Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Phillips is 4th quarterback under Stoops to transfer from Kentucky

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Sophomore quarterback Reese Phillips has decided that he will transfer to another school in order to have a chance to play more than he has in three seasons at Kentucky.

Phillips posted this on Twitter: “The last 3 years have meant everything to me. I've decided to transfer to keep playing. I will always love you #BBN.”

Earlier this month junior Patrick Towles, who started 22 games in 2014 and 2015, announced he was leaving for Boston College. That leaves two quarterbacks at UK — redshirt freshman Drew Barker, who started the final two games last season, at UK along with walk-on Davis Mattingly. However, Ohio prep standout Gunnar Hoak, a three-star prospect, is scheduled to arrive on campus in January.

Four quarterbacks have now transferred from UK since the arrival of Mark Stoops — Jalen Whitlow, Max Smith, Towles and Phillips. Phillips was actually signed after Stoops was hired, but he committed when Joker Phillips was still the coach and graduate from high school to enroll early at UK just a few weeks after Stoops and Brown arrived at UK.

Kentucky will also have its third offensive coordinator in the last three years in 2016. Neal Brown was in charge in 2013 and 2014 before leaving to become head coach at Troy. Shannon Dawson called the offense in 2015 but has been fired. Stoops has yet to name a new offensive coordinator.

Smith said in a message tonight “I love UK. Always will.” He also said he was “nice that people understand” he just wants a chance to play. He held for field goals and extra points last season, but has played only sparingly in three years.

One of the first to wish Phillips good luck on Twitter was Towles.

“Good luck to one of my best friends @ReesePhillips11! Go ball out kid!,” Towles posted
    Comments 4 Comments
      catmanjack -
      Really there is only one that hurts, look at the others and tell me would or
      could they play QB at UK?
      Whitlow great athlete but not an SEC QB
      Smith hurt many times could not beat out Towles
      Towles is the only one that hurts
      Phillips got hurt but really he had a chance and couldn't best out either Towles or Barker.
      Love Larry but really no story here and QBs are made to transfer.
      dan_bgblue -
      ETWNAPPEL -
      No depth next year at QB. This hurts. I guess Barker and Stoops have run off all the competition. Now what? Hope next season isn't a repeat of the 2nd half of the U.K./UL game.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
      No depth next year at QB. This hurts. I guess Barker and Stoops have run off all the competition. Now what? Hope next season isn't a repeat of the 2nd half of the U.K./UL game.
      I agree. Phillips was serviceable. Backups are needed.
  • KSR Twitter Feed