Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Murray can play big part in Kentucky success this season

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Others can rave about Jamal Murray all they want — and most college basketball analysts are — but the Kentucky freshman doesn’t pay attention to that or forecasts that he could be a top five pick in the 2016 NBA draft.

“It is a lot to have that said about you, but I have not earned anything yet. I just try to stay focused and make sure this team goes where it needs to go,” said Murray.

A lot of where coach John Calipari’s team goes this year could depend on Murray, who reclassified to the 2015 recruiting class and signed with Kentucky during the summer. Calipari likes the length the 6-5 Murray has and points out how large his hands and feet (he wears a size 17 shoe) are.

“Jamal is a guy you have got to watch,” Calipari said. “He is sneaky athletic. You see his speed and it’s like, ‘Where did he come from?’ His game is just a little different. He was on a team (at Orangeville Prep in Canada) that never got to playing off one another.”

Calipari said he was overwhelmed when he saw Murray play with the Canadian Pan-American team.

“At this point I don’t even know what his upside is,” Calipari said. “I could look at Karl (-Anthony Towns last year) and knew where we could take him. But this kid is just starting to show me stuff. Where is this going? The good news is we have guards who are positionless. Either Jamal or Isaiah (Briscoe) can be on the ball with Tyler (Ulis) away from the ball and he can make shots.

“Jamal can guard big guards. We could switch off and he could guard a 5 (center), and he wants to guard him. If it is a 7-foot 5, he will fight. Last year we switched Tyler on some 5’s and he did fine because he would fight.”

Murray’s father proudly pointed out when he signed with Kentucky that good players can adapt and play any position, something Murray also believes.

“Yeah, just like coach Cal says with positionless offense and positionless players. I can play one through five, whatever you need me on offense or defense. I am always up to the task or challenge. I can play my position or let Tyler and Briscoe play (point) and put me on the wing.

“As long as you defend, you are fine. I know he (Calipari) stresses defense a lot and will make sure we are not allowing easy baskets no matter who is playing.”

Murray’s team came to three different venues to play in Kentucky early last season. However, at the time the Kentucky recruiting target at Orangeville was 7-footer Thon Maker, who did not reclassify. Murray emerged as the season went on and became a significant UK target when it was clear he would reclassify and finished the season with a ban.

“I did like the games in Kentucky. The games were fun and against good competition. We did pretty good, too,” Murray said. “But I didn’t really pay much attention to the Kentucky fans then and I am not sure they paid that much attention to me.”

He insists nothing drastically changed in his play from November to April even though most recruiting analysts would interject that he made a huge climb.

“I just was playing in different system and got to show my stuff more late in the year. Just depends on what position you put me in and what my role on my team is,” Murray said. “Reclassifying was not even on my mind in December. But as the year went on, we just felt the time was right to go and coming to college would be a great experience for me. I just had to make the decision to go to Kentucky and now I have to get the job done.”

He feels transferring to Orangeville Prep last year helped him get more recruiting looks.

“A lot of coaches saw me. It came down to exposure and academics, so it really helped me being there,” Murray said. “It just took me a little bit of time to get everything worked out with reclassifying. I had all the right courses. I had no real problems. I just had to upgrade a couple of things.”

Murray was considered the best play at the Nike Hoop Summit.

“I have had better games than that. I still go back and look at what I could have done better,” he said. “There have been many games a lot better than that. I am never satisfied. My dad is my hardest critic and I like that. Everything he says I just listen and he has put me in the best situation and position possible.”

He followed his impressive all-star play with a magnificent stint with the Canadian Pan-American team during tryouts against college and NBA players. Calipari even tried to find a way to work out his academic schedule at Kentucky so he could compete in the Pan-American Games but the dates did not work.

“It was fun in the Pan-American team. A lot of those guys are strong and the rules are different and you have to adjust to the game,” Murray said. “But I played the same way and got a lot of experience. I already had enough confidence but it did help me go in there and play with those guys.”

He got to Kentucky later than his other teammates, but says he has been fine in the Bluegrass.

“I have not left campus. I am trying to get to know the buildings where my classes are,” he laughed and said in a September interview. “I have been in and out of the country for months. I have taken more planes than taxis. It is nice to be here. Just settle down, get unpacked and relax.

“I still have plenty of time to get together with my teammates. Everybody just has to work into it. We are still trying to figure out strengths on the team. We will be fine. I have no doubt about that.”
    Comments 9 Comments
      Padukacat -
      Mr. Murray, I was paying attention to you when you came to Kentucky. It was hard not to notice the guy. The first time I saw Murray I thought who is this guy hes a hustler and winner and must be one of those mid level D1 guys that shows well in high school but for some reason is ignored...then time went by and you figure out hes just that good. I really didn't get to see him after he blew up, but I know he had one game where he just blew up and scored 40 or so, i'm thinking Larry or critter may have seen him.
      CGWildcat -
      Good article LV, thank you! I don't keep up with recruiting like most of you but it sounds like Murray is quite the player, (not to be confused with playa).

For years, I've wanted to see Cal take the brake off and let the boys play....maybe this year?
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
      Good article LV, thank you! I don't keep up with recruiting like most of you but it sounds like Murray is quite the player, (not to be confused with playa).

For years, I've wanted to see Cal take the brake off and let the boys play....maybe this year?
      The playas go to another school.
      Krank -
      The thing I like about Murray is what seems to be that quiet confidence that comes from appreciation of work, an internal drive, and the desire for the results on the court to be limitless.

It's as if he's sneaking up on the basketball world and nobody REALLY knows what's about to hit them.
      kingcat -
      With Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray we have (at least) three young men who can go get you a basket in a number of ways. Off the dribble on the perimeter, the mid-range shot, at the rim, or by the dime.

Given the caliber player we're talking about, and their varied physical traits, that is quite unusual.
      Padukacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      With Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray we have (at least) three young men who can go get you a basket in a number of ways. Off the dribble on the perimeter, the mid-range shot, at the rim, or by the dime.

Given the caliber player we're talking about, and their varied physical traits, that is quite unusual.
      I agree I don't think we've had three guys with such balanced talent to make things happen, can't wait to see them on the court. If our big guys can perform and one of them happens to be named skal then I can see things coming together late. Like really together. Gotta have a big man step up.
      catmanjack -
      Murray much play a large role for this team to be good.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      The playas go to another school.
      The one with the Billy Mindardi Memorial Chicken Ranch.

I love Murray, great talent but also very mature, very hard working, a natural winner. Cal recruits winners, guys who just get things done, make things happen.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      I agree I don't think we've had three guys with such balanced talent to make things happen, can't wait to see them on the court. If our big guys can perform and one of them happens to be named skal then I can see things coming together late. Like really together. Gotta have a big man step up.
      This really is a team made for the DDM approach. Move and play off each other, drive and dish and space out.
  • KSR Twitter Feed