Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Defense Gets a Restart with Some Changes

The Wildcats have already, by no choice of their own experienced a defensive change. Defensive has played a game with Matt Elam at the nose-tackle position. The results Head Coach Mark Stoops said there was not great but satisfactory results in the Mississippi State game.

However the overall performance in said game was far less than satisfactory. This prompting some changes in the depth chart. Stoops said when thousands of reps are invested in a player or players and production is less than desired, thousands of reps have to be invested in someone else. Coaches most often say the bench is the strongest motivator. The operative word on the depth chart for the Tennessee game is 'OR.'

Changes are as follows:

* At the NICKEL back – Kendall Randolph has supplanted Blake McClain.

* At a Corner-Back spot – True freshman Derrick Baity has supplanted senior Cody Quinn. Baity as well as Westry was one of the late commitments after some de-commitments in the 2015 class. The aforementioned 'thousands of reps' was in reference to Cody Quinn who is solid but doesn't make plays.

* At the Free-Safety – A. J. Stamps who at one time appeared to be a rising star but as of late has drawn the ire of the head coach. The Stamps we saw in a couple early 2014 games and the guy coaches raved about after virtually every practice, has for whatever reason never returned.

* At the Weak-Side Linebacker – Khalid Henderson replaces Ryan Flannigan who had a couple of outstanding games when he returned off of injury, what's ever the reason? Could be the shoulder is sore and he is favoring it and no ones talking about it.

Remember Mark Stoops' mod-us operand-i is reluctance to talk about injuries. He says if you're healthy enough to get on the field he expects them to perform.

We asked Stoops if it was commonplace for there to be many 6-foot-3, 6-foot-4 corner-backs a available to be recruited every year? “Not many and we have a couple,” Stoops said. “You have to go out and find them.”

Though Shannon Dawson is on the offensive side of the ball, he said - “I'm not going to give last week's performance a complete black eye because we did some good things.”

Does the fact that Stoops is making the changes, that he doesn't think the other guys can't play? NO
    Comments 3 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Quite possibly he is looking for a change in competitive atitude
      MickintheHam -
      Thanks, Lonnie! This is a sign of a troubled defense. Changing out almost 40% of his defense that's almost unbelievable.. Stoops is obviously seeing what many fans see. Time to jump start this defense before we tank the season. Hope this is the turnaroud (i don't use that word lightly) we need.
      jazyd -
      What I saw live Saturday night was disturbing, confusion, no push I passing situations with Elam useless, 3 wr's for MSU out left and we had 2 db's out with them and no safety within 30 yards. No one paying attention to a Dak as he fakes a handoff and trots in from 20 yards.

Thanks Lonnie, now take on the OL. 11 tackles for loss
  • KSR Twitter Feed