Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Dawson says he has to put offensive line in better play situations

How has Kentucky's offensive line progressed this season?

That's a question that was posed to UK offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson Tuesday. Enjoy his lengthy answer.

“Thought it’s been good. I’m just gonna tell you: I knew that pass protection was going to be tough versus those guys (Tennessee). And it’s not just when we play ’em; it’s when every other team plays them. You can go watch," said Dawson.

"Pass protection in this league is not the easiest thing. I have to do a better job of protecting those guys. I thought Saturday that I did a poor job of putting them in situations to be successful. I got to reevaluate my approach in certain things and I got to do better. It has nothing to do really with them or their effort and their want-to. Those guys have been battling.

"We got a group of guys that we’re playing with at every position that’s played a lot of snaps, so to sit here to think that the season don’t wear on you, you’re a little bit naive. But I have to do a better job of putting them in situations of getting in manageable situations where there’s a little more evenness to the calls, where you can run or pass.

"When you get in situations where the defensive ends know you’re going to throw the football, you’re typically gonna – I don’t care what league you’re playing in. It’s a problem in today’s football game. I have to do a better job. In my opinion we were in too many third and longs on Saturday. That’s the bottom line. We have to get in some more manageable third down situations. We can’t be effective in those situations. I can do better with that.

"In the run game, I’ll be honest with you, we targeted them and blocked them in the run game as good as anyone did all year. I went back and watched it the last two days and just reevaluating what we’re doing good and what we’re doing bad and I went back and watched their defense against other people just to see what we could do different and I thought our o-line in the run game targeted them and opened up bigger holes than had been opened all year. I thought they did a great job in that.”
    Comments 20 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      Translation: Swindle isn't quick enough to block SEC ends so we will just have to move the pocket to the other side every time.
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      I think he's right about the run blocking. Mikel Horton's 1st career 100 yard game was one of a few bright spots.
      Terry Blue -
      Boom now day to day, would be great if we could get him back for Vandy
      Philly Cat -
      So sick of hearing him say, week after week, that he did a bad job of coaching. The train left Magnanimous Station a long time ago, and now I believe him when he says it.
      catmanjack -
      Could be wrong but I still don't think he plays again this year unless UK makes a bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Boom now day to day, would be great if we could get him back for Vandy
      catmanjack -
      Thought coaches watch a ton of film to develop their game plan, or is that another myth like punters/kickers are not part of special teams.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
      So sick of hearing him say, week after week, that he did a bad job of coaching. The train left Magnanimous Station a long time ago, and now I believe him when he says it.
      Even if it's the standard approach to protect the players, something Stoops has done consistently, it does get old to hear. You can't help but start thinking the quickest way to improve the coaching is to get a different person doing it.
      catmanjack -
      Last week the depth chart had Quinn losing his job and what do the coaches do put him out on a island by himself which he always gets beat one on one and bam the game is over.
      That's the concern I have with the coaches and what I am seeing.
      They know what needs to happen but still put the players in situations they are not effective at.
      jazyd -
      At least I didn't hear it's because we are young
      catmanjack -
      Oh wait we are young look at all the FR starting and playing on D, lol
      blueboss -
      Week ten revelation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Terry Blue -
      We only have one senior starter on Offense
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      We only have one senior starter on Offense
      That can be a blessing and a curse. WRs and RBs seem to keep improving although way too many bad drops from the WRs at crucial times. TE is improved but could be more productive if he wasn't being used to shore up the Swiss cheese Oline. Towles seems to have regressed to me. His inconsistency is maddening and he's already thrown more interceptions on 8 games than he did all of last season against a much more difficult schedule.
      backagain -
      No matter what Dawson says, all I still hear is "if it would have worked, you would have liked it" DUH!!!!

Later...
      WoodstockCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Translation: Swindle isn't quick enough to block SEC ends so we will just have to move the pocket to the other side every time.
      agree but I would really like to see us roll the pocket more than once a ballgame (and it worked).
      Terry Blue -
      Just heard Jesse Palmer, said we,re building talent but still building. Stoops has things going in right direction. Would you rather Stoops throw his players under the bus or take the blame himself.
      catmanjack -
      Not worried about youth and building talent but the lack of evacuation and development of players is a real concern.
      Darrell KSR -
      Would you rather Stoops throw his players under the bus or take the blame himself.
      Take the blame himself. I've always detested the Rick Pitino mode of blaming players.

In my job, if my secretary screws something up, my client, or the opposing party, or whoever, never knows. I take the blame. For one thing, it doesn't matter. I'm responsible for my "team," so who cares if I point the finger at a team member, rather than look at myself in the mirror. For another, your team members will respect you for absorbing the blame in that event and keeping it off them.

Guys like Rick Pitino are immensely successful, so who am I to argue with his model? But I don't like it one bit.
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      Not worried about youth and building talent but the lack of evacuation and development of players is a real concern.
      From the looks of the stands late in the third quarter, I believe our evacuation was great!
      catmanjack -
      I understand the fans leaving just hate that for recruiting as getting better players is
      how you build the program faster.
  • KSR Twitter Feed