Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Petrino, Louisville seniors have enjoyed great success against Kentucky

By: LARRY VAUGHT

During his first four-year coaching stint at Lousville, Bobby Petrino went 4-0 against Kentucky.

When he went to Arkansas, Kentucky and coach Rich Brooks finally beat him 21-20 in 2008. Of course, Petrino repaid UK when he got to Western Kentucky by beating the Cats 35-26 in Mark Stoops’ first game. He beat Kentucky again last year after returning to Louisville.

That makes him 6-1 against Kentucky going into Saturday’s game at Commonwealth Stadium.

“I really don't think about that. Each team's different. It's about the players. It's not like my record. It's the players who played here and the guys who played in the game,” Petrino said. “I've been fortunate enough to coach some of the great players who have played here and competed here and found ways to win with that team.

“That's the one thing that you always talk about is that it's your seniors last regular-season game, the last time this group plays together, this team plays together. You always have memories of the particular teams you coached and the guys who played on them.”

Louisville’s seniors have never lost to Kentucky.

“That's something they take pride in and something they'd like to accomplish,” Petrino said.

Petrino said he’s yet to see the renovated Commonwealth Stadium.

“The No. 1 memory I have going back there is getting all ready for the game and the lightning struck and the rain came down and they emptied the stadium. Here’s my first game coaching college football and I’ve got to stand in the hallway and wait for like an hour and 40 minutes,” Petrino said. “About 15 minutes into it my little brother is in there coaching the offense up, going back and forth. Eric Shelton finally said, ‘Coach, we’ve got it. Relax.’ So I kicked the coaches out of the room and said just let them relax.”

Petrino knows the Cardinals must deal with the noise factor created by UK fans Saturday.

“I think you just have to focus and concentrate and not let the outside influences distract you. That's part of being a football team that can go play on the road and win games on the road. We have some advantages in the fact that we opened the season in Atlanta at Auburn in a huge atmosphere with a loud, loud crowd. We played at Florida State. It shouldn't be unfamiliar to us,” he said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed