Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Abney: Players know importance of UK-Louisville immediately

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Derek Abney didn't win the Heisman, but he was All-American

Former UK All-American receiver Derek Abney says it was not hard for him to know the importance of the Kentucky-Louisville rivalry immediately.

“You knew it from the start. You were immersed in the fact it was more than just an in-state rivarly. Fans made sure you knew, but the upperclassmen also made sure you knew it was a game you had to win,” Abney said. “I played in the very first one, but even as a freshman playing in the first UK-Louisville game (when the series resumed) I knew how big it was.”

Abney knows the game opens the season for both teams today, but he prefers to have the game the third week of the season like it is when UK hosts the rivalry.

“I think if both teams were honest, they would both say they would rather it be the third game,” Abney said. “Then you can put your best foot forward. It’s exciting to have it the first game, but that really favors the veteran team. Of course, having it the first game is a great chance for the underdog to set the tone for the rest of the season by winning like Kentucky could do this time by knocking off a top 25 team. Actually, most players like being the underdog and having a chance to prove the naysayers wrong.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      Darrell KSR -
      Wouldn't mind having a Derek Abney on the field Sunday about 3:30 p.m.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post