jazyd -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      I like the Briscoe, poy, and Lee plan but it's all poy in this one, he will determine this outcome and I think he's looking better in regard to his health.
      same as my thought, Poy will get him with Lee spelling him. Now if they will do as they are told, it will be ok. I say that because of Willie's soph year down there trying to stop Johnnie O and when he came to the bench he asked Kenny what he was supposed to do and Kenny told him..do what Coach Cal told you to do. thought it was funny.
      Poy will be physical with him, and Lee will be quick with him. But if we stop the other guys, the game is in the bag unless Simmons pulls a Meeks and goes for over 50
  • KSR Twitter Feed