Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Oscar Combs' frogs

Like many of us, I grew up following Oscar Combs and the great Cats Pause he created. Before I was a teenager, I received my favorite gift--a subscription to that wonderful paper that contained tidbits about Kentucky you couldn't find in your local paper. And when we moved out of state, oh, my--the Mobile Press-Register's coverage of Kentucky athletics? Are you kidding me? The Monroe (La.) News-Star World? Really?

Times have changed, and Oscar sold his interest in The Cats Pause, and some like what has happened since; I prefer to think of Oscar's original as the model to which all of us should aspire. In recent years, I have seen some talk about Oscar as if he's an old man, out of touch, and his "contacts" and "sources" not what others are in today's time. And they may be right in some respects. I have noticed that when it comes to the latest coach or recruit scoop, Oscar isn't really on the cutting edge.

But you know what? That's ok with me, too. There are plenty of those who are, some on this board, some in other places, and I guarantee you that anybody that wants to know the latest scoop will know it within minutes, regardless of where they are.

So Oscar has more value than just "scoop." He's one of us, and yet, one of the greats. He does the UK Big Blue Radio Sports Network pre-game show, and although I don't get to listen, many do and love him. He's around the program and interviewed and hosted, and you'll hear him speak of the Cats often.

One of the things that has surprised me is how he has embraced Twitter, which I definitely enjoy. Now, I spend too much time on Twitter, but it's a convenient vice. 140 characters at a time, and you can read it between strokes of a toothbrush as you brush your teeth, or between sips of coffee, or if you're placed on hold on the telephone.

And Oscar Combs, or @wildcatnews for his twitter name, has embraced it. He'll tweet interesting news links he sees around the internet that mostly relate to Kentucky, he will re-tweet other twitter followers who say something interesting or astute; he'll interact with other twitter folks like Larry Vaught (@vaughtsviews, if you're scoring at home), but one of the things I really look forward to is Oscar tweeting about his frogs.

His frogs, who reside in his pond, are the forecasters of games-to-come. Oscar will ask them about the games, and they'll tell him in their own "folksy" way.

Today is a prime example. He had two tweets about his frogs:

a) Trying to get them to share their thoughts about Sunday's game. They wanted to know if I'd noticed there were no redbirds around Ponderosa.

followed by

b) One of frogs had feather sticking out of his mouth. I've told them Humane Society doesn't approve of such tactics. They gave me a crazy look

I lied...a third finished it--for today--

c) We're going to debate the pros & cons of UK-UK today. I'll give update tomorrow. They're very bullish on Cats right now.

You know, his frogs are pretty darn good, too. I've followed them for quite awhile now, and while Oscar may have lost a step, his frogs have picked it up for him. Never discount a guy that has been around UK forever on knowing what makes teams tick, and in predictions.

May Oscar and his frogs live forever. They are both treasures we should all enjoy.
    Comments 5 Comments
      cattails -
      The thing that really ties Oscar and Cawood together is their voice. Once you've heard it you hear no other like it. Oscar has that old folky way of expressing himself, kind of takes you back to an earlier time.
      Jimcats -
      I've been a Cats Pause follower ever since I first learned of it's existence quite some years ago. Your comments on Oscar (never MR Combs) read almost like an obituary in their kind appraisal. Unfortunately the kind words of an obituary are never seen nor heard by the recipient.

I'm glad that your article is available for good ole Oscar to see. for him to know that many of us hold him in high esteem, right up there with Cawood.

Thanks for the good words.
      Darryl -
      Darrell, you may remember but Oscar was the editor for the Hazard Herald when I was in my teens. I used to sell the
      paper door to door. The price was 20 cents and I got to keep a nickel for each paper. We published on Tuesday and
      Thursday of each week. I use to sell about 100 papers each day (there were multiple delivery guys). Averaged $10 a
      week. Not bad for the great city of Hazard in the early 1960s.

Oscar and my older brother are very good friends. I haven't seen Oscar lately but it offends me when I see people make
      fun of him on several other boards. He knows more about UK's tradition than just about anyone left.

By the way, one of my paper route customers was Bill Davis, an All SEC guard on Rupp's 1st national champion team
      in 1933 (Helms). Mr Davis described himself exactly that way...."a guard on coach Rupp's 1st national champ". Mr Davis
      made All American the following season in 1934.

That is why I NEVER denigrate Helms titles. If Coach Rupp and Mr Davis felt it was a title team that was good enough for
      me.

Darryl
      Doc -
      I used to so look forward to receiving the old "newpaper" format in the mail. Like you I no longer reside in KY so getting any news was a god send in the olden days before the net. Heck, I recall sitting in my car on a hill top in a trailer park in Auburn AL listening to UK games on the AM radio (only way I could get WHAS). Between that, the Cats Pause and Street and Smith, I felt I had all the resource info I needed.

In the later years and with the advent of the internet (thank you Al Gore), Oscar slipped quite a bit. In hard print he was the one I always felt had the formula but with the net suddenly it was obsolite. By the time the print copy arrived, all that it had was outdated news. Pre-internet, I anticipated those game write ups and boxscores. With the net it was suddenly instantaneous. No way O.C. could compete with that.

My one criticism of him those is that on radio he comes off like the stereotypic Kentucky hillbilly. The 'drawl but also the passion (so I guess its good with the bad).

Even so I do appreciate all that he did decades ago for me, allowing me to keep in touch with the program. If only for that, he is a good man!
      blue2ksr -
      When the Ron Mercer recruiting "war" was going on, I ran into Oscar at a basketball game and asked him where he thought Ron was going to go.

He looked at me, smiled, winked and said, "Arkansas".

I think he was just trying to aggravate me, lol.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post