Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky staying in contact with Trevon Duval

By: LARRY VAUGHT

BENTON — Coaches from Kentucky, Louisville and Maryland have told the father of Advanced Prep International point guard Trevon Duval that they will be there at the Marshall County Hoop Fest when he plays against Josh Jackson and Prolific Prep.

Duval is rated as the top point guard in the 2017 recruiting class and he had 15 points, 5 assists and 4 steals Thursday in API's win over Sunrise Christian. One recruiting service — 247Sports — has the guard from Delaware as the top overall player in the 2017 class.

While he does not yet have a scholarship offer from Kentucky, he noted in a recent blog he wrote for USA Today that Kentucky has played well and he said here Thursday night that UK has stayed in contact.

“They contact me every so often. I am interested in Kentucky like a lot of other schools because they are a really good school and produce professionals,” the 6-3 Duval said.

He also knows UK freshman Isaiah Briscoe well.

“He always talks to me about Kentucky and how he has improved and how he likes it,” Duval said.

He says Kentucky is a school he “definitely” plans to visit.

“Coach (John) Calipari is really confident in his players and what he does. He also gets players to the  NBA. I like that,” Duval said.

Duval is a confident player. He considers himself the best player in his recruiting class.

“I would say getting inside the lane and creating for teammates inside the defense is what I do best,” he said. “I loved our game here (Thursday). It was fun playing on national TV (on ESPN) in a different state.

Arizona, Kansas, Louisville, Maryland, Syracuse, UConn, Seton Hall and Rutgers are among teams that have offered Duval.

“I love his ability to be a playmaker. I like how he creates shots for himself but how good he is at also creating better shots for other players,” ESPN national recruiting director Paul Biancardi said after working Thursday’s game. “He navigates the pick and roll well. He gets separation off ball screens. He just loves to play.”

API coach Ray Forsett says Duval has great court vision even under pressure and handles the well under pressure, too.

“You put all that together and you have a special guard and special player. He is a better kid off the court as well. Quiet, humble, just loves to work and try to get better. Him seeing the floor and being able to find people and score, that’s a dynamic guard,” Forsett said. “He is explosive around the rim. He knows how to get up and he’s aggressive, so that helps.”

Duval dove on the floor numerous times here battling for loose balls, something Forsett said he had been preaching to him.

“It starts with the guy that is the head. He’s the point guard and everybody feeds off him. When you are in help defense, you look at him for energy and it goes through the team,” Forsett said.

The coach enjoys what Duval is writing for USA Today.

“He is a sharp kid and takes care of business academically. That is all him (doing the blog). To who much is given, much is required. He handles it well. I trust he will say the right thing. I don’t even check. I am reading it just like everybody else when it gets out there,” Forsett said.

Duval says he enjoys the writing.

“I do it every so often whenever they need a post or whatever. It is pretty cool,” Duval said.
    Comments 2 Comments
      catmanjack -
      I am sure he is dying to visit hooker hall on the UL campus.
      Hoss -
      Glad he's in the conversation...Awesome player!
  • KSR Twitter Feed