Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• UK quarterback commit Mac Jones taking a wait-and-see approach to new hire

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Florida junior quarterback Mac Jones committed early to the University of Kentucky in large part due to offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson.

Dawson had recruited him when he was coaching at West Virginia and Jones decided there was no reason to wait and gave his pledge to UK in late  July.

When Jones did verbally commit to UK, it set off a flurry of six commitments in the next few days that included Russ Yeast, James Hudson and Mike Warren, all out of Ohio.

So what was Jones’ reaction to Dawson’s firing?

“Not sure yet. Want to make sure hire fits me,” said Jones.

Jones, who recently got an official offer from West Virginia, came on WLAP (630AM) Sunday to talk about Dawson’s dismissal and his future.

“I wanted to come on and hope there were a lot of listeners to say that Kentucky football is going to change and to stay all in with Kentucky,” Jones said.

He said both Dawson and head coach Mark Stoops called him with news about the coaching change. He said Stoops indicated he would hire an “Air Raid type of coordinator” to replace Dawson.

One popular candidate seems to be Cincinnati offensive coordinator Eddie Gran, who has also been rumored to be a potential candidate for some head coaching spots.

“I love Eddie Gran’s offense. I would love to play in that,” Jones said. “I am not seeking offers, but just trying to keep my options open while I see what happens.

“I really love Kentucky and last year I did see some signs of improvement. We had a few plays in some games that went the other way and could have changed the whole season around.”

Jones said he won’t play soccer or lacrosse so he can spend more time lifting weights.
    Comments 15 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      Hard to get aread on this one.
      catmanjack -
      Seemed Luke warm.
      Darrell KSR -
      I'd call him uncommitted, leaning to UK. It is a tenuous position at best.
      Terry Blue -
      I,D say we still have a very good chance. Remember too that we have in state qb and athlete Walker Wood commited for that class too
      catmanjack -
      Really, I am sorry never seen Wood play but I stand by this comment if he is the starting QB at UK, UK will not win.
      Hearing that all I see and hear is one train wreck after another.
      Terry Blue -
      I don't know what you're talking about. If Gran is not the new OC then the whole of BBN will be surprised and Mac said he loved that offense. I guess one can always be pessimistic. Walker Wood, you've never seen play, yet you're already condemning him? What kind of attitude is that?
      Edward100 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      I don't know what you're talking about. If Gran is not the new OC then the whole of BBN will be surprised and Mac said he loved that offense. I guess one can always be pessimistic. Walker Wood, you've never seen play, yet you're already condemning him? What kind of attitude is that?
      I agree with Terry. Give the man some time to unpack his clothes before you lynch him.
      catmanjack -
      Guys this is the SEC it's time to move forward.
      Tell me one school in a power 5 conference that offered wood as a QB, yet we are excited that he's in the same class.
      That's my problem, been watching UK football since 1982, just not excited about wood at QB.
      dan_bgblue -
      Walker Wood is #9 and these highlights are from his Junior year

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1460314/...s/280927375/v2
      Terry Blue -
      Man, Walker Wood hasn,t even finished his junior year in high school yet. Plenty of time to tack on more offers. Plus even if he doesn,t play qb, he can excel at another position. I,D say there,s plenty of room for optimism. We haven,t lost one 2016 or 2017 commit yet
      catmanjack -
      I hope he turns out to be all SEC just question if it's at QB.
      jazyd -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Walker Wood is #9 and these highlights are from his Junior year

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1460314/...s/280927375/v2
      dan, I seldom look at high light videos because that is all they show, the high lights. I remember guard Tubby offered, white kid, oh my gosh, the high light video made himout to be an AA, but he wasn't any good. So thanks for linking that but I pass. And if no one in the SEC has offered, since this staff hasn't show the ability to coach up a player, ho hum. '
      And Terry, the kid has finished his junior year of playing, he has one season left and unless he blows up in a summer camp, I doubt offers come flooding in.

Catman, I am just about to the lpoint I don't care, wake me up when Stoops is gone d or by some stroke of fate we win 7 games..don't wake me for 6 wins, boring. Heck, maybe we can get some that are leaving TAM, not the Murray kid as I think hemight have been asked to leave, seems he ran his mouth to the OC during a game which is why he didn't play as much the last 4 games.
      catmanjack -
      Right there with you, it's time for Stoops to do more for UK then the chrome helmets and some would tell him to take them with him when he leaves.
      catmanjack -
      I really ment no harm to the kid I am sure he plays hard and I wish him the best.
      jazyd -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      I really ment no harm to the kid I am sure he plays hard and I wish him the best.
      I know you didnt, just frustrated
  • KSR Twitter Feed