Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Towles leaving Kentucky with class and dignity

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Patrick Towles is leaving the University of Kentucky football program the same way he arrived — with class and dignity.

As a star at Highlands High School, Towles had his choice of many big-time programs but he had always been a Kentucky fan — so had his parents — and he verbally committed to UK coach Joker Phillips’ program while he was still a junior in hopes of helping recruiting.

He was expected by many to be the quarterback savior that the Kentucky football program desperately needed.

However, it never worked out quite that way and Sunday Towles announced he was going to transfer after losing his starting job to redshirt freshman Drew Barker.

Towles will complete his degree in political science in December, so he will have one season of eligibility remaining and can play immediately at any school now that he’s been given his full release by Kentucky.

“I would like to thank the University of Kentucky for giving me the opportunity to achieve my childhood dream of playing quarterback for the Wildcats,” Towles said in a statement released by UK. “The last four years have been ones that I will truly cherish for the rest of my life. Although I wish my time in Lexington could have ended another way, I’m eternally grateful.

“I’ve decided to transfer to play my fifth year at another university. Thank you to coach Stoops, coach (Shannon) Dawson, (athletics director) Mitch Barnhart, my teammates and the Big Blue Nation for allowing me to achieve my lifelong dream. I will truly bleed blue ‘til the day I die.”

Towles has always said and done the right things. He survived being ignored by then offensive coordinator Randy Sanders his first season. The next year he was told by then offensive coordinator Neal Brown what he had to do to improve during a redshirt season, and he did it. He started in 2014 as a sophomore for Brown, who left after last season to become head coach at Troy. This season under new offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson he completed 183 of 326 passes (56.1 percent) for 2,148 yards and nine touchdowns. In his career, he completed 427 of 759 throws for 5,099 yards and 24 scores.

His 5,447 yards of total offense are the sixth-best in UK history behind Jared Lorenzen (10,637), Andre Woodson (8,870), Tim Couch (8,160), Mike Hartline (5,660) and Bill Ransdell (5,456).

“I thank Patrick for everything he’s done for our team,” Kentucky coach Mark Stoops said in the UK release. “I understand his decision and support him. He truly gave everything he had and I wish him nothing but the best.”

Yet with Barker clearly struggling in the second half against Louisville, Stoops and offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson did not turn to Towles until the final series of the 38-24 loss. Stoops said he discussed using Towles earlier with Dawson but they felt Barker was only “a fraction off” before second-guessing himself.

“We had some plays and could have probably gone with Patrick a couple of series earlier than that,” Stoops said after Saturday’s loss.

Again, that clearly had to show Towles that he likely would be behind Barker again next season. For a player who early this season was mentioned as one of the best at his position in terms of the NFL draft, he needs to find a place where he can play next season and also an more conventional drop-back offense that may suit his talents better.

Barker and Towles got along well. They competed, but also helped each other.

Here’s what Barker posted on Twitter Sunday: “Good luck to @patty_ice14 (Towles) wherever he decides to go! Spent about 90% of my time at UK w/him. Great person & I know he will do great.”

Towles responded on Twitter with this: “Thanks Buckets! Go ball out next year!”

That’s the way Towles is. I never once remember him making excuses or failing to show for an interview or answer difficult questions after losses. He never criticized teammates, even those who often dropped passes. He had the confidence in the preseason to predict that UK could get to the Southeastern Conference title game because he believe that much in his team.

He’s a Kentucky kid who bled blue and lived his dream at UK for four years even when the times were difficult. He was loyal to Kentucky for four years and now it is time for him to put himself first and do what he needs that is best for him, not Kentucky.

Towles leaves knowing he did all he could for the Kentucky football program and here’s hoping he finds success and happiness not only next year but for many, many years.
    Comments 5 Comments
      UKHistory -
      A very nice article about a good player and sounds like a really a young man of strong character. I wish Towles all the best.
      snoopcat -
      He handled everything professionally that is more than I can say about our coaching staff.

I wish him the best. I truly believe that he cares more about the program of any player that I can remember.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      That's a great article. Every indication was he is a good guy. I wish him the best. Hope he gets the coaching he deserves.
      kingcat -
      All the best to Patrick. Once a Cat!
      BigBluePappy -
      "Towles leaves knowing he did all he could for the Kentucky football program..."

Too bad the same can't be said for some of his teammates or his Coaching Staff.
  • KSR Twitter Feed