Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Preparation, practice irrelevant if can't perform on Saturday

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Quarterback Patrick Towles did not mince words talking about his play or the way the Kentucky offense played in Saturday’s 27-3 loss at Georgia.

"I thought we prepared well. I thought we did everything we had to do put out a good performance, but preparing is great and you want to do the best you can, but it doesn't really matter if you can't perform on Saturday. We've got to perform better,” said Towles, who completed just 8 of 21 passes for 96 yards with two interceptions.

It was a career low in yardage for Towles, who has made 21 starts, and tied his fewest completions in a game. It was also the second time this season he has completed less than 40 percent of his passes — he completed just 33 percent in a loss to Florida — this year.

"I thought I made good decisions today, I just didn't throw the football that well,” Towles said. “There's a lot to that, but I have to get back to work and figure out how to become a better football player."

He might have to do that in a hurry as coach Mark Stoops indicated a starting quarterback change could be coming. Stoops said he had to look at options before UK goes to Vanderbilt and said in “fairness to the team” that includes quarterback.

“I want to win football games, and if I’m not getting it done we need to play somebody else,” Towles, who has six interceptions and just two touchdowns in his last four games, said.

Of course, Kentucky’s offensive line has been a problem area the last four games when it comes to protecting Towles and receviers have also dropped balls. On top of that, leading rusher Boom Williams missed the Georgia game with an elbow injury.

Still, Towles knows he’s the one who has the responsibility for making the offense go no matter what and also will understand that sometimes a change has to be made just to try and change what a team is doing.

“I think it’s fair to say that we have to look at the quarterback position,” Stoops said.

Kentucky opened last year 5-1, then finished 5-7. Kentucky has gone from 4-1 this year to 4-5 with games against Vanderbilt, Charlotte and Louisville left.

"We have three games left so we just have to keep our heads up so we don't have the same results as last year,” running back JoJo Kemp said. “Our guys will come back to practice on Monday and just keep fighting. We will continue to work and get better."
    Comments 10 Comments
      catmanjack -
      Very frustrating but not going to get upset as Stoops either starts to perform or there will be a new coach.
      Felt the same way about Tubbs and BCG not to mention curry and the terrible football I have watched over the years.
      Just seems not matter what UK football performs as it has for the past 35 years.
      That's a long time so I would call that a trend.
      Not sure what the answer is but as the games go by it does not seem that Stoops will be able to change the UK football history.
      I looked at scores and what stood out was that
      this team has gotten worse and others are getting better and fighting for wins.
      Oh well will be waiting for next Saturday.
      ajp40505 -
      Someone in another thread said this football team appears sloppy and listless. I can't think of a greater indictment of the guy in charge.
      blueboss -
      I was thinking last night that they must not be practicing well.

So much for that..

Towles says they are having good practices, and they just can't execute on game day

Not sure where you place the blame? Is it these guys just aren't that good? Might as well play others, can't get any worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
      I was thinking last night that they must not be practicing well.

So much for that..

Towles says they are having good practices, and they just can't execute on game day

Not sure where you place the blame? Is it these guys just aren't that good? Might as well play others, can't get any worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Performance reflects practice. Players can think they perform well in practice, but game action shows that to not be the case.
      TonyRay -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      Performance reflects practice. Players can think they perform well in practice, but game action shows that to not be the case.
      Maybe Towles is like Josh Carrier, hits all the passes in practice but when he steps in games the tightness rears its ugly head. Whatever it is he has been so inaccurate in games along with a lot of drops to go along with it.
      suncat05 -
      The biggest thing I have noticed about THIS YEAR'S TEAM is that the offense has just stopped fighting to advance and win. They're just going through the motions, that's all. The special teams have been horrible this year. The defense would be a lot better than it is if the offense and ST's did their part, but as it stands now the defense is being overwhelmed by the bad play of the offense & ST's.
      And some of the coaching decisions have me scratching my head. Overall, there is a lot of blame to go around as to why this year's team is not performing well. These guys are going to keep messing around and cause us to not go to a bowl this year, which in turn will absolutely hurt future recruiting, which in turn will result in less revenue at the turnstiles, which in turn leaves us where we've been for the last 30 years.........in last or 2nd to last place in football in the SEC. JMHO, based on what I have observed this year.
      catmanjack -
      Total reevaluation is needed from top to bottom.
      jazyd -
      I like PT and the fact he took ownership w/o pointing fingers at his OL or wr's. As far as his bad day, Aaron Rogers had the same stats against Denver and admitted being scared against Charlotte yesterday. It happens to the best of them. If PT played for Bama he would be all SEC because of their OL

If Barker is truly better than why has a Stoops not played him ? If the OL blocks better for Barker Saturday, why?

Why was UG ready to play with all the problems we hear they have...Richt on the hot sestet, players not liking the transfer QB, players not liking OC, DC not getting the job done, Chubb gone for yhe year. And we weren't ready. We had a lot to gain. That falls on Stoops
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      I like PT and the fact he took ownership w/o pointing fingers at his OL or wr's. As far as his bad day, Aaron Rogers had the same stats against Denver and admitted being scared against Charlotte yesterday. It happens to the best of them. If PT played for Bama he would be all SEC because of their OL

If Barker is truly better than why has a Stoops not played him ? If the OL blocks better for Barker Saturday, why?

Why was UG ready to play with all the problems we hear they have...Richt on the hot sestet, players not liking the transfer QB, players not liking OC, DC not getting the job done, Chubb gone for yhe year. And we weren't ready. We had a lot to gain. That falls on Stoops
      Towles would not be all SEC at Bama. Two criteria to be the QB at Bama: accuracy and no mistakes. Alas, PT falls short of those criteria.
      jazyd -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Towles would not be all SEC at Bama. Two criteria to be the QB at Bama: accuracy and no mistakes. Alas, PT falls short of those criteria.
      Mick, IMO, with an OL that gives a QB time, Towles would be much better...not in his release but his timing. I think the lack of protection for two years has caused happy feet and getting rid of the ball early even when it's not necessary. There have been games this year against teams where he really looked good
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post