Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Bowl game, extra practices on the line in Louisville game

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Not only would Kentucky be bowl eligible it if beats Louisville Saturday, but a win a also would mean coach Mark Stoops’ team would get the extra 15 practices that go along with the bowl preparation.

“We need the practices. I think we’re getting better as the season goes on. We’re developing younger players. We’re getting better. We need the work. As you know, we get to some stretches in the season with the depth of our team, we get beat down at times. With a little bit of time out and to get back and basically have another spring practice would be huge for us,” Stoops said Monday.

Yet he said he would not spend much time talking to his players about a bowl game this week because they know what is at stake against Louisville.

“We’re not afraid to mention it. We will. It’s important for us to get the sixth win, it’s important for us to beat Louisville and end the season on a more positive note,” Stoops said. “It’s about execution. Our team will be motivated to play, and so will there’s. So, I think it’s about controlling those emotions and executing at a higher level. That’s what we’ve been concentrating on: just trying to play better football and do the little things right.

“We’re a program that’s growing and getting better and working to become better. This is another great opportunity for that. So, the motivation will be there. Our players care. They’ve been preparing the right way the past couple weeks. Any rivalry game, there’s going to be more emotions involved, and we have to be able to handle that. If you go to last year, some of the emotions really hurt us. When we score a touchdown and we have some guys that maybe aren’t normally on the sidelines run out on the field and get a 15-yard penalty, that kind of stuff we can’t have. Every yard is going to be important.

“I know we’ve grown, and we’ll talk about those things, but it’s more important for us to be prepared today, to start the week off with a great preparation today through the rest of the week. It’s about our preparation and how we play and the details of the game. So, both sides are going to be excited to play.”

Stoops said there’s no denying that a bowl game, extra practices and added TV exposure are important to a building program like the one at Kentucky.

“I think it’s important for our fans, I think it’s important for our players and I think it’s certainly important for our program to get the practices in and to develop your team,” he said.

Kentucky also needed a win over Louisville last year to get bowl eligible and lost. Louisville coach Bobby Petrino denied that his team would take any extra pleasure from doing that again.

“I would hope they don’t even think about that. It’s really about us winning and finishing our season. Playing for our seniors and taking care of our business. I think that’s what the No. 1 thing is,” Petrino said.

Emotions got a bit out of hand last year during pregame warmups when players from both sides got into a fracas that also involved coaches, including Petrino.

“We just have to focus on playing football really. Really not looking forward to any of that to be honest with you,” Stoops said about the pregame fracas last year. “We don’t need to do that, we need to worry about playing football and I will talk to the team about that. It’s about execution.”

Petrino doesn’t want to see a repeat of last year’s antics, either.

“It's always hard for me to understand, when there's a big game on the line, someone going out and getting a 15-yard penalty. But I was proud of some of our guys in pregame. There were some guys who were surrounded and kept their poise, got hit the face mask and didn't do anything back. So I was proud of the poise we had,” Petrino said.
    Comments 49 Comments
      catmanjack -
      UK should not be in this position they should already have atleast 6 wins.
      dan_bgblue -
      Should be playing for the 8th win

Hope he tells the coordinators, in no uncertain terms, how much is at stake in this game. Often times it is easier to motivate the mature adults than it is the youngsters. They all need to be on the same page by Saturday
      BigBluePappy -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post

Hope he tells the coordinators, in no uncertain terms, how much is at stake in this game. Often times it is easier to motivate the mature adults than it is the youngsters. They all need to be on the same page by Saturday
      catmanjack -
      Several should be worried, one being the special teams coach!
      jazyd -
      Surprised he said we have been improving over the last several weeks. Getting beat by Vandy is not improving, them scoring 21 pts after being shut out by Houston before our game and then again this past Saturday by TAM. Being whipped by MSU and UG is not improving. 8 men on the punt return team, 10 men on the fg team, bad timeouts, is not improving. I know it's coach speak but it makes him look bad

UL certainly isn't great and this is a must have game, if I was betting I would bet on UL
      catmanjack -
      Vandy did get 21 but it was a strange 21.
      Fumble at the 4, pick 6 and then the trick play.
      UK's D has played well the past two games but losing to Vandy still
      stings big time and overall the improvement is not there.
      catmanjack -
      I am really hoping that Petrino over thinks this game and screws his QB situation up, I fully expect Jackson to play a lot because he is a running and UK struggles with running QBs.
      CitizenBBN -
      I get the need for coach speak, but we're improving? Must be in subtle ways that a) I dont' see b/c I'm not a football guy, and b) don't show up in the scoreboard yet.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post

The schedule in my lifetime will never be any easier. 8 home games. 3 cupcakes. 2 midseason Saturdays off allowing extra time off to prepare for the next opponent and give sore bodies time to heal. Everyone in the athletics office and the conference office did everything in their power to give this UK team every competitive advantage. Only when you understand that can you fully understand how bad this season has been, bowl game or not!
      KSRBEvans -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      Several should be worried, one being the special teams coach!
      I see what you did there.
      Terry Blue -
      Look at all the younger players now starting or getting PT that weren't at the beginning of the season. That's the guys that have developed over the season. We will now return something like 16 of 22 starters next season. Granted had we had a better year veteran players now benched may still be starting but the losses have allowed us to play young players earlier. The season was set up to get us a winning season but we have not lost any games we were favored in. The Florida and Auburn games were there for us to win but I don't think anyone would say we have more overall talent on the team than they do. We lost those but could just have easily lost the 4 games we won before Charlotte. The only real disappointing loss to me is Vandy, who was favored over us, but I know we were two or three tds better than them and should have beaten them by that margin. It is what it is and we won't be favored on Saturday. I believe we'll play our hearts out, just hope it's enough. I rewatched the first half of the Charlotte game last night and was impressed with how hard we played
      suncat05 -
      I hope we can beat Louisville, but with as poorly as this team has played in the last half of this season I just cannot be optimistic. These players & coaches have found ways to continue the losing streak against Florida, found a way to lose to Auburn, and found a way to lose to a offensively terrible Vanderbilt team. The only win we have this season where we did not struggle was to the worst team in Division One football. But everybody has been beating Charlotte, so that win means little to nothing.
      And now Louisville & their cheating azz coach come calling. And we have a four game losing streak in progress against them too. And I think I heard that they're favored too. In our house. With a bowl game on the line.
      Are we going to win this one, or will we find a way to lose this one too?
      jazyd -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      Vandy did get 21 but it was a strange 21.
      Fumble at the 4, pick 6 and then the trick play.
      UK's D has played well the past two games but losing to Vandy still
      stings big time and overall the improvement is not there.
      But fumbling at that point is not improving and allowed a weak offensive team an easy TD
      jazyd -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      The schedule in my lifetime will never be any easier. 8 home games. 3 cupcakes. 2 midseason Saturdays off allowing extra time off to prepare for the next opponent and give sore bodies time to heal. Everyone in the athletics office and the conference office did everything in their power to give this UK team every competitive advantage. Only when you understand that can you fully understand how bad this season has been, bowl game or not!
      Mick it's why I said several weeks ago that even if we got to 6 wins I would not be impressed
      catmanjack -
      No you are correct there were issues with every aspect of the team against Vandy.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      That is the worst part. We will never have it this good as far a scheduling. Lost opportunity.

No way anyone (other than Bagdad Terry) can say we have improved or that our younger players have developed this season. The biggest failure of this staff has been the lack of development of our talent.
      catmanjack -
      What Young guys, really there had been one Edwards, yes others have played but he stands out.
      catmanjack -
      OL development has been really bad.
      Dokker -
      With an entire month of extra practice, there is no telling what this coaching staff could accomplish.
      suncat05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dokker View Post
      With an entire month of extra practice, there is no telling what this coaching staff could accomplish.
      They've been working on this since last August. Now it has come down to the last regularly scheduled game of the season, and by my observation, it may not be as improved as we thought it would be. Another month of practice could help, maybe. But at this point I am just not that sure.
  • KSR Twitter Feed